Ricoh A lazy summer with the GRD III

jimmy2thou

Regular
Summer is here

F2AF2F8C8B09491FB8FFC494BE374A8C.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Refreshing

3FF4F2C3F1824A3FBDE9078E1C5426BC.jpg

Playtime

20A3953E8ECE456F8AC95EE6A2AE16E7.jpg

Sneaky snooze

306AD37080094D85962935B5D957B566.jpg

Ball Boy

D73AFFF26A0B4410AC1620546701AB2C.jpg

When taking a photo of a cat, make sure you don’t leave the hand strap dangling!

D57B5BED94F94FB4AAEBB99138A7DED9.jpg

GRD III self portrait

D8FE4E6AA82744AC823C1BD3D30ED0CB.jpg

Something floral

E510218FB36C4119B76A9AC0F470F850.jpg

Waiting to play

3175B68F9E53403E9AE7A0D4C6DD991D.jpg

As the sun sets

04356D535DAC4232B29556061CCF890F.jpg

0B6BFC07051841F9BC371180CFD89722.jpg

The nearby reservoir

5031D37B5F054849853BB3D4E6A9249E.jpg

E28A99E2A5A64A22A9405EC055D78E8D.jpg

It has been a hot summer as always, but now August is over and the temperature has returned to a bearable 30oC. This means less siestas and more outings with the camera! :)

C&C most welcome. I hope you have all had (or are having) an enjoyable summer.

James

Ah, Jimmy - thank you! I feel better just having looked at these - especially your stretching dog and the other very interesting animal pictures. I also like your deep toned colors!

I'm not ready for summer to end and it's been raining for two days...but I know soon the sun will come out and we'll have another go 'round with heat before true fall appears.

Glad to have you back around the place, Jimmy.:drinks:

we didn't really have a summer here, but this is a superb series showing those slow days! Love the shot through the tennis net, of the sprinkler, and Waiting to Play!

Thanks everyone for the lovely feedback. :D

I think I have finally found the compact for me. It's been quite a search and the only reason I didn't get one sooner was because I could never justify its original price tag of around £400. As soon as I saw the price drop to a more 'comfortable' level, I had to give it a go and am very glad I did. I also recently acquired a Samsung NX10 with 3 lenses and have been getting acquainted with that. I shall head over the the NX forum soon and post some recent shots. :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome back.

Between this thread and Michael's about shooting in the rain with the GRD3, I'm gonna have to pull mine back out again. Its seemed less necessary since I got the new Oly (which can do most of the same things very well and, obviously, quite a bit more), but it definitely has a character of its own. Time for an outing with it...

-Ray

Don/ Ray/ Michael and any other GRDIII users out there:

Do you feel the need to use a viewfinder with the camera, or have I just not got the hang of no-IS-in-camera yet?

Especially at night and in some macro shots, I seem to take images that are blurred or less than sharp.

Any tips here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Spode, not the dreaded convert my GRD to a viewfinder camera question. Heavens have mercy my friend......
I'm a B&W shooter, never color. So, I normally shoot at high ISO to get the tonal range and slight noise that comes along for the ride. Even in bright light, I use ISO 1200-2500 on all my cameras, GRD included. I hardly ever go below 800 which I consider my low end. This has the added advantage of giving me higher shutter speeds that would help you out also.
The viewfinder. I have considered the use of one but for framing reasons only. It would be just a OVF, not the EVF thing. I tried my Leica 28 but felt that it restricted my free vision. The screen on this camera lends itself to off axis framing. I hold the camera in all kinds of weird angles and still able to see my frame.....

Great camera once you get used to using it.

Spode. No EVF or OVF for me with the GRD3. Then again, I don't really prefer to use an EVF when I don't have to (like with a long lens or a bad lcd screen on a really bright day) on ANY camera. The long lens isn't an issue with the GRD and the screen on the GRD3 (and most newer cameras is plenty good enough to see in bright light. Like Don, I tend to hold this camera at whatever angle is handy for getting the shot. Sometimes I'm looking at the screen and sometimes I'm not and just framing by instinct. I haven't had an issue with lack of IS either, but I don't spend a lot of time on super precise focus stuff like macros either, particularly with this camera. I use this mostly as a street camera and sometimes just a really small, light, and portable camera for whatever catches my eye. Its a different experience than any of my other cameras (past or present) and not one that seems consistent with an EVF to me. But everyone's needs are different, so if you're a person who generally prefers a viewfinder, that's why they make 'em!

-Ray

Don and Ray,

Thanks a lot. I actually checked out the mini OVF today. It just seems to come in the way without helping either the framing or the IS.

I guess it takes getting used to. When I'm able, the shots are sharp. And the camera is actually quite fantastic.

Funnily enough, I spent ages convincing myself I needed one. After a few months I finally got a good deal on ebay and now I have it. It has answered the question for me at least. I don't need it!! :) With it attached it doesn't fit in my case, so it's not being used all the time. I haven't gone out specifically with it to test stability in lower light situations, but will give it a go and let you know how it works out. I can't imagine using it for macro, as usually macro shots I take require holding the camera in more awkward positions and at close distance the frame lines wouldn't be that accurate. So anyone thinking they might want one.......you probably don't. :)

On the plus side, if I do decide to sell it I might be lucky and get more than I paid. So the question now is, do I need the GW-2 wide angle? No I don't! the GRD III is just right as it is. :D

Back