Challenge! A 'Lo-FI' A Day Challenge

This one reminded me why I dislike photographing with a phone :) Have I been using my camera, I would manually set the exposure, pre-focus where I want and fire away once a car was in the right place. Instead, it was much harder to get; my phone constantly wanted to brighten the exposure, and shutter kept lagging behind desired composition. Took me about dozen attempts to align everything the way I wanted.

PICTOGRAMAX - 2021 - LO FI - 15 - LYRA.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Just for fun... a genuine lo-fi from the past. The date is genuine, I was just 19 years old and a bunch of us had gone to a place called The Rock (name of the town and the hill on which we were climbing).. I think I was already showing signs of being interested in landscape photography :) Kodak Instamatic 105, in use at the time. The ultimate in lo-fi for me

B9A0033E-E17F-4CCA-BE39-B0E858371F45.jpeg

I found another tiny door, and this one clearly states it's part of a project. I also finally dug up the batteries for the Pentax Q. A far superior camera with a tiny 12 mp 1/2.3 sensor. Isn't it amazing how different those bricks look?
View attachment 249100
For the curious;

Although it is still winter in Oregon, surveying the bathtub in my old house, I am realizing it may be time to begin Spring Cleaning. Peewee, however, seems to think things are just fine as they are. Close focusing with the Lomo Automat Instax is a never-ending adventure---

Automat_Peewee_in_bathtub.jpg

It's easy to forget, but trying to photograph in a dim interior with a tungsten lightbulb gives everything a warmth that my naked eyes did not initially perceive. The monochrome fisheye version is closer to what was in my mind's eye---

GX1_Feb15_21_Peewee_in_bathtub.jpg

Wipe that grin off your face, Peewee: it's time to get out the soap and scrubbing brushes.

Went out for a little while in a state forest spot I know to target shoot a little and attempt to hone my very neglected skills.

P1040280.JPG

Found an abandoned boot out there (unintentionally got my own boot in the pic, but I think it's more entertaining that way, so I picked this shot).

P1040279.JPG

The rain came in towards the end, so I got a wee bit soaked packing up and getting back to the vehicle.

In the very rear of my old house, just beyond the kitchen - where the house originally ended, when it was built in 1902 - a small addition was built onto the rear of the house, which was subsequently walled in and became a rear porch / utility space (later used for such modern newfangled inventions as washing machines or dryers). It's also a place for storing assorted heavy clothing and boots for inclement weather. I spend a lot of time either doing things in it, or moving through it, on my way out of the back door - or on my way back into the house. As one enters the back door from the outside, one sees another doorway - which was once the original rear door of the house - but is now an interior door, that opens into the kitchen. And next to it, I've tacked up one of my favorite posters ever - of an exhibiton of Mexican folk art featuring Calaveras, and other magical beings from el Reino de los Muertos, the Kingdom of the Dead.

I think I must have stopped, to stare at this poster, maybe a thousand times or more, and it continually surprises and delights me. But I don't think I've ever taken a picture of it, before today.

My Lomo Automat Instax take---

Automat_Calavera_poster.jpg

And the monochrome fisheye---

GX1_Feb16_21_Calavera_Poster_rear_porch.jpg

Last edited:
Back