A question for Windows users of iPad

Hope there are some here...

Long story short: a couple of people at camera club last night have stopped using their iPad when travelling, to store photographs, because they "cant get them off the damn thing onto the computer". They claim to have been told there is no way to do that, which is something I said was just ridiculous, of course there's a way... and began talking of Lightroom and also ACDsee Pro, which recognise and work nicely with iPad on Mac...

Do these (or any other management apps) work nicely with Windows XP/7/8? (They have XP but I suspect they will have 8 next week, an upgrade is in the works...)

Anyone?

Hmmmm... I've never gone back from the iPad to the computer. This is something I didn't know. I don't take photos with mine as it's an iPad 1 -- but you would think iTunes can copy things back. Weird.

I'll give it a try and see if I can find a way or not.

Hope there are some here...

Long story short: a couple of people at camera club last night have stopped using their iPad when travelling, to store photographs, because they "cant get them off the damn thing onto the computer". They claim to have been told there is no way to do that, which is something I said was just ridiculous, of course there's a way... and began talking of Lightroom and also ACDsee Pro, which recognise and work nicely with iPad on Mac...

Do these (or any other management apps) work nicely with Windows XP/7/8? (They have XP but I suspect they will have 8 next week, an upgrade is in the works...)

Anyone?

The easy solution which works perfectly for me, is to install Dropbox (or similar service) on your iPad and computer. I use an iPad, android tablet, android phone, windows pc and linux pc, and everything syncs perfectly accross them all.

An iPad is easier to get images off in Windows than it is in OSX. When you connect it via the cable it just shows up as another memory card drive in Windows explorer. Then just drag and drop the files like you would off any other memory card.

Gordon

Sorry guys... I guess I really wanted to know if the iPad would talk to Lightroom (for example) in the PC as elegantly as it does on Mac. They are happy to get Lightroom at its current cost. But not if it isnt going to allow import from iPad.

BTW they arent shooting with the iPad: its a first gen, they have the camera connection kit and use that to transfer from their cameras when they are away from home.

Well, since the iPad shows up in Windows explorer as a memory card, if you have the auto detect card (and boot to import) selected in LR, then yes, it will work as you describe. Just like it would with any other camera you hook up to the computer.

And it doesn't matter whether it's files shot with the camera or from the card kit. All images are lumped in the iPads DCIM folder together. Even imported raw files.

Gordon

An iPad is easier to get images off in Windows than it is in OSX. When you connect it via the cable it just shows up as another memory card drive in Windows explorer. Then just drag and drop the files like you would off any other memory card.

Gordon

This method has always worked for me. I only use the Windows computer as a backup storage, I do any photo processing with Snapseed and the iPad.

Well, since the iPad shows up in Windows explorer as a memory card, if you have the auto detect card (and boot to import) selected in LR, then yes, it will work as you describe. Just like it would with any other camera you hook up to the computer.

And it doesn't matter whether it's files shot with the camera or from the card kit. All images are lumped in the iPads DCIM folder together. Even imported raw files.

Gordon

Thanks, Gordon. I have NO idea what on earth they have been doing (they might be good photographers but they are terrible with computers, they probably don't even know how to use Explorer) but I will let them know.

Oh also yes I know all the photos are lumped in together... just that someone else made a comment about taking pix with the ipad, and I wanted to clarify that they dont (not the least because they can't)

Thanks, Gordon. I have NO idea what on earth they have been doing (they might be good photographers but they are terrible with computers, they probably don't even know how to use Explorer) but I will let them know.

Oh also yes I know all the photos are lumped in together... just that someone else made a comment about taking pix with the ipad, and I wanted to clarify that they dont (not the least because they can't)

My Windows computer is old. The version of Windows is the one right before Vista, I think it's XP.

With that version, I don't even have to use Explorer. When I plug in the cable from the iPad, a screen pops up giving me a choice of programs to use for the download. I usually use Picasa, but sometimes Windows Media Player. I don't have any idea how the newer versions of Windows work.

My Windows computer is old. The version of Windows is the one right before Vista, I think it's XP.

With that version, I don't even have to use Explorer. When I plug in the cable from the iPad, a screen pops up giving me a choice of programs to use for the download. I usually use Picasa, but sometimes Windows Media Player. I don't have any idea how the newer versions of Windows work.

In that case, i think I have wasted your time and mine. They have XP and now you mention it I do remember it would habitually do that (i was on XP in 2003 when I switched) Perhaps they sre just telling porkies for reasons best known to themselves

You can turn that behaviour off quite easily, so it may not show on their machines. but hold down the Win key + E and explorer will open and the ipad will be there as a card drive.

Gordon

Back