Nikon A moment.

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
I had a moment recently! And a Z7 winged it’s way to my door, the idea being to have more elbow room for cropping and straightening and associated Image manipulation, my Z6 went in PX! Obviously the differences to the Z6 is mainly the sensor, handling and ergonomics are for all practical purposes are identical, but it seems to me that the Z7 is a bit faster in operation,
Quite subjective but that is my impression so far. Seems snappier!
Of course I, benefit from all my lenses and accessories easily fit the new body.
Can’t really justify the expense, but what the hell you only live once! Plus I get the pleasure of getting acquainted with a new. Camera, always a pleasure!
All I need now is for my holiday to be confirmed for late July and I’ll be a happy bunny!

I do understand this purchase. It’s not about images being better per se but the flexibility in cropping and PP plus the camera will be able to handle taking shots in conditions that most others won’t. Enjoy!

Mike, it'll be interesting to learn if the larger files create any issues for you. Things like storage space on your computer, rendering time, etc. So far, I have avoided purchasing cameras beyond the 24/26mp level.
Steve, I generally don’t yet take enough photos to run into storage problems, but I do realise the storage overhead is greater but so far so good! What is your experience?

Steve, I generally don’t yet take enough photos to run into storage problems, but I do realise the storage overhead is greater but so far so good! What is your experience?

The photo collection on my iMac totals 9,883 jpg images. All were taken with cameras offering 16-to-24 megapixels and all were taken at full resolution with the highest quality the camera allowed. Some were taken raw but I saved the final images as jpgs.

I have had no issues with storage. My solid state drive has 1 terrabyte of storage. I am using up only 216 gb of space - and that includes everything on my computer - even the operating system. Photos alone take up the largest chunk - but it's only 57 gb.

So I guess I've answered my own question. Even at 42 mp, I shouldn't have an issue on a 1 tb drive.

The photo collection on my iMac totals 9,883 jpg images. All were taken with cameras offering 16-to-24 megapixels and all were taken at full resolution with the highest quality the camera allowed. Some were taken raw but I saved the final images as jpgs.

I have had no issues with storage. My solid state drive has 1 terrabyte of storage. I am using up only 216 gb of space - and that includes everything on my computer - even the operating system. Photos alone take up the largest chunk - but it's only 57 gb.

So I guess I've answered my own question. Even at 42 mp, I shouldn't have an issue on a 1 tb drive.
Morning Biro, my overhead is 128.42 GB made up of 7851 items nearly all raw files from various cameras! Stored on a La Cie hard disk. This LaCie drive is partitioned into two 2TB partitions

Last edited:
Morning Biro, my overhead is 128.42 GB made up of 7851 items nearly all raw files from various cameras! Stored on a La Cie hard disk. This LaCie drive is partitioned into two 2TB partitions

I Have a 1 tb LaCie SSD as a backup. If we ever have to evacuate due to a hurricane or something, I just unplug the LaCie drive, which is about the size of a book, and run.

Back