a grim story about climate change in the US (with some great photos)

Vested interests too powerful for this to change right now, especially against an apathetic voting public who don’t like “experts” apparently. Not just in the US but a lot places round the world. At the moment anyway.

Vested interests too powerful for this to change right now, especially against an apathetic voting public who don’t like “experts” apparently. Not just in the US but a lot places round the world. At the moment anyway.
I just find it shocking how much of the world has gone backwards and, in 2020, is actually rejecting science. It's like somebody flipped a switch and half of the population has a mindset from 500 years ago. Seeing interviews in the US news lately it's getting harder to tell which ones are actual news shows and which, just a few years ago, would've been considered a parody comedy show.

I just find it shocking how much of the world has gone backwards and, in 2020, is actually rejecting science. It's like somebody flipped a switch and half of the population has a mindset from 500 years ago. Seeing interviews in the US news lately it's getting harder to tell which ones are actual news shows and which, just a few years ago, would've been considered a parody comedy show.
I’m not really up to date with the commonly used phrases these days, but I think this would classify you as an “elitist” (or “woke”? Although I really don’t know what that means).

I think the weapon using of issues into politics has caused this major issue. There are some scientists that have sold their integrity for research dollars.

This has tainted the perception by a lot of people into seeing a lot of the science and fact as fabricated. This is compounded by laziness by some who refuse to incorporate due diligence and ensure that the facts are correct.

This, scientists, studies and research are less and less trusted.
People have reverted to emotional outbursts and conspiracy theory and less on facts.

I will also add that I don’t think this is anything new, but it is more “mainstream” because we are more connected.

I saw a report the other day that psychologists believe that anxiety and stress are up because we are “too connected”. They theorize that humans are pack/small group oriented creatures and having this vast access to a world knowledge base instantly is more detrimental than helpful.

Woke is a term used to describe someone who is alert to societal injustice, including but not limited to racism.

That may be where the definition is heading, but that word really started it's life with a broader meaning ..... "aware of the facts".

But language evolves.....sometimes faster than people. If we all asked more questions, we would certainly all be better off.

I almost feel like in the US we've been scammed regarding recycling. Sadly much of our recycled goods have been revealed to be shipped overseas in containers instead of properly being recycled. When I was in Japan last year, they take recycling and trash disposal far more seriously.

Also I hate being political, but when politics interfere with rational decision making it devolves into fanaticism and I'm seeing that in all spectrums within the US. It's similar to camera fanboy'ism, when the merits of other brands are overlooked. It's only when those who embrace a multi-camera system POV, where you can truly appreciate why we are all here...for the love of photography!

So there's a new pigeonhole for me: woke. I haven't come across this expression either. With the definitions given so far I can "feel at home". Belonging to those who have gone through university and having worked with my brain for all of my life I am completely helpless with this new anti-science movement and its fake news.
We don't need people who have answers (there are too many of these around who don't solve anything), what we need is people who ask the right questions. Let the right answer to any of today's burning issues be judged by history.

Back