a flattering request from Italy

pdh

Legend
I recently received a request to use this photograph as part of an exhibition accompanying a concert series in Bologna ... I feel rather flattered!

6269965838_36b7c7fa1f_b.jpg

melbury bw by _loupe, on Flickr​

I suggested to the curator that he set up a Flickr group for the contributors, which he has done here ... Flickr: The AIM 2011:B&W NIGHT Pool ... as you can see, there are some pretty good images and I feel a bit like the poor relation ...

More information about the event here Autunno in Musica - Rassegna presso Teatro Calderara di Reno (dir.artistica Max Benassi)

Congrats. It's always a nice moment when one of your images gets a little recognition - especially when there's a bit of cash involved.

Well done indeed! I'm very pleased for you....even a little envious as photos of cows are my stock in trade :blush:

Can I ask how they found/discovered your image?

thanks to all for your good wishes ... although unfortunately, olli, it's a "kudos only" and no cash changes hands ...

@stillshunter - I presume that the curator searched the obvious places on Flickr - he has an active account with plenty of (rather good) snaps in it ... my image was in a few mono groups, but wasn't otherwise specially tagged

In my (admittedly limited) experience nobody will offer you a fee when they ask to use your images but it's always worth asking for one and letting them decide just how much they need your image. My approach is that if it is a commercial use (and I assume a concert series is a commercial use since they will presumably be charging for tickets and aiming to make a profit) they should pay. If they can't show that it is not a commercial use or they won't pay, the answer is no.

I was surprised and pleased to be asked, and money never entered my head, I don't take photographs to make money ... although your advice is I'm sure very sound, olli!
(so when the inevitable flood of requests from international collectors, photographic galleries and archives comes, I'll know what to do ;) )

It is interesting to me that, out of the several hundred monochromes I have on Flickr, this one was chosen - from my point of view I have others which are "better" - technically, emotionally.
That probably reflects part of the difference between amateur and professional photography - being able to understand what others will like or want, and then to be able to produce it on demand over and over again.

Back