A Northern Hello

Scythe

Rookie
Hello all!

the stuff you should know for when I get my TL500 and start snapping:

I live in northern NH, Coos county to be specific. My town/village (whichever you want to call it.) has a total population of <375, and I'll be doing a lot of nature photography. I will try to get good bokeh with the TL500, but it is my understanding that it's almost impossible with compacts, and the TL500 has difficulty focusing on close objects (cropping will be required...)

I expect to be getting my camera either before christmas, or as a christmas present this year, with a class 10 sandisk card (on sale for something like $24 on amazon right now, -$60 off retail) and a joby gorillapod to experiment with long exposures. I'll setup a flickr account when my camera arrives and start bombarding it with exports from lightroom.

Until then, I'll be mostly lurking and staying close by TL500/EX1 threads.

Anyway, it will be great chatting with you guys and hi, from New Hampshire ;)

(side note: I am 15, if you critique critique to the full harshness, I hate cheerleading like "well it's amazing for your age." It's either good, or bad.)

(side note: I am 15, if you critique critique to the full harshness, I hate cheerleading like "well it's amazing for your age." It's either good, or bad.)

Ah Scythe, in just a few short years you'll see the world is not so black and white, there are so many shades of grey in the middle that you will find that some people will love your photos, some will hate them and others will be indifferent. Its the last one that you want to avoid in your picture making.

Welcome to SC!

hello and welcome!
as for bokeh with the TL500, besides macro shots I think it's also possible at full zoom for objects less than roughly 2 metres away, depending on how far the background is, although I'm only just beginning to explore it.

Looking forward to your contributions!

Scythe, welcome to Serious Compacts! I'll be looking forward to seeing your photographs with that TL500 and when you get your Flickr account you can add a link to your signature line.

Christmastime is the estimated time of arrival, eh? As much as I hate to say it, time is barreling forward and your camera will be here before you know it!;)

Scythe, welcome to Serious Compacts! I'll be looking forward to seeing your photographs with that TL500 and when you get your Flickr account you can add a link to your signature line.

Christmastime is the estimated time of arrival, eh? As much as I hate to say it, time is barreling forward and your camera will be here before you know it!;)

Last week samy's camera had the tl500 on special for $230, but I still don't have quite enough to buy it myself and get a class 10 card (shooting RAW), right now I have $170 out of the $255-325 I'll need for the camera and the card, if I get enough money before christmas I'll snag em'. If I get enough money soon I'll ask samy's to extend the $230 deal to me, or try and get B&H to pricematch them on it ;)

I wanted to get some fall foliage shots done this year, we'll have to see if I get it in time for that, if not, winter is always a spectacle to see!

To show you what I mean, this is a shot I found on google of a nearby river when the leaves are changing.

Oh yes, "leaf season" is heaven up where you live, I've no doubt about it, Scythe! Keep working and saving and we'll be here waiting to see your pictures. I do love the fall, but am not ready to say goodbye to summertime quite yet.;)

Hi Scythe,

Welcome here. I'm also a TL500 (EX1 it;s called here) user...
It's a very nice camera, and when you dig really deep into the manual, you can do a lot of nice stuff with it.
There's a lot that's not possible with this cam, but you have to focus on the things it can do !

here's a link to the manual (PDF) so you have about 4-5 month to study... :)
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/EC-TL500ZBPBUS
The only big issue for me is the battery life, that's why i carry 3 extra battery's with me, and bought a external charger (problem solved !)

There is a lot of nice material made with this camera available on the internet, including this site , so enjoy !!

Back