Canon A few from around a farm

I wish I'd known you were around. John Griggs and I are in the next County to the east. I used to ride my bike well into Lancaster County back when I was in serious riding shape. Nice photos - it's an incredibly beautiful area.

-Ray

For some reason I thought of you guys as more in Philly. We may be back next year. We stayed near White Horse, which I think is on the eastern edge of Lancaster County. (??)

For some reason I thought of you guys as more in Philly. We may be back next year. We stayed near White Horse, which I think is on the eastern edge of Lancaster County. (??)

Nope, White Horse is a about 20 miles from either of us and Philly is about another 25 further east. None of it's that far apart. I used to ride my bike out farther than White Horse pretty regularly. The ridge in the distance in your first photo is pretty close to the border between Lancaster and Chester County and we're several miles on the other side of that. Do you have family out there, or some sort of retreat or something? Incredible country, for sure...

-Ray

My wife likes the (idea of the) farm life and the kids were wooed by Hershey. We're also partial to the Sight and Sound theater and some of the quieter elements of life around there. We did Gettysburg 2 years ago, and have some friends in York. We may make it a habit for the next couple of years, though with traffic this time, it took us 10 hours to get home (ugh).

Hey, John and Ray -- what's a Beet Egg and why do folks in Lancaster County call it a vegetable, lol.

Usually called a "red beet egg". Just a hard boiled egg pickled in beet juice and spices. Despite the abundance of farm-fresh produce, many local restaurants are light on green vegetables. Lots of beige colored food. I live in the "neighborhood" as well...

Did you try an egg?

Usually called a "red beet egg". Just a hard boiled egg pickled in beet juice and spices. Despite the abundance of farm-fresh produce, many local restaurants are light on green vegetables. Lots of beige colored food. I live in the "neighborhood" as well...

Did you try an egg?

As someone who tries to eat leafy greens and lean meats, I found meal time tough going! I did not try a beet egg. I like beats, eggs, and pickles but would prefer something like that on a salad. I didn't realize they were pickled, too. I'll have to give it a try next time.

I actually didn't recognize it from its name, but as soon as Dean started describing it, I can picture it clearly. And have never eaten one...

Dean, we've probably discussed it before, but if so I've spaced it out - where in the "neighborhood" do you live?

-Ray

Pickled beats in the fall, pickled eggs is the leftover spiced vinegar! Gives the eggs that beautiful pink/purple color. Ummmmm! we grew up eating both as a kid on the small dairy farm. Still eat and like them both. :)

As someone who tries to eat leafy greens and lean meats, I found meal time tough going! I did not try a beet egg. I like beats, eggs, and pickles but would prefer something like that on a salad. I didn't realize they were pickled, too. I'll have to give it a try next time.

We tend not to eat at typical local places. Beyond the health issues the food just tends to be bland. But there are plenty of good choices, especially as you head Ray's way on the map.

I actually didn't recognize it from its name, but as soon as Dean started describing it, I can picture it clearly. And have never eaten one...

Dean, we've probably discussed it before, but if so I've spaced it out - where in the "neighborhood" do you live?

-Ray

Ray, I'm in Lebanon county. Probably an hour from where Bill was staying. Not too different than Lancaster, though I think they got our helping of "quaint".

Ray, I'm in Lebanon county. Probably an hour from where Bill was staying. Not too different than Lancaster, though I think they got our helping of "quaint".

I guess I didn't know that - I'd have probably remembered. Tucked in there between Lancaster and Berks and close to Harrisburg/Hershey area... I've been through the area but I don't know it as well as Lancaster, particularly eastern Lancaster. I think Lancaster got EVERYONE's helping of "quaint"!

-Ray

Quaint, as long as you stay off Route 30! 340 is a much nicer way to travel.

Yeah, 340 and 322 are both nicer. But the real beauty of Lancaster County are all of the little barely named back roads, mostly paved, but some dirt, that connect all of the farms and little villages. I used to do an annual 100 mile bike ride that started and ended just a few miles down from my place and goes out through western Chester County and quite a distance into Lancaster County, but mostly stays to the south of White Horse. And Chester County is beautiful, but once out into Lancaster, it seemed like every time we'd crest a hill or come around another corner, an absolutely amazing and beautiful new view would be there waiting. Once I'd done it a few years running, I sort of got to know the area and knew what to expect, but those first couple of times I did that full ride I remember just being out of my mind at how beautiful it was. Since I can't ride that much anymore, I've tried going for drives out there, but it just isn't quite the same from a car as on a bike. Maybe a scooter is in my future somewhere...

-Ray

Back