A question about the Marketplace and those of you who sell there.

I periodically see something I might be interested in buying from you US residents... but its a rare occasion that I see US people will sell outside the US... why is that? Its an annoyance at times, because there have been many times I would have jumped right away, even though shipping is huge, simply because even with shipping it would still be less expensive for me to get something from you, than locally (new or used)...

So, you Americans... why are you keeping it all "in house" so to speak?

It is for me personal laziness. I hate having to fill out customs forms and so forth. I try to take the easy way out. It's certainly not anything against you dang furriners, lol.

Also, I usually include shipping to make it simple, and shipping overseas is much more expensive. I could offer the option for cost minus what I had intended to spend... but again it's a character issue and I just want the easy way out!

That being said, I have on request shipped overseas. My GX1 went to elavon (Ehud) in Israel and he offered to pay whatever the shipping cost was. So I was moved to sell it to him -- but again it's easier just to sell in-country.

It is for me personal laziness. I hate having to fill out customs forms and so forth. I try to take the easy way out. It's certainly not anything against you dang furriners, lol.

Also, I usually include shipping to make it simple, and shipping overseas is much more expensive. I could offer the option for cost minus what I had intended to spend... but again it's a character issue and I just want the easy way out!

That being said, I have on request shipped overseas. My GX1 went to elavon (Ehud) in Israel and he offered to pay whatever the shipping cost was. So I was moved to sell it to him -- but again it's easier just to see in-country.

So you are saying you *would* ship overseas? I guess I just don't ask because it states specifically Location:USA | Ships: USA. Its offputting. I don't even enquire... just move on out of the for sale section, time after time.

Sue, most Americans are simply like John ;) But seriously it is worth asking the seller as s/he is usually open to the suggestion (most folks I have asked have said, "Yeah sure but you pay"...and then I offer an extra $5 for a Starbucks to offset the wait ;)).
Before we go too crook at anyone there let's have a good hard look at ourselves here. I actually believe us Aussies cannot sell digicams outside Australia based on the air restrictions on posting Li-Ion batteries.

Its always worth a question Sue

I've bought & sold stuff (not cameras) from & to USA & Canada & always been lucky - then I was dealing with people "I know"
but it can get complicated with expensive items & insurance as well as import duty in the UK

My thinking is the same as John's - much easier to deal with US domestic shipping and I know up-front what to expect in terms of shipping costs. I do consider international sales if someone asks and pass on the extra cost of the shipping. It also takes a lot longer and tracking isn't as effective when something is stuck in customs for a while etc.

For the same reason I avoid buying outside of US unless there is something I really want. Even Canada is much more of a hassle than US domestic.

I do realize that we are lucky since the US market is large and we can usually find buyers here. If you see something you want though, just ask the seller and I expect most would consider sending overseas.

-Thomas

As Thomas posted above, the issue might be it's way to easy to stay in-house. There are enough US buyers. Shipping internationally means signing declaration forms, often it means a trip to the post office, which is dreadful (for instance, you stand in line behind 3 people, only to get to the front, to be told you need a different form, now you have to step out of line, complete the form, and re-queue). I've had numerous potential buyers ask me to lie -- say it's only worth $50 or that it's broken -- so they could avoid import duties. I've also had a shipment get caught up in customs just going to Canada! The cost to get it un-stuck was more than the simple item was worth.

The question I would put is -- if I can get a US buyer, and do 1-click ship to the US address off of paypal -- the label comes off my printer, I tape it to a box, and leave it for the mailman to pick up. Done in 5 minutes. Why would I choose to complicate my life with customs, forms and border hassles?

The question I would put is -- if I can get a US buyer, and do 1-click ship to the US address off of paypal -- the label comes off my printer, I tape it to a box, and leave it for the mailman to pick up. Done in 5 minutes. Why would I choose to complicate my life with customs, forms and border hassles?
A little hurt on you for a lot more gain for a fellow human being. ;)

Beware this line of thinking can be quite dangerous...
I'd certainly cross the road to help someone, even though it's easier to ignore and keep on a walkin' on your side...

A little hurt on you for a little more gain for a fellow human being ;)

Beware this line of thinking can be quite dangerous... I'd cross the road to help someone, even though it's easier to ignore and walk on...

Mark, this is not an ethical issue. It's not the human condition, either. It's buying and selling gear. I don't believe the analogy applies at all.

Sue, most Americans are simply like John ;) But seriously it is worth asking the seller as s/he is usually open to the suggestion (most folks I have asked have said, "Yeah sure but you pay"...and then I offer an extra $5 for a Starbucks to offset the wait ;)).
Before we go too crook at anyone there let's have a good hard look at ourselves here. I actually believe us Aussies cannot sell digicams outside Australia based on the air restrictions on posting Li-Ion batteries.

Sure, Mark, but that isnt a choice *we* make. I was just curious because it does restrict what we can buy.

Sue, I think it's a bit of apprehension of increased risk, real or not. There's already a bit of risk when selling inside our countries of origin. Add to that more unknowns of what could go wrong.

I'm guessing shipping to the Commonwealth countries would really be no more risk - just more delays and costs unfortunately.

So, if you're interested and O.K. with the delays and extra tarifs and shipping, I'd say it would be worth an inquiry.

Mark, this is not an ethical issue. It's not the human condition, either. It's buying and selling gear. I don't accept the analogy at all.
Fair call. I retract my second line without reserve. But I reassert my first line ;) It really does help us folks living in a shallower pool...

I suppose we are better off here in backward Australia. We have to go to the Post Office and line up regardless of whether we are posting to the next town or a continent two over. So it's hard for us to understand the hassle...

Thanks to those who have replied so far. I get that its easier to sell inside the US, big market, easy to do (we dont get to leave things for the mailman to pick up, we *have* to go to the post office even for local stuff). So basically that market with a few exceptions is cut off from those of us not living there. Its OK, I just needed to understand the thinking.

We have to go to the Post Office and line up regardless of whether we are posting to the next town or a continent two over. So it's hard for us to understand the hassle...

That's one of the reasons I detailed our (at least, my) post office vs. home office workflow. I figure some others might have it different.

Here's some "just desserts" on me, if it makes you feel better ;) -- I've no doubt that the ease of buying and selling gear has enabled my gear churning habits, which have cost me plenty. If I had to go down to the post office to ship each time, I can guarantee that I'd second-guess it, and in the end, save a lot of money! Amazon prime is another enabler. Free 2 day shipping and $3.99 overnight shipping on any item. That's dangerous stuff.

(we dont get to leave things for the mailman to pick up, we *have* to go to the post office even for local stuff).

Funny story on that. I do leave a lot of things for my postman outside my door (I live in a very quiet, safe neighborhood, and work from home anyway). The other day, I had a chat with him and apologized for shipping 2 boxes. His reply? "Don't worry. It's job security for me."

That's one of the reasons I detailed our (at least, my) post office vs. home office workflow. I figure some others might have it different.

Here's some "just desserts" on me, if it makes you feel better ;) -- I've no doubt that the ease of buying and selling gear has enabled my gear churning habits, which have cost me plenty. If I had to go down to the post office to ship each time, I can guarantee that I'd second-guess it, and in the end, save a lot of money! Amazon prime is another enabler. Free 2 day shipping and $3.99 overnight shipping on any item. That's dangerous stuff.

Yeah you'd think that would condition us Aussies a little better. But no sirree bob. Glutton for punishment, the GAS it continues unabated...but I SOOOO despise the ardours of packaging and the Post Office. :dash2:

So you are saying you *would* ship overseas? I guess I just don't ask because it states specifically Location:USA | Ships: USA. Its offputting. I don't even enquire... just move on out of the for sale section, time after time.

I might often times. Fortune favors the bold and a polite question hurts no one.

I actually have had overseas sellers nearly demand I ship to them AT A REDUCED PRICE! This usually occurs when I have already listed some cheaply because of a cosmetic flaw and they seem to think they have a strong negotiating position, lol.

Such a request receives no reply...

Fair call. I retract my second line without reserve. But I reassert my first line ;) It really does help us folks living in a shallower pool...

I suppose we are better off here in backward Australia. We have to go to the Post Office and line up regardless of whether we are posting to the next town or a continent two over. So it's hard for us to understand the hassle...

Just for the record -- no worries on your post on ethics. Thanks for the PM. I do love the folks here, and really, I should get off my rear end and do a sale to Australia. Then I'd be more understanding of how to do more.

Well the other aspect is that stuff is cheaper to buy in the US than in the Uk Europe & Aus so when you sell with a reduced price for used goods it makes a deal sort of more attractive - but we have to factor in the extra delay & post + insurance costs & pay for it.

It does come across as a bit restrictive but I understand the resistance.

Back