Challenge! A 'Lo-FI' A Day Challenge

From my old Olympus 35 RC, with a roll of Kodak Gold 200.

69300013.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the very small city where I live, Talent, Oregon, a catastrophic freak wildfire burned through the town at the beginning of September, and destroyed portions of both residential and the commercial parts of the town. I was among the lucky survivors: the old farmhouse on one edge of town where I live survived unscathed. In the ensuing days, weeks and months there have been outpourings of community spirit and goodwill as strangers have come together to try to help one another.

Right in the small downtown area - which ironically was totally devastated on one side of the street, but intact on the other, a local artist painted an impromptu mural on a framerwork of wooden planks - depicting, appropriately, a Phoenix rising to a new life from the ashes of the old.

Here is the Instax version from my Lomo Automat camera---

Automat_Phoenx_rising_Mural.jpg

And here my monochrome infrared fisheye take---

GX1_Feb27_21_Phoenix_rising_Mural_in_Talent.jpg

I've walked, ridden my bicycle and scooter, and driven by this spot many a time; this morning was the first time I felt the urge to take a picture. Today has been fairly cold and cloudy, with the weather promising rain which is sorely needed by the parched land around here.

We went into town, I should have brought my GF3/lomo setup to add to this challenge, but my GR was really clamoring to be used again (really, I could hear it, I think). But probably prompted by the mindset this challenge has put me in, I decided to largely use the cross-process filter, which is really enjoyable to use in a more lighthearted way - combine it with dialed-down clarity and sharpness in the JPEG output, and you can get some really nice, mildly lo-fi looks.

R0001345 (2).JPG

We dined outdoors for lunch, only I think the second time we've done it this whole unending pandemic 'season' but thankfully the day was surprisingly fine, for once.

R0001339 (2).JPG

The rain is never too far off...

R0001342 (2).JPG

I broke out the flatbed, Epson V550, which I like much more for scanning larger things than when trying to get detail out of a 35mm negative. These are a couple Polaroid shots, one color and one B&W. The quality control issues that new Polaroid instant film is somewhat notorious for are on full display. Although, for the black and white shot, part of it might have been my fault, for I threw the exposure into my bag rightside up by accident, where it is supposed to finish developing upside down, with no light.

img114.jpg

img115.jpg

Back