A Day at the MFA

Covey22

Hall of Famer
Took a day off to get some culture, beat the weekend crowds and exercise the shutter. Boston MFA had a showing of Ansel Adams, and I'd never been there, so a good excuse all around. Arrived early enough that they hadn't opened yet. My party took shelter in the entrance way from the bitter cold while I did some exterior work.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0003-Edit-LREdit.jpg

It's a gorgeous building, and beautiful art abounds immediately. This sculpture of Orpheus and Cerebrus overlooks the lobby.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0005-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Even the cafeteria has Modernist Industrial sensibilities. Note Adams' famous "Tetons and the Snake River" are prominently displayed. No photography was allowed in the traveling exhibits, so that's all the Ansel you'll see in this thread.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0008-Edit-LREdit.jpg

The galleries are beautiful and filled with work I knew and never heard of. I was just a bit dazed by the proximity of Van Gogh to Renoir and Cezanne.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0064-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Large skylights to appreciate the work clearly, and seating to contemplate and take in your surroundings.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0028-Edit-LREdit.jpg

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0034-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Personal and Educational Tour groups were scattered about, taking apart the finer points of the artwork.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0063-Edit-LREdit.jpg

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0045-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Just a couple of works that caught my eye: Juno, a modernist take on the Geisha Dress, and an elaborate dollhouse.

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0092-Edit-2-LREdit.jpg

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0068-Edit-LREdit.jpg

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0049-Edit-LREdit.jpg

The large galleries were connected by sprawling corridors with artwork themes (Impressionist, Modernist, etc.) and it filled about four levels, book-ended by imposing stairs and landings. Overall, you can easily spend the day there and not see it all. I'll have to go back on a day when they have Performance Art in the halls, which should be really interesting. Thanks for looking!

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0015-Edit-LREdit.jpg

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0016-Edit-LREdit.jpg

BOS-MFA-JAN-2019-0086-Edit-2-LREdit.jpg

Looks very nice!

We have now here in Finland the Museum Card, a card which entitles free entry to all museums in Finland and other venues with exhibitions. It cost just roughly $50 per year. I’ve visited so many exhibitions last year which I wouldn’t without the card. I’ve visited same museums, even same exhibitions, multiple times and only then you start to really ‘see’ them. What a nice invention!

Number of visitors in museums in Finland went through the roof last year and year before that. I really think nowadays that art, whatever form, makes life worth living. It separates as humans from other mammals.

Boston MFA really looks place worth visiting.

If you're an account holder with one the larger Banks in the area, they have a "Museums On Us" plan where you can gain free admission on the weekends. I've only taken advantage of it a few times, real life gets in the way, and the Friday I went to the MFA, I dodged all the weekend traffic and had the place mostly to myself.

Back