Sigma A few DP2m images....

That bee, Andy!! How the hell did you manage that? what a fantastic shot, complete with shadow! I always think "wow!" for DP shots, but that one takes the cake. Brilliant.

Thanks Sue!!

Yeah it was a difficult one! I had the Sigma AML-2 Close Focus Lens on the camera so I could get it a little closer. There was a big bush outside the house and it was full of bees luckily. I just snapped away when I saw a bee hovering. In this case i just got lucky! I wish the bee was a bit more in focus but hey, it looks OK. I'm very chuffed that the wings are perfectly spread out and that there is a decent shadow.

It does impress me that the DP can get this type of shot. It's an easier camera to use than people think! I'm thinking of getting the DP1m now for street and landscape! Gotta love the detail in DP images, It blows EVERYTHING else out the water except 5D mk3 and D800! - even then it's too close to call!!:D

no time to really take a proper shot, but since it arrived this morning, I had to fire a few test shots. Yes, it takes 10 seconds to write an image to the card. And yes, the Sigma software is agonizingly slow. But the files are too beautiful. The details are ludicrous without even sharpening, and the colors are luxurious and rich.
View attachment 70552
SDIM0002 by Lukinosity, on Flickr
View attachment 70553
SDIM0005 by Lukinosity, on Flickr
View attachment 70554
SDIM0008 by Lukinosity, on Flickr

feel free to go check them out full size on flickr (or at least a little bit bigger). I did zero to barely any processing at all. On the shot of Lucy (the brown dog), you can see clearly that I missed the focus by just a touch because of the shallow DOF.....the eyeleashes on the far eye are sharply in focus while the near eye is slightly soft.

They were all shot at ISO100 and shot wide open in miserable light...we're expecting rain today. Maybe I can get some sunny photos next week.

What do you think, Luke? Keeper?

I will definitely be keeping it as a niche camera. The only problem I see with it is once you get used to looking at how these files look at 100%, everything else is sort of a letdown. It's certainly limiting in many respects, but the rewards are so great that is worth working within those limitations. And although I've always been anti-flash and been a keen "available light" photographer, the necessity to keep the camera at ISO100 has me considering learning strobist techniques.

I read somewhere that the base ISO is 200, so that should definitely be a safe ISO to use. I have it set to auto ISO up to 400.

I can't seem to find a straight answer about which ISO is base. I found some ISO vs ISO 200 test shots with the ISO 200 being noisier.

If you don't match exposure for the test shots, ISO 100 will be less noisy even if ISO 200 is base. At least one person claimed to get the info straight from Sigma that ISO 200 is base. I'll do a test later to see if ISO 100 and 200 are the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Back