A chance encounter this afternoon (young Red Fox cub)

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I chanced upon 5 small Red Fox cubs earlier this afternoon, they were well spread out along the edge of a field so I was only able to photograph one at any time, here's a couple of shots of the one closest to me.
Panasonic G1 with 100-300mm Panasonic lens, minimal post processing in Bibble Pro 5, images not cropped.

1030235.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1030229.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

They're so cute aren't they? We have three cubs who are frequenting our garden at the moment. One walked into my kitchen from the open conservatory in the early evening a couple of weeks ago. I must say that they are becoming a bit of a nuisance though as they are digging quite madly under the garden fence in several places and bringing back all sorts of rubbish. They have eaten some of my plants and stolen my gardening shoe! I wish they would find a new home as I really don't want to have to shut the conservatory up in the height of Summer every time I leave the room :( What can I do? I live in suburban Surrey!

Wonderful, Barrie! When I see these two, it's difficult to remember they're wild animals. This must have been so exciting! I would have loved to have been there.

I've had the pleasure of seeing foxes but never as close as this. They are awfully cute.

P.S. Barrie, you're getting to like that lens a great deal, aren't you?

Is it possible to play with a fox cub as if it was a dog pup? Maybe the cub wouldn't know (yet) that he is supposed to be wild? That cob was so cute!! And I don't even like pets!

Barrie,

I was hiking in the smoky mountains in NC once and saw a mother bear and her cub not more than 20 yards away. We stayed on the path and just kept still and the Mama and cub went on their way. I guess I just kinda worry about those situations.

Barrie,

I was hiking in the smoky mountains in NC once and saw a mother bear and her cub not more than 20 yards away. We stayed on the path and just kept still and the Mama and cub went on their way. I guess I just kinda worry about those situations.

Jason
I know which species I would rather meet in a Mother/youngster situation, give me a Red Fox any day, not that I've got any experience with bears, thank goodness :)
In my 50 odd years of watching wild creatures I've always tried to minimise any pressure that my presence puts on them, so I guess your reaction to the situation you found yourself in was the correct one, well done for keeping a cool head.

Barrie

Back