A Days Nature Watching

Mal

Veteran
As it is half-term week... My wife and daughter were in London having a 'girlie' few days away... I thought it the ideal time to have my own away-day. So after checking the weather and the tide timetables... on-line, everything was falling into place. Decided to take one of my Leica's and Canon SX30is for those longer shots...

So I was up at 4.30.am. for the drive to the Dee Estuary and the long walk over the sands (1-1.5 hours) in total darkness to reach the Islands before the tide rushed in to cut off the way back... and leave me on the islands for 8 hours+

Had some great sitings, including short eared owl, gannets, brent geese, dunlin, heron, pippits, sanderlings, turnstones, masses of oyster catcher & gulls and the list goes on and on...:rolleyes:
View attachment 43554
Reaching the Islands as the sun rises
View attachment 43555
View to Hilbre Island... I stayed on 'Middle Eye island' to avoid shooting into the sun
View attachment 43556
Oyster Catchers
View attachment 43557
Approaching high tide, and totally cut off, and alone on 'Middle eye'
View attachment 43558
Out to sea...
View attachment 43559
Is he photographing me??? an inquisitive grey seal
View attachment 43560
Just some of the 1000's of Oyster Catchers
View attachment 43561
A long way back to the mainland...
View attachment 43562
Oyster Catchers
View attachment 43563
View of 'Middle Eye' as the tide recedes...
View attachment 43564
Its a shame but its a jungle out there....
Sorry its such a long post...;)

Please, Mal - never ever apologize for "such a long post" especially when it's filled with such super pictures! What a great day you had - and I would much prefer to have gone along with you than with your wife and daughter, even though I, too, am a female. Oyster Catchers are one of my favorites - and that wide eyed seal's face makes a great counter point.

Please continue to add more of your pictures here. I'm living vicariously and enjoying every photograph.:drinks:

I'm with BB, Mal. No apologies needed, the longer post simply warrants even bigger thanks for some very enjoyable images....especially from someone land-locked with 100kms or so to the nearest coast. Nice to smell the sea water again. Love the sealion!!!

Back