A short review of what a superzoom can do

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Wide view from Oakwood Overlook two days ago.

FILE13.JPG

See the little tiny bump in the center of the horizon? Cue the big gun.

FILE12.JPG

Looking slightly to the North at full wide:

FILE15.JPG

Full zoom:

FILE14.JPG

Cheers, Jock

I've found both the RX10 iterations and FZ1000 very tempting, but as you said in the other thread, small they ain't! I just can't bring myself to carry a package larger than the Pen F and P 45-150.

I have a request - can you try a bit of astrophotography with this and report back?

I will.

Here's an astro shot taken with the FZ150:

birdfeeder_and_starry_night_009_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The problem with astro shots is that the more that you zoom in, the shorter the exposure time that is available before the stars start to streak. The shot above was 15 seconds on a tripod at full wide, and the stars are just beginning to streak.

Cheers, Jock

I've found both the RX10 iterations and FZ1000 very tempting, but as you said in the other thread, small they ain't! I just can't bring myself to carry a package larger than the Pen F and P 45-150.

Carrying the RX10 Mk4 gets a little more palatable with a couple of "hacks."

1. Extend the camera strap with a couple of hanks of parachute cord. Then you can sling it cross-body, putting the weight on the shoulder instead of the neck.

2. With the RX10 Mk4 (and its siblings) you don't need a camera bag. Put a spare battery in your pocket, and you're good to go. But it remains the size of a medium DSLR with a medium tele on it.

Cheers, Jock

Ah I was thinking of the type of astrophotography where you're able to zoom in at a specific star cluster. With a zoom like that, imagine what you can achieve if you were able to hook up the camera to an astronomy telescope.

Last edited:
Ah I was thinking of the type of astrophotography where you're able to zoom in at a specific star cluster. With a zoom like that, imagine what you can achieve if you were able to hook up the camera to an astronomy telescope.

I will give it a try, but I am guessing that I would need a tracking mount to deliver the goods.

Cheers, Jock

Back