A new member!

Randy H.

Hello to all, My name is Randy Hopkins. I have just recently developed a nerve condition in my hands and arms. It caused me to send my very new Nikon d 3100 back. I have for the past month and a half been looking for a new smaller high end point and shoot.

I'm considering the following cameras: The Panny dmc Lx7: The Panny Lx5:panny FZ200: The Samsung EX2F:The Oly XZ-1 and the OLY XZ-2 when it comes out. It's just been announced! I'm hoping to see and hear about Photokina next week!! My budget can go as high as $600.But, That doesn't mean that I want to unless it's a really good camera and fairly easy to use!

I have had a canon G 12. Sold it due to lack of confidence. Sold the Nikon d3100 due to the nerve damage in my hands and arms. I would be greatly appreciated to all who could help be decide which camera would be best all around for me. I like to shoot clouds,landscapes,street scenes. Close ups of flowers and bugs, Sunsets, occasional moon shot,Pets, and animals, small kids and babies,and just about any thing else that would not mind a picture taken. I really don't have a style, If I like it I'll give a shot. My shoulder is hurting, I gotta go, Thanks, Randy Hopkins rhopkins1@bak.rr.com

Welcome to the forum, Randy! I know we have people here that have used most of the cameras you listed, and I am confident that you will get some good feedback.

Also, you may want to add the Sony RX100 to your list, if budget permits. It is pretty hot right now.

Welcome to the forum, Randy! I know we have people here that have used most of the cameras you listed, and I am confident that you will get some good feedback.

Also, you may want to add the Sony RX100 to your list, if budget permits. It is pretty hot right now.

+1 on the rx100

Welcome Randy. There are a lot of experienced camera owners here that will be happy to answer your questions as you decide on your next camera.

Hi Randy, welcome to SC! And best of luck with your nerve condition!
Lots of great cameras on your list, with the odd one out probably being the FZ200. Do you mind me asking what caused the lack of confidence that led to you selling the G12? It's a camera with a lot of similarities to most cameras on your list! I'm assuming turning all kinds of control wheels isn't a problem for you, and it was mainly the weight of the DSLR that led to you selling it?

totally missed the XZ-2 leaks, thanks for reminding me :)

Hello and welcome Randy. Depending on what the issue is you might also want to take into account the presence or absence of a viewfinder (built in or add on) which would affect how you hold and support the camera.

No viewfinder on the RX100 which I would also mention and it is just beyond your budget, but its definitely one to throw in the mix.

Hello and welcome !

So far I've been pretty impressed with the S line from Canon compacts (having the old S90 myself), but from what I read I think you probably can't go wrong with the RX100. Just switched to Sony myself (NEX) and pretty darn impressed. I hope your condition is not causing your severe discomfort. And we want to see photos !

Welcome to Serious Compacts. I'd go with the camera that feels right in your hands. Get that right and the shots that are for you wont pass you by.

Bartjeej, I was very new to photography. I thought that the g12 would be a great camera for me. I just didn't have the confidence to learn about all of the mechanics of that camera, ergo, I sold it and bought a much smaller point and shoot that i still have. A panny dmc ZS9. Thanks, Randy

I'm considering a good camera that maybe used buy in very good quality high caliber point and shoot also.I have seen some new stuff on Photokina in Germany. I think that I'll look for a good camera and buy a really good camera book also. See a site that has books by Alexander White. He has written many books on various high quality cameras. Thanks, Randy H.

Welcome Randy. What's your preferred shooting position? Up against the face with a viewfinder, arms length on the LCD, maybe waist high with a flip out LCD pointing up, etc.?

Randy, I'm a bit late in adding my welcome but very glad to have you here.

I'm with Briar (AKA Karen) in suggesting what feels the best to your hands. I've got carpal tunnel syndrome and a few other strange ailments that raise themselves up from time to time. Being an old geezerette from the film days, I like straightforward controls. Have you considered the Fuji X10?

There are so many experienced photographers here and each of us has our own biases...but I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Here's hoping you can physically try some of these cameras out before you buy. Please keep us posted!

Back