Scenic A few shots from the Pennines in Northern England (and an ode to the Olympus 12-100)

pdk42

All-Pro
Name
Paul
The Pennines is an area of uplands in the North of England. I spent a few hours there recently and bagged a few shots of the rolling hills in decent light. I thought I'd share them! All images are with the Olympus EM1.3, and all but one are with the 12-100 f4. I think this combo is a superb tool for landscapes and shows how m43 can play with FF in a genre that is often thought to need high MP and large sensors to deliver good results.

All the images are processed from raw using LR, and in some cases, with Nik ColorFx (free Google edition). A number of the shots are light-touch HDR - a technique that works very well on the EM1.3 with its 60fps electronic shutter.

This is a view from near the town of Brough. I liked the colours of the sunlight on the fields with the hills in the background poking into the clouds. Shot with the 12-100 at 100mm. This is what I love about this lens for landscapes - a short telephoto is often the perfect tool for a landscape and I can get to 200mm effective without a lens swap. The shot is a HDR composite from 5 images at -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2 EV and stacked in LR. Doing such a 5-shot burst is a joy with the EM1.3 - using the e-shutter at its fastest rate (60 fps) means that 5 frames takes almost no time (and it's silent!).
EM131648-HDR-Edit_1600.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a view towards Snardale. Again it's with the 12-100, and at 100mm again. I really liked the variation of lighting, colour and tones in this scene. The clouds make it all very moody too. It's a 5-shot HDR stack.
EM131775-HDR-Edit_1600.jpg

This is a scene from near Brough. Again with the 12-100, this time at 54mm. And again, a 5-shot HDR composite, but I don't think it was really necessary - the DR wasn't too bad.
EM131653-HDR-Edit_1600.jpg

Now a couple of non-HDR shots. The first at 50mm, the second at 70mm, so both are short-tele landscapes. I loved the colours of the fields and the leading lines of the stone walls.

EM131705-Edit_1600.jpg

EM131683-Edit_1600.jpg

This shot is of Brough Castle. A ruin and a nice focal point. I'd lost the better light by this time, so the shot was a bit flat and I had to work at in PP. This time shot a bit wider - at 28mm.

EM131810-Edit_1600.jpg

Now a shot at the 12-100's widest setting of 12mm. And as a bonus, two PP interpretations! What took my eye was the sandstone banks to the lane but the shot doesn't really bring it out. The second attempt has more aggressive PP to try to get there, but I think it's a case of needing to go back and shoot it again to make the most of it. It's a 5-EV bracket and stack.
EM131836-HDR-Edit_1600.jpg

EM131836-HDR-Edit-3_1600.jpg

And finally, a shot with a different lens! It's taken with the EM1.3's LiveND feature using the PL 8-18. Shot at f11 to get the shutter speed down to an effective 2s. Hand-held.
EM131610-Edit-2_1600.jpg

Well, that's it! Having run a Nikon Z7 in the past, I don't think these images give up much to the 47Mp FF sensor in terms of IQ. Sure there's slightly more detail in a Z7 image, and there's a bit more latitude to PP, but it's not night and day. And tricks like light-touch EV bracketing close that gap pretty heavily. But in terms of camera features, lens range and quality, size and weight, the Olympus works better (for me) than the Nikon. Above all else though, the IS on the EM1.3 + 12-100 is a major benefit of the Olympus.

Last edited:
The Pennines is an area of uplands in the North of England. I spent a few hours there recently and bagged a few shots of the rolling hills in decent light. I thought I'd share them! All images are with the Olympus EM1.3, and all but one are with the 12-100 f4. I think this combo is a superb tool for landscapes and shows how m43 can play with FF in a genre that is often thought to need high MP and large sensors to deliver good results.

All the images are processed from raw using LR, and in some cases, with Nik ColorFx (free Google edition). A number of the shots are light-touch HDR - a technique that works very well on the EM1.3 with its 60fps electronic shutter.

This is a view from near the town of Brough. I liked the colours of the sunlight on the fields with the hills in the background poking into the clouds. Shot with the 12-100 at 100mm. This is what I love about this lens for landscapes - a short telephoto is often the perfect tool for a landscape and I can get to 200mm effective without a lens swap. The shot is a HDR composite from 5 images at -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2 EV and stacked in LR. Doing such a 5-shot burst is a joy with the EM1.3 - using the e-shutter at its fastest rate (60 fps) means that 5 frames takes almost no time (and it's silent!).
View attachment 310884

This is a view towards Snardale. Again it's with the 12-100, and at 100mm again. I really liked the variation of lighting, colour and tones in this scene. The clouds make it all very moody too. It's a 5-shot HDR stack.
View attachment 310888

This is a scene from near Brough. Again with the 12-100, this time at 54mm. And again, a 5-shot HDR composite, but I don't think it was really necessary - the DR wasn't too bad.
View attachment 310885

Now a couple of non-HDR shots. The first at 50mm, the second at 70mm, so both are short-tele landscapes. I loved the colours of the fields and the leading lines of the stone walls.

View attachment 310887

View attachment 310886

This shot is of Brough Castle. A ruin and a nice focal point. I'd lost the better light by this time, so the shot was a bit flat and I had to work at in PP. This time shot a bit wider - at 28mm.

View attachment 310889

Now a shot at the 12-100's widest setting of 12mm. And as a bonus, two PP interpretations! What took my eye was the sandstone banks to the lane but the shot doesn't really bring it out. The second attempt has more aggressive PP to try to get there, but I think it's a case of needing to go back and shoot it again to make the most of it. It's a 5-EV bracket and stack.
View attachment 310895

View attachment 310894

And finally, a shot with a different lens! It's taken with the EM1.3's LiveND feature using the PL 8-18. Shot at f11 to get the shutter speed down to an effective 2s. Hand-held.
View attachment 310883

Well, that's it! Having run a Nikon Z7 in the past, I don't think these images give up much to the 47Mp FF sensor in terms of IQ. Sure there's slightly more detail in a Z7 image, and there's a bit more latitude to PP, but it's not night and day. And tricks like light-touch EV bracketing close that gap pretty heavily. But in terms of camera features, lens range and quality, size and weight, the Olympus works better (for me) than the Nikon. Above all else though, the IS on the EM1.3 + 12-100 is a major benefit of the Olympus.

As always love your images Paul!

Really wonderful shots with a lens that has become my favourite in the last two years.
With the OM-D body it's just the perfect all-rounder, from landscape to portrait and flowers. And - in addition - a perfectly balanced set in your hands.

Some people seriously underestimate the features and flexibility of mFTs cameras and lenses, Paul. You show some of those very well here. Beautiful countryside.

BTW, the resolution of that 47 MPx camera is only a bit over half that of a 20 MPx camera in "pixels on the duck" terms. A FF camera has to get to 80+ MPx to equal a 20 MPx mFTs camera's resolution, assuming the respective lenses are capable of rendering the full resolution of the sensor in each case.

"equivalence" works both ways ...

A really good set @pdk42 , brightened my morning, thank you!
The uk landscape might not be as dramatic as some, but our (in)famous weather does give great opportunities for pictures with impact, as you have done here.
I started digital with a Panasonic G1, and have some great landscapes with it, since then have used Sony up to full frame (A7) but now use aps-c (Nikon and Fuji). Keep the iso within reason and use good lenses and you cant see much difference even on a monitor at 100%, and nothing visible on a web browser or even a good A3 print. I even tried stitching three vertical shots on the A7 with 50mm (60mpx) vs a single shot with a 28mm, a slight improvement in detail at 100% but nothing visible on an A3 print. Lens quality and technique are far more important than sensor size now.

Gerry

Last edited:

View attachment 310884

View attachment 310888

View attachment 310885

View attachment 310887

View attachment 310886

View attachment 310889

View attachment 310895

View attachment 311166

View attachment 310883

Wonderful images as always Paul.

Back