Feedback A question for the lucky X100 owners :)

I've been wanting to ask this in one or more of the image threads, but I haven't wanted to be rude or anything and so I have not asked. But its got to the point now where I *must* know...

Why is it that some of the images are elongated? I see people being stretched, cars and buildings stretched (always vertically) and I am at this time not able to recall if it is all the time or *only* in the 1:1 (square) images. I do think its the latter.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is this a "feature" of Fuji's 1:1 or is it a serious bug? It bothers me quite a lot. It looks very much as if the software is squeezing a 3:2 or 4:3 image sidewise to fit the 1:1 and really... eek!

On my computer at work I find that most (possibly all, but I can't check right now) of the images I see on this forum are elongated vertically, not just X100 images. They appear fine on my laptop at home though. I'd just never bothered to ask the question why. Thanks for bringing it up.

I've actually never seen that. Some kind of browser problem? Certainly my X100 doesn't do anything of the kind.

I've been wanting to ask this in one or more of the image threads, but I haven't wanted to be rude or anything and so I have not asked. But its got to the point now where I *must* know...

Why is it that some of the images are elongated? I see people being stretched, cars and buildings stretched (always vertically) and I am at this time not able to recall if it is all the time or *only* in the 1:1 (square) images. I do think its the latter.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is this a "feature" of Fuji's 1:1 or is it a serious bug? It bothers me quite a lot. It looks very much as if the software is squeezing a 3:2 or 4:3 image sidewise to fit the 1:1 and really... eek!

I use firefox, and its not all images and I get a mix of stretched and normal in the same thread on the same page, so no, its not a browser issue. I see it on my Mac, in a virtual Windows machine on my Mac, and in Ubuntu on my netbook. I've already covered all possible reasons and thats why I am now asking about it. I have not seen it with other forums and I don't think I am seeing it with anything except the X100.

I see "normal" x100 (ie not 1:1) as they ought to be. I first noticed it with one of BBs but now am seeing it more frequently. I'll take a look at the originals if I am able to see them (on flickr for example) and see if its maybe something that the forum software is doing

No issues with Chrome, Firefox or Safari on either of my Mac's.
It may be that the image was posted to large and maybe this could cause a stretch.
Maybe you should get an X100 so you can figure this out.

I haven't seen it either, FWIW. I can't imagine its an issue with the X100, in any case. Could be a forum issue or browser issue or monitor issue, but I can't see it being a camera issue.

-Ray

Yes, I get the same here but only with Serious Compacts in Safari [Mac OSX 10.6.7] since often the same images are posted Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds News and Rumors and display normally.

For example in this thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f85/high-iso-images-2857/ the images are distorted in Safari 5.05 but correctly in Firefox 5 [in contrast to the OP -- different version?] and Chrome on the same computer. The image is also displayed correctly in Safari if I right-click "open image in new tab" in Serious Compacts.

It is obviously nothing to do with the Fuji!

Me too. No problems at all on my iMac at home and my MacBook Pro, (with 24" LED Cinema display), at work. Probably silly to ask but are you sure you don't have some display setting selected that is elongating the window, stretching it horizontally? I know on some of our Macs at work when we plug them into large LCD displays for class work we have to be careful we don't select a display setting that is disproportionate to the native display settings. Good luck.
. . . David

In my case web images display fine on my work computer (Windows XP, Internet explorer) on mu-43, flickr, POTN, etc. It's only here that I have the problem. Images are stretched vertically so that they appear taller than they should, just as Kyteflyer described in the OP.

For example in this thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f85/high-iso-images-2857/ the images are distorted in Safari 5.05 but correctly in Firefox 5 [in contrast to the OP -- different version?] and Chrome on the same computer. The image is also displayed correctly in Safari if I right-click "open image in new tab" in Serious Compacts.

See what you mean. I've just looked at the example you give and everyone certainly looks somewhat thinner and taller than i"d assume.

Another problem I'm getting is that the pictures that are posted here turn into text links when I log in. If I log out they appear as pictures again. I'm getting that in both Safari and Firefox. I was putting together the front page piece on the GF3 this morning and had to operate one browser logged in to add the content and the other logged out so I could see what the images looked like.

I am not sure what everyone is talking about. Can you put a link to the offending images?

I'll try to take a screenshot tomorrow at work. It isn't any particular images that appear that way, I think it happens all over. My monitors at work aren't widescreen, I think they may be 4:3 ratio which could be an issue.

BTW the images in the High ISO thread link look fine to me from my home laptop.

Obviously there's something weird going on somewhere. As for my photos, I swear to you that everyone looks exactly as is/was. But I am looking at them on my MacBook Pro via Safari, Chrome and Firefox - Ray's look completely normal, as well.

Please see my thread here: https://www.photographerslounge.org...-tonight-pictures-not-fully-loading-etc-2932/ which is where I'm going to move this thread since it's clearly not all about the X100.

Keep the feedback coming and please add to my thread or start a new one as well with specific problems.

The actual symptom of this display problem seems to be that images are sometimes constrained to 800 pixels width since if I look at the thread https://www.photographerslounge.org/f85/high-iso-images-2857/ and scroll down, the image posted by Burkey displays correctly but is only 800 pixels wide whereas the earlier ones are wider. That does not explain why some see it and some don't with apparently identical browsers etc.

I have turned of all extensions in Safari and cleared the cache but that does not cure it.

Back