Leica A Letter to Leica AG CEO Alfred Schopf

Raid

All-Pro
A Letter to Leica AG CEO Alfred Schopf (via andreas.dippel@leica-camera.com)
Sehr geehrter Herr Dippel,
Bitte schicken Sie dieses email zu Herrn Alfred Schopf. Herzlichen Dank.

Sehr geehrter Herr Schopf,
Ich bin ein Leica fan seit vielen Jahren, und ich benuetze mehrere Leica Kameras (M3, M6, M8.2, M9), und auch die "Alten" IIIc und Standard Leica. Leider sind die neuen Leica Kameras nicht mehr stabil seit der M8. Ich bin nicht einer von wenigen Benuetzer von digitale Leica Kameras, und es gibt leider viele Probleme mit den Sensoren.

Ich bin Mitglied an www.rangefinderforum.com, wo viele tausend Leica Benuetzer jeden Tag etwas ueber Leica schreiben. Ueblich sind es positive Sachen die da gemeldet werden, aber seit den Sensor Schwierigkeiten in der M9 gibt es ploetzlich viele Meldungen die laut sagen "Wo is denn Leica?" "Warum werden Kameras noch verkauft mit dem alten Sensor?" "Das ist eine teuere Kamera die voller Probleme ist."

Schauen Sie bitte hier:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=146402

und auch hier:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=146279

Wenn Tausende von Leica Fans jetzt auf andere Kamera systeme umwechseln, das wird nicht git fuer Leica sein. Sobald jemand seine Leica Kameras und Objektive verkauft (mit viel Verlust) wir er nicht mehr zu Leica zurueckkommen weil andere Kamera Systeme billiger sind.

Her Schopf, Ich bitte Sie uns doch "zu besuchen" an www.rangefinderforum.com.

Danke.

Raid Amin, Ph.D.
Professor
USA
Noch-bin-ich-ein-Leica-Benutzer

Tell them that Brian wants to know of they have looked at BG-18 cover glass, Schott indicates that it is more resilient to humidity.

Tell them that Brian wants to know of they have looked at BG-18 cover glass, Schott indicates that it is more resilient to humidity.

I doubt it that he will show up. The older digital Leica cameras are doomed.
Good idea though!

Are the sensors on the M9 a problem? My Monochrom sensor was fine, if I could keep it free of debris.

I doubt it that he will show up. The older digital Leica cameras are doomed.
Good idea though!

It's not hard to change out cover glass, especially as BG-18 has the same index of refraction as S8612. In the long-run, it will be cheaper than producing new sensors and having to replace them later. ON Technology shows 250 KAF-18500 sensors in stock. The runs are not big, and glass can be substituted in weeks. That is my direct experience.

The RFF thread- some people just like to bash Leica and everything else that they do not understand. Think I did a "welcome to the world of Digital" there after the RD-1 came out. What drove me to digital for personal use was Kodak getting out of the film processing business. No more high-quality/low-price/fast turnaround service. Fuji service is "not anywhere near as good", as in poor quality control. Then Sam's Club stopped repairing their machine, the manager knew me- I knew her, always did a great job. That's when I bought the M8 and M9. Professionally, worked on Digital Imagers in 1981.

I also used Sam's .Club film developing, and the person in charge of it knew me. They knew my name, and the staff would pay extra attention to my rolls of film. I also have used Kodak and Fuji labs. Once, Fuji destroyed five rolls by using wrong chemicals. They apoplogized ior it, and they wrote me that they were not meant for professional work.

If Alfred Schopf replies to my email, I will give him your suggestion, Brian.

Infrared- I have an old IR scope that I need to donate to the Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum. Turns out that it is the Prototype IR scope made in 1940. It is a model "C-1", the "C-3" made it into service. Used for Signaling Lights at night, and other operations. A mention of it is in the movie "A Wing and a Prayer".

It Still Works. Basically, a CRT, 4 D-Cells driving a high-voltage generator, and a big mirror to collect IR. So who says that old electronics cannot work for a long time.

Cool. This is what many Leica users expected from digital Leica cameras. and then I experienced problems.
My donation to the Naval Aviation Museum is still incomplete since about two years now. They move slowly ...

Mr. Alfred Schopf just emailed me. He will visit RFF, he wrote me, and he would like to chat with me on the phone after January 5th.

How nice of him!

I am certain they will straighten the cover glass issue out. Or better yet- use clear glass and make mine an IR camera. Brings back memories. My 1993 DCS200ir still works. I believe it is the first one ever sold by Kodak. I've only seen one other, had a SN 1 higher than mine.

How nice of him!

I am certain they will straighten the cover glass issue out. Or better yet- use clear glass and make mine an IR camera. Brings back memories. My 1993 DCS200ir still works. I believe it is the first one ever sold by Kodak. I've only seen one other, had a SN 1 higher than mine.

Yes, that was nice of the CEO.

Sehr geehrter Herr Raid,

vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. Ich schaue mir das rangefinderforum gerne an.

Können wir im neuen Jahr ab dem 05.01.2015 telefonieren?

Danke im Voraus und alles Gute für das neue Jahr.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

cid:image001.png@01CFFF4E.4C0CC130
Alfred Schopf
Vorstandsvorsitzender / CEO

Is it the glass that covers the sensor?

Yes- the IR cover glass is cemented to the sensor. Most manufacturers use clear cover glass and external IR glass. Leica cannot do that as they need a thin stack. Kodak had the same requirement for Digital backs for the N8008s and N90 as the cameras were made for film, no place for IR blocking filter.

I know from Brian about one possible improvement to the M9 by replacing the glass cover of the sensor with something else.
If there are other issues that I could mention, please let me know.

So far, I have these points:
1. Leica should invest more in the post sales service instead of opening so many boutiques worldwide !
2. Consider replacing the IR cover glass that is over the sensor with another type of cover (BG-18) that is less sensitive to humidity.
3. Be more consistent in deciding whether to charge or not charge for sensor issues repairs.

I have this list so far:

1. Leica should invest more in the post sales service instead of opening so many boutiques worldwide !

2. Consider replacing the IR cover glass that is over the sensor with another type of cover (BG-18) that is less sensitive to humidity.

3. Be more consistent in deciding whether to charge or not charge for sensor issues repairs.

4. Stop the bargaining at the repair counter by giving a 5 years warranty on cameras as with lenses

5. Don't ever stop making CCD based Digital cameras.

6. Make the upgrade from the M9 immediate, even if the sensor is working.

Back