Nature A "Normal" Day at Longwood Gardens

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
By that I mean I only shot a "normal" view lens: the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f/1.4. The goal was to shoot as wide open as possible and I had an overcast which helped that a lot. Sometimes I was able to shoot at f/1.4.

Longwood Gardens is a world-renowned botanical garden in Kennett Square, PA where I live.

8714205051_722314dee3_c.jpg

On the Grid by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8714204701_79cb8708c8_c.jpg

Purple Ferns by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

I had an idea for the next one: the flowers have organized and a daffodil has been selected to represent them to management...

8714204967_7f08321bc8_c.jpg

I Speak for the Flowers by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And this is why: they work long hours looking good for tourists. It's not easy...

8715326214_fe87a79174_c.jpg

Exhausted by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

They know if they stand together, they can stand tall...

8715326140_aab76b8720_c.jpg

Strength in Numbers by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

They are working for the babies in the bed at home...

8715326062_d60a82d689_c.jpg

Baby Blossom by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Now I appreciate your positve responses to my photography... but are you not completely ignoring the tragedy of what these flowers are facing with their labor action? :confused:

Look at this! When the flowers tried to protest the management dug in (and dug out) and petals flowed like water in the grassy lanes... :eek:

8714994033_76e25cdf45_c.jpg

A Sad Day for Flowers by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

The protesters were hauled off en-masse to detention in "Toro" police wagons! The "Bulls" have them now! :(

8716112850_d6985260ca_c.jpg

Mass Arrests by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Behind bars and denied counsel, they reach out for help... :mad:

8714993875_26fb387445_c.jpg

Detained by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Celebrity flowers rallied in support like these orchids... (y)

8716112624_31e4d30a31_c.jpg

I'm an Orchid and I'm Proud! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

But those who did protest were met with water hoses and hosed down. :shakehead:

8716112690_07c07d9840_c.jpg

Hosed Down by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

How long will you ignore this horrible tragedy?! :rolleyes:

Vibrant colors and effective use of thin DOF. The PL25 is a winner in your hands. The first one and the tulips are the strongest imo.

Very enjoyable series and narrative, John. As usual, your photos are top-drawer.

I think you may garner more sympathy from the cold, heartless crew here at SC if you put your photos into a video and have a soundtrack of heart-tugging music. :tongue:

Flowers don't do a damn thing for me John, and I might have resisted commenting at all (although they're very well done - its just the subject matter), but seeing the old fellows hauled off the compost heap adds immeasurably to this for me. Quite entertaining captions all around. So you've even made a thread of flower shots worth my time - well done!

-Ray

There's not a composter that can keep those protestors in.

Ha ha! I've been waiting for someone to make something of the narrative -- a joke, extending the metaphor, something! Thank you!

Flowers don't do a damn thing for me John, and I might have resisted commenting at all (although they're very well done - its just the subject matter), but seeing the old fellows hauled off the compost heap adds immeasurably to this for me. Quite entertaining captions all around. So you've even made a thread of flower shots worth my time - well done!

-Ray

Well then, Ray, I feel I have accomplished something then, lol!

I enjoy photographing the flowers but I realize it does get repetitive after awhile. Still, it's not all I do and felt the need to do something with the material instead of just saying, "Well, I shot some more flowers..."

Very enjoyable series and narrative, John. As usual, your photos are top-drawer.

I think you may garner more sympathy from the cold, heartless crew here at SC if you put your photos into a video and have a soundtrack of heart-tugging music. :tongue:

Thanks!

I'll leave that to the public TV documentaries, lol. "Ken Burns Presents: The Botanical Riots"

It does give new meaning to the phrase, "A riot of colorful blooms"...

So pretty, you make me want to go out and shoot but I'm too sick right now :( anyway, I will enjoy the beauty through you

I'll second the notion on feeling better. I'm tired as I had an all-nighter at the mill -- AND I'm on call because the only other engineer is away at some training. I'm hoping to just stay home.

Sometimes, rest is the best thing even when that urge is upon us to go make pictures!

Back