Leica A little Pixii Dust sprinkled on the Leica Forum

Well, folks, the sun has been shining here and that meant I was out there with a Pixii that had a '57 KMZ Jupiter 8 in front of it. Of the few 50 mm lenses I have the Amotal and the J8 are hands down winners. Remember that this is an APS-C camera so the 50 mm J8 effectively equals a 75 mm lens. I wandered around the harbor this afternoon and caught some shots. As they posted poorly on another board I will post a link to the folder on Flickr and some images as bait. Chumming we call it. ;o) The link: Pixii + Jupiter 8 I post these solely as examples of the color and detail resolution of the Pixii when teamed with a good lens. Thanks.

P0000047.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P0000072.jpg

P0000083.jpg

P0000123.jpg

I got semi-close to getting one, but I would have had to offload pretty much everything else in order to afford it comfortably (i.e. according to my rule of funding incoming gear with outgoing gear). Aside from price, not really liking the aps-c crop factor is the thing that held me back. I'd think more seriously about a FF sensor version. That would be some strong GAS.

Just so you know the Pixii still works, here is an older pic of a sunset over the Columbia River. This was taken with the Cooke Amotal slapped on the front, a favorite lens. I am looking forward to the factory hardware update to the 64 bit SoC with faster processing speeds and lower battery usage.

P0000239.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to send the Pixii back for an upgrade to the new, faster, SOIC 64 bit processor. So I thought to go out and click a few pics. Both with my usual Canon 28mm f/2.8 LTM. Both shot at F/8.0 IIRC. Because they display better on Flickr I am just embedding the links.

These are SOOC JPEG's.

OK, M. Pixii came back home tonight. I did a quick couple of pics and it works. An initial impression is that the DNG has stronger color than the JPG but I have to test that. It is good to have it back. I will see if it is faster and more economical of energy use. The color is good and that is very important to me.

OK, minuscule information on the Pixii. The color engine is still great. I would post some photos but we are having some Clatsop County sunshine today which means it is grey and overcast and drizzling. The color photos of my kitchen are just great but it is so messy you will have to take my word for it. I like the DNG color better than the JPG but that could just be the color profile. I will test that but may wind up just shooting DNG with M. Pixii. I have just shot at ISO 320. I will test that and the "Preferences" which are color profiles.

I now have an iPad which talks quite nicely to the Pixii. Strangely the iPad software thinks it can set the camera image format to GPR, a lossless 12 bit DNG format from GoPro GitHub - gopro/gpr: General Purpose Raw image format I will test the Android connect with the Pixii to see how that is working.

Shooting speed: 9. It will shoot that many JPG's, DNG color or DNG monochrome before the buffer is filled. This is the same as my M9. It takes about the same number in seconds to write all the images and clear the buffer. I am just trying monochrome and have to find an editor in Linux, hopefully, which will look at them without whining.

Battery life. With WiFi on it is still a battery sucker. With it off not so much. Battery life is not a big deal for me so long as it is reasonable. I do not do big shoots of hundreds of images. And I have three batteries, they are cheap, so popping in a fresh one is not much of a cross to bear. My perspective is that replacing batteries is a small price to pay for the lovely color that I promise I will show you, someday. ;o)

In summation the Pixii is now better than it was without sacrificing anything. The upgrade was Euros 320 IIRC which is a good deal, add Euros 50 for return shipping and done.

Went out with the new A2572 Pixii the other day. These were shot with a 35mm F/2.0 LTM Canon (black) which is a pretty good lens. This first one is in a local pinball and game arcade famed for lousy hot dogs. Color and detail are fine. I do not believe that the color engine was manipulated or if it was, not much. The color and detail are still good.

Second shot is of a Coast Guard cutter which is moored here in Astoria, OR. The Coast Guard is the "Git 'er done" crowd who will come out and save your butt when you are clawing off the lee shore. As this is a fishing town you know the CG is well loved here.

Then the Iona, a sweet sloop in dry dock here. I have another photo of her taken with the X2D under different lighting I will post just so the sensor resolution can be compared.

OK, teapot at the Chinese restaurant just to see how well it will focus at its closest.

And finally a tawdry sunset. Just a random selection of photos to show how the A2572 is doing. I still very much like the color and definition of this little French camera. The firmware is tighter and now Android > Pixii communications are a lot better. But in all honesty I may have screwed up the app > firmaware connection with my futzing around with the Pixii. It works well with Android and with Apple.

Arcade.jpg

Cutter.jpg

Iona.jpg

Teapot.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Last edited:
OK, two Ionas, one with the X2D and the other with the A2572, in that order. The lighting is different. The X2D is with the XCD 55V lens and the A2572 with the Canon 35mm f/2.0 LTM (black) lens. I will try for a better "at the same tine" comparison later.

If you want to see them on Flickr here are the links: X2D B0000719 A2572 P0000069_20

How do you think the Pixii does?

X2D Iona.jpg

Iona.jpg

Last edited:
The X2D is a much nicer pic, but the lighting is clearly superior so tough to draw any meaningful conclusions. Good detail on the Pixii though.

OK, two Ionas, one with the X2D and the other with the A2572, in that order. The lighting is different. The X2D is with the XCD 55V lens and the A2572 with the Canon 35mm f/2.0 LTM (black) lens. I will try for a better "at the same tine" comparison later.

If you want to see them on Flickr here are the links: X2D B0000719 A2572 P0000069_20

How do you think the Pixii does?

View attachment 374839

View attachment 374841
Unsure what f stop you were shooting the PIXII, but it appears to have at least 3 pieces of gunk on either the lens or the sensor that I’m spotting in that shot.

Back