Micro 4/3 A few from the new Olympus M. Zuiko 25mm F1.8

The images above don't really show how good and sharp this lens is. We had it in store and used it on the new E-M10 and the results were outstanding! Deff on my shopping list!

Yes, some of the shots I've seen show rendering very close to the 45mm F1.8. Once the dreary snow days are done, I will hopefully be able to show more photos that do justice to the lens.

Nice! You scored an orange one in an US shop?

I just ordered one from B&H when they popped up in stock (looks like they are also at Unique Photo)... same price ($50 discount) as the silver/black version. She had been wanting something with a zoom to replace her Q, and I had been going back and forth between the GM1 and the RX100 II.

Boy those results look close.

Funny enough the Oly looks sharper but since it was shot on a Oly body it makes sense since each company have their own in-body corrections.

Although from my memory, I don't think I've seen my Panaleica 25mm look that sharp.

I'd have to sell my PL25 first though ... and doubtful there'll be too many buyers (at a fair sales price) now that the Oly appears to be better in just about every facet other than f/1.4.

I'd have to sell my PL25 first though ... and doubtful there'll be too many buyers (at a fair sales price) now that the Oly appears to be better in just about every facet other than f/1.4.

Odd, "other than" implies something of little importance. The difference between f/1.8 and f/1.4 is usually perceived as great enough to warrant a 2-3x higher price. I would say that the Oly is too expensive, it should cost less than 200 bucks.

Odd, "other than" implies something of little importance. The difference between f/1.8 and f/1.4 is usually perceived as great enough to warrant a 2-3x higher price. I would say that the Oly is too expensive, it should cost less than 200 bucks.

I believe the maximum aperture difference is actually less than that. Or at least according to Robin Wong's head to head comparison. Check out his review on one of the links provided above.

I believe the maximum aperture difference is actually less than that. Or at least according to Robin Wong's head to head comparison. Check out his review on one of the links provided above.

As far as I know he is an Olympus employee, which makes his comparisons "Oly vs X" extremely biased. Until someone w/o bias confirms that Oly has better "transmission", I'm assuming Pana is 2/3 of a stop faster.

The price difference between an f/1.8 and f/1.4 prime would usually also come with an increase in material quality, a better autofocus system, more aperture blades, etc. In this case the Olympus will likely be a better lens mechanically than the Panasonic, although the external finish won't be quite as good if it is made to the same standard as the 45mm f1.8.

Back