A chilly bike ride

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
I had 4 cameras in my handlebar bag on Saturday’s outing: X-T1, a rented Canon G1X Mk III, Canon S95, and an Olympus 35RC film camera. The S95 did fairly well in the low light conditions I was faced with most of the day. I was evaluating the G1X Mk III for potential purchase, but I basically ruled out that option by the end of the 2nd day of using the camera. The X-T1, in my eyes, was the clear IQ champion yesterday. I also much prefer its haptics over the G1X Mk III. All of the following were with the X-T1 and 23mm WR.

Shortly after daybreak, looking down at the lake 800+ feet below. I’d be riding my bike past that bridge a couple of hours later.
DSCF0576a.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mill Creek has many waterfalls, and some really serious drop-offs from the edge of the trail into the ravine. I have a couple of other images where I tried to capture some of the real monster drops, but the photos didn’t do it justice. As it is, someone was killed at the largest waterfall in these photos a few years ago. I had to lock my bike to a tree and scramble down some very steep hillsides to get a few of these images.
DSCF0578a.jpg

DSCF0579a.jpg

DSCF0580a.jpg

DSCF0589a.jpg

DSCF0586a.jpg

DSCF0587a.jpg

The RR bridge up close. Unfortunately, not long after I started back up the trail leading out of the canyon, I heard a train coming into the gorge, but I didn’t have time to go back and try to catch it on the bridge.
DSCF0583a.jpg

Looking up at the park lodge. Complete solitude down there; didn’t see another person along the trails all morning until I was almost back at the top.
DSCF0584a.jpg

Looking from the RR bridge up toward the bluff where I was standing in image #1. Yes, there’s a trail that snakes down the face of the cliff to the bottom, and the drop-off from it is terrifying!
DSCF0585a.jpg

Back near the top, looking at the ancient mill where Westlake Creek enters Mill Creek.
DSCF0590a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a gorgeous place. If it were out here in Oregon, those waterfall pools would be full of bearded hipsters.
Out here they're empty until the temp rises above 40F, then 20-something couples with cell phones and older couples out for a Saturday stroll appear out of nowhere. When I arrived at the trailhead shortly after daybreak, mine was the only vehicle in sight. By the time I got back to the car, the gravel lot was packed. I think most people are just crawling out of bed at the same time I'm hitting the woods.

Back