A day in the Long Mynd, Shropshire, UK.

Herbert Hound

Top Veteran
Name
Colin
I took the hound to the Long Mynd ("Long Mountain") yesterday and here's a few piccies wot I took!

Walking along Cardingmill Valley floor. There were a number of school visits around doing their Geography field trips so the valley floor was crowded. However; as a retired teacher I know how difficult it is to take pupils anywhere and it's great to see kids from inner city Birmingham out in the countryside and I always try and chat to them or their teachers. Tufnell got a lot of fuss and attention from them which everyone seemed to enjoy.

P9130161-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P9130122-2-Edit.jpg

Then the climb up out of the valley up Mott's Road. The Long Mynd has been grazed common land from the 13th Century and every path and track has a name.

P9130149-2-Edit.jpg

Up onto The Burway. It's pretty bleak on the top...

P9130006-Edit.jpg

Looking over the Mynd towards Caer Caradoc there's Bodbury Ring Hill Fort. It's over 2500 years old and was in constant use throughout the Iron Age by the Celtic tribe of the Cornovii...

P9130003-Edit.jpg

A 5-shot pano...

P9130012-Pano-Edit.jpg

Welsh ponies roam wild on the Mynd...

P9130054-Edit.jpg

P9130090-Edit.jpg

We mooched around for quite a while then headed back down. Looking out over the town of Church Stretton...

P9130094-Edit.jpg

I just like the rock face and the path below it...

P9130124-Edit.jpg

And back to the valley floor for a coffee and some chocolate hobnobs with Tufnell...

P9130140-Edit.jpg

I suppose I really should get my act together and drive up The Burway road before sunrise to get a load of piccies. We'll see!!

It's a great place for a walk, Colin, I've been there many times. The NT cafe is particularly good. I saw all the schoolkids with their theodolites last time (actually nearly a year ago) - it seems that it's now in regular use for field trips.
Great photos too by the way! I especially like the one of the rock face.

It's a great place for a walk, Colin, I've been there many times. The NT cafe is particularly good. I saw all the schoolkids with their theodolites last time (actually nearly a year ago) - it seems that it's now in regular use for field trips.
Great photos too by the way! I especially like the one of the rock face.
Thanks, Martin. The NT café is really good, but they put their prices up in the Spring and it's now a "bad weather only" café for me... plus it was full of kids! The rock face is my favourite too.

A marvellous photo essay! I enjoyed every one of these beautiful pictures and I'm sure you must have had a lovely day!

Aha!! Is this a nod to Spinal Tap ? I do hope so :love:
Thanks very much for this, Irene.

I'm afraid that the Spinal Tap reference would be Nigel Tufnel with one "l". He's named after Phil Tufnell, the England left-arm spin bowler from the 90s.

Back