Ricoh A gift (GR II)

Coksic

All-Pro
Name
Mladen Čoko
I got this one (the GR II) as a present, used of course. In good condition - almost perfect. There is a dust spot on the sensor - only one so far.
I haven't used a point and shoot camera since I traded my Samsung NX1000, 5 years ago, so it feels like back to beginnings, in a way. I don't have a viewfinder for it,
and it is ok, since it is the only pocketable camera that I have, other than my phone... I am still quite cautious when handling the camera and especially putting it in
pockets, because I'm not yet confident in it's durability (perhaps someone here can say more about ruggedness. To be honest, I'm mostly concerned about
the lens mechanism being stuck or broken in some other way. Anyway, I like the image quality so far. Nice dynamic range, good colors. I haven't played with
different modes and setting, so far.
R0013764-Pano.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R0013671-2.jpg

ds.jpg

R0013636.jpg

R0013645.jpg

R0013986.jpg

R0014052.jpg

Last edited:
That first photo has beautiful detail. I've slaked my new camera thirst with the X100V but will keep my eyes open for a deal on a used GR or GRII. I might consider buying one with dust and cleaning it myself.

Last edited:
These are great! Dust is frustrating, for sure, but you do have options with the GR II. There are guides people have put together on self cleaning, though you need a very clean environment to avoid introducing new dust. Or, sometimes folks have had good luck using a small nozzle on a vacuum and sucking around the outer edges of the lens barrel when it's retracted (keep it away from the delicate lens cover). Sometimes the dust is somewhere in the lens assembly rather than the sensor itself.

Or, just learn to live with it. The cameras don't take well to being babied because they are designed to go everywhere with you, capture what you see - not get left at home or packed away when the moment strikes. Usually a dust spot is easily cloned out, anyway. I tended to forget that when I was busy worrying about getting dust - now as I've been scanning a lot of film that I've had stored for a year or two, I'm doing a fair amount of cloning out spots and am reminded that spots aren't the end of the world.

These are great! Dust is frustrating, for sure, but you do have options with the GR II. There are guides people have put together on self cleaning, though you need a very clean environment to avoid introducing new dust. Or, sometimes folks have had good luck using a small nozzle on a vacuum and sucking around the outer edges of the lens barrel when it's retracted (keep it away from the delicate lens cover). Sometimes the dust is somewhere in the lens assembly rather than the sensor itself.

Or, just learn to live with it. The cameras don't take well to being babied because they are designed to go everywhere with you, capture what you see - not get left at home or packed away when the moment strikes. Usually a dust spot is easily cloned out, anyway. I tended to forget that when I was busy worrying about getting dust - now as I've been scanning a lot of film that I've had stored for a year or two, I'm doing a fair amount of cloning out spots and am reminded that spots aren't the end of the world.
Thanks for the input. I don't know if the spot is on the sensor or inside the lens elements. I won't tear down the camera for one spot, it's just a little annoying, that's all. I have that cautious attitude towards every single piece of tech I've ever owned, from earbuds to cameras. I get comfortable over time.
Cheers!

Don't do what I did and upgrade to the III - it's won't render the same as the one you've got. I could tell it was a GRII just looking at the images.
I won't! Battery life on the new camera seem to be worse than the GRII. I got this as a gift, but if I was buying anything, it would definitely be something with a tilt screen, like a K-1 or KP. Also, it seems to be a similar pattern across the board, where older 12 or 16 mp sensors are giving a more ''filmic'' or ''ccd'' look than the 24mp ones. As for the GRII rendering, I'm converting to b/w a lot more than usual, to the point where I thought it should have been a monochrome camera in the first place (not that I don't like the colors from it).

Last edited:
Back