...a little inspiration

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
I'm sure many have seen this and there may even be a link on here. However, I only stumbled on it today and never recall someone mentioning it in my years of membership. I am a little disappointed that you kept it to yourselves....

Hope it inspires you as much as it did me. Maybe just to keep saving those pennies and buying that helicopter you always wanted.

NB: it is a full length film so please reserve an hour and a half or so (the ending is not necessarily a bad one!!). But, man, is it worth it - volume is optional but more educational.

[video=youtube_share;jqxENMKaeCU]

OK.

This post has been the subject of discussion by the moderators for a couple days. The Terms of Service agreement by which we govern the behavior on the website is clear about no discussion of politics or religion.

Mark shared a link to a cinematographically gorgeous film that is about saving the planet (my apologies to the director for summing up his work in one sentence). Mark (a former moderator here) and myself both alluded to the message of the film in our comments in the thread. The references (which were construed to be political) have been removed to make the thread conform to the TOS, but we are reinstating the thread with the link to the film. Bill (Lightmancer) and I both feel that the primary reason for sharing this on a photographic forum is the incredible camera work. If you feel like there are some political or religious themes that don't agree with you, feel free to turn off the volume. But neither of us feel that it is a political film.

Many photographic images (or films) can be put into a political context. We live in a political world. There is no escaping that reality. But we will not engage in political (or religious) discussion.

We will keep a close eye on the thread to make sure it stays free of political debate.

Thank you for your understanding

Thanks for posting that Mark....I actually have it on DVD and was inspired over the weekend to watch it again... and even if one was to turn the turn the volume off, the beauty of the images speak loud enough. It truly is a beautiful Home that we have and I'll consider myself one of the very luckiest few if I ever get that chance to travel and photograph even a small fraction of it.

One may also enjoy Koyaanisqatsi, also visuel feast but vers dramatic, no "message" is pût through the film, everyone is left to himself for his own interpretation. No voice off, only music composed by Philip Glass. Very impacting and highly visual. Presented by Francis Ford Coppola and Filmed by Ron Fricke.

Contrasts the tranquile beauty of nature with the frenzy of urban society.

Yes, I saw that ages ago, and now you have mentioned it, I'm going to have to see it again. I think Mark might have referenced it once before, last year some time. Thanks for the reminder, Kian.

Very thought provoking film isn't it ? It had a lot of impact on me and the way I see the world! There is second film, Powaqqatsi, but I didn't like it as much as the first.

Thanks for posting that Mark....I actually have it on DVD and was inspired over the weekend to watch it again... and even if one was to turn the turn the volume off, the beauty of the images speak loud enough. It truly is a beautiful Home that we have and I'll consider myself one of the very luckiest few if I ever get that chance to travel and photograph even a small fraction of it.

Joe, is the film available commercially on DVD? I'd prefer to watch it on the big screen.

EDIT: Found it on amazon.com, listed as "Home" starring Glenn Close. Ordered.

Back