A completely unexciting and unspectacular bridge

Oh I don't know, I like them, especially the 2nd one. It's funny how you see something and it just strikes you as a "this could be interesting" moment. I have a lot of those moments and every once in a while I get lucky..

A quick first try without any toning. Maybe I should give it a proper try when I'm home again.

View attachment 1389

Attachments

• konrad_adenauer_bruecke_bw_klein.jpg
    konrad_adenauer_bruecke_bw_klein.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 219
After developing the RAW in LR 4.4 to a rather neutral color TIFF, I imported that image into Aperture and used a black&white film simulation (maximum-contrast Tri-X 400) while unchecking the b&w conversion, so I got the colors and gradation of a b&w film (different b&b films have different sensitivities to R,G and B). Then I added 55% of monochromatic light cold blue, tweaked the WB colder and greener and adjusted saturation and color gain.

This is what the TIFF from LR looks like:

8635998644_fef69a5c58_c.jpg

This is what a Tri-X 400 high-contrast version if the image looks in color:

8636004794_719fa4797c_c.jpg

And again the end result with monochromatic light blue and additional tweaking:

8626372570_d8a6372db8_c.jpg

For some subjects, black&white films make great color films...

More examples of me using this method (damn, I am giving away all my secrets...)

8125485871_e9102f21ed_c.jpg

DSCF5088 by ricopress, on Flickr

8144373482_a4b72e3b85_c.jpg

DSCF6078 by ricopress, on Flickr

8144372476_6ea87b7c1a_c.jpg

DSCF6051 by ricopress, on Flickr

8142967576_f45944a0aa_c.jpg

DSCF6012 by ricopress, on Flickr

No, it's all in Aperture, as I need full control over everything. Fixed film simulation presets don't help much. That's why I like VSCO, they are expensive, but they offer full control over each parameter, so I can use them for entirely different things than those they were initially made for.

I guess that is what I was wondering whether you used VSCO simulations.

I do not want to spend too crazily as I learn. I have Aperture, and was thinking of getting the $126 Nik suite because I want to do black and white. Not sure I am ready to buy more than that for now. Is that a good approach?

I am now basically using VSCO instead of SEP2 für B&W conversion, it keeps things simple and it's still looking great. I also have Topaz B&W FX and OnOne, and DxO FilmPack 3, so I'm fully covered.

So I tried with the LR (not Aperture) VSCO presets and there the Tri-X 400 does not have that outrageous look yours have. I basically go (screen captures) from:

View attachment 1465

to:

View attachment 1466

So I am wondering if the presets are so wildly different (I read blogs complaining they are) between LR and Aperture, or if you did something else, or if my first image is wrong (I used the HSL panel to bump up the saturation of the water and that's pretty much it).

Also I don't understand what you mean by adding a monochromatic light blue. What does that translate into in terms of LR (or Aperture in your case I guess) actions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.40.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.40.24 AM.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.40.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-12 at 8.40.48 AM.png
    83 KB · Views: 100
I don't know how VSCO works in Lightroom, as I don't own or use a LR version, and I also can't help you with duotones in Lightroom. I think it's not an obvious feature.

Many people tell me that Aperture is outdated and useless (often implying that the very same is true for anybody who's still happily using it ;) ), but I keep using it as I find plenty of features that I've never seen in Lightroom. I am also very happy with the Aperture versions of VSCO.

I'm looking forward to "Aperture X" and the new Apple Camera Raw that will support both X-Trans and EXR sensors.

Got it. I actually liked Aperture's UI better and its projects were something I could easily understand. Do you the curves in the Enhance brick?

I decided to try Lghtroom because I figured that its plugins would be portable and so the plugin I want to play with writing would be available to more people. Tough ironically I know Objective-C and not Lua (yet).

I certainly hope that there will be a new Aperture that competes with (and beats) Lightroom. And at the very least a new camera raw.

Since I know that Fuji is working with Apple on X-Trans and EXR support, I expect a new Apple Camera Raw. For me, that only makes sense in combination with a new Aperture version. The fact that VSCO is still making Aperture versions of their new presets is also a strong hint that Aperture isn't dead. Plus, Apple will introduce new Pro Macs in 2013.

Since I know that Fuji is working with Apple on X-Trans and EXR support, I expect a new Apple Camera Raw. For me, that only makes sense in combination with a new Aperture version. The fact that VSCO is still making Aperture versions of their new presets is also a strong hint that Aperture isn't dead. Plus, Apple will introduce new Pro Macs in 2013.

Camera Raw without an Aperture makes sense as it provides a system level service. However, Camera Raw + Aperture + some well down Fuji photographer's showcases/studios would be quite good PR.

I also think Apple will keep Aperture. They once were at the mercy of Adobe and that was quite painful, especially as Adobe was becoming very successful with Windows. I was an employee then and these were intense times. I just wish the secrecy culture dwindled a bit at least for software... Sometimes people need a bit of information. I read about people going to Lightroom just to know that they will have a roadmap.

Found the article I was thinking about re: VSCO's look on LR and Aperture.

System level services only make sense for serious applications that actually use it. The fact is, Aperture (and iPhoto) are pretty much the only serious applications using Apple Camera Raw. We don't really need X-Trans and EXR support for the "Preview" application. ;) Also, plenty of Mac users have all their pics stored in iPhoto. Apple would get into serious trouble if they abandoned those users and all their images. Alienating pro AND home users doesn't sound like a great stategy to sell more Macs. So I expect a new Aperture that will most likely also replace iPhoto. They already share the same file structure. And don't forget the printing service business. You can oder prints, books, cards etc. direcly from iPhoto and Aperture. I simply can't see Apple giving up all of this for no appearant reason.

Back