Feedback A question for the lucky X100 owners :)

Ok, checked the images on "High ISO images"

I am using Safari 5.0.5 and Firefox 3.5.1 therefore obviously a Mac person. I checked on my both my desktop and laptop. I uses a number of sizes from 1920x1080 All the way down to and including 1024x768 and I found no elongation. The only think I find is there is a difference in how each browser handles gamma. Firefox is always more contrasty and darker than Safari.

For what it is worth I also checked on my iPad and no aspect ratio shift.

Final conclusion is i don't know what to say or how to help you.

It has been my understanding that the 1024 width should be just fine.
There is nothing "wrong"with 1024 width there is just some odd conflict somewhere for some of us.
Just to confuse you further [sorry!], if I reply to your message in the High ISO thread with quote and go to "advanced" then not only your images in the preview are correctly displayed but so are all the others correctly displayed as I scroll down the thread in the preview window.

This is what I see. It's one of my own images posted from flickr @ 1024 pixels wide, but when I take it as a screen shot it I measure it at 800 pixels wide but it remains 683 pixels high (original image ratio is 3:2 = 1024:683)

sc-example-2.jpg

I'm stumped. Can anyone post a screenshot of the issue showing in one browser side by side with another browser displaying things properly?

I've seen elongated pics on one of my office computers, but it's running a very old version of IE.

For now, I'm going with the theory that it's an X100 bug :D:D:D.

Now I think of it, a little while ago on the same work computer with internet explorer, the serious compacts site always displayed wider than the program window, so that I had to scroll across to see the list of recent threads. I can't be entirely sure but I don't think that I was having the same issue with wider images being squeezed horizontally back then. At some point maybe in the last few months the site started displaying at the same width of the program window, which I think is when I started getting the issues with the display of wider images.

I can't do a side-by-side screenshot since we use internet explorer, internet explorer, and internet explorer as alternative browsers here.

No issues with Chrome, Firefox or Safari on either of my Mac's.
It may be that the image was posted to large and maybe this could cause a stretch.
Maybe you should get an X100 so you can figure this out.

OH! Would that it were that easy! Getting an X100 now wouldmean sacrificing my K-5 and although I keep mumbling about maybe selling off all my Pentax gear... I'm not quite there yet :)

With regard to the squeezy images. It makes absolutely no sense to me that using the same browser in different operating systems should generate the same thing. It also makes no sense to me that some pix in one thread should be just fine, where others are not. In the case I am thinking of, its all X100 shots. Perhaps thats the only place I have noticed it. Luckypenguin's screenie shows exactly what I see when I look at that page, too. I've checked in flickr for those shots which have links to there, and it seems the shots are all just fine for me in flickr .

I'm going to try a switch to Safari to see if it helps, and also do the logout-login thing.

SOLVED!!

Its the theme, for me. When I went to safari I was not logged in so I decided to look without being logged in: all normal. Then, on login, things looked normal. In Firefox, I was not using the standard theme, I chose "muted blue". I've now switched to SC and all images are displaying perfectly well.

However, what this means is that the muted blue theme needs some adjustment, or replacing with something else, as an alternative (I like blues).

Happy now. It was driving me completely spare.

I've changed absolutely nothing (I'm also using the muted blue theme) but now it is displaying at the correct ratio, although it is still shrinking 1024 wide images to 800. My screen resolution is 1280x1024 pixels.

sc-example-4.jpg

Just to confirm that it is the Muted Blue Theme that causes it for me -- both the others are OK. The reason I only saw it inSafari and not in Chrome and Firefox is that I was not logged in when I checked in those browsers and so the default SC theme that was set. The "not logged in" part will account for why people see it in their default browser whichever it is but not when they check in other browsers.

If I log in with Chrome and change to "Muted Blue" I get the image distortion again.

Back