Sony A small gripe

dmullis

Rookie
I am enjoying my new RX1r greatly, to the extent that I have had time to use it. I am a firm believer in frequently formatting my SD memory card (after downloading of course). I am yet to experience a card failure or file corruption, and I can't help but think that this practice helps. I wish that the format function could be assigned to one of the buttons on the camera, but that never seems to be an option. Perhaps that is intended to prevent accidental erasures, but the formatting process usually requires an additional button-press confirmation anyway, so accidents would be unlikely. Just an idea . . .

i agree.. or at least have it front n center somewhere in a menu
i really hate when you have to click like 5 times to get to format in some cameras menus... drives me nuts! im a constant formatter as well

Nikon DSLR bodies (at least the more pro versions) have had this perfected for generations. They have the two simultaneous button press, and single confirmation, to format each card in a camera. Simple. Perfect. And they're not dedicated buttons, yet they're permanently mapped to existing buttons. So, it's not even necessary to have to build more physical "things" to accomplish this. For instance, the matching "format" buttons are, in fact, the "trash" button and the "mode" button. Any manufacturer could simply apply the same software options to do that with an existing camera. Granted, it's unfortunate that Sony abandons their user base once a product is at market.

Everything that everyone wants can't be just a button press or two away (I don' t think). Given that, I'm OK with a bit of a menu dive to format. I'm also a serial-formatter. Every time card goes back in after download it gets formatted.

I think what we really need is a totally user-configurable camera. Someone else suggested that e-ink could be used to change button labels. Hook your camera up to your computer and map out everything you want.

im fine with the 2 button press thing
and yes, id love to be able to put anything i want anywhere!

OLY! OBEY! lol
i bet FUJI would do it... *folds arms challengingly...*

lol

i just wanna put the card in and have the camera have an option to automatically format any card put into it that you can choose to enable or not. i never pull it out and put it back in without it needing to be formatted anyways
and id even be ok with "format card?" yes/no popping up on screen

voice controls would be awesome tho

"oly, why is yer sensor so small?"
"its not the size of the sensor, its the motion of the ocean i stop with my advanced 5 axis image stablizing system..."
followed by a brief giant emoticon winky on screen

Nikon DSLR bodies (at least the more pro versions) have had this perfected for generations. They have the two simultaneous button press, and single confirmation, to format each card in a camera. Simple. Perfect. And they're not dedicated buttons, yet they're permanently mapped to existing buttons. So, it's not even necessary to have to build more physical "things" to accomplish this. For instance, the matching "format" buttons are, in fact, the "trash" button and the "mode" button. Any manufacturer could simply apply the same software options to do that with an existing camera. Granted, it's unfortunate that Sony abandons their user base once a product is at market.

Well, I had thought to include in my initial posting that I wish the same thing for my Nikon D600. I know about the "two button" thing, but I have found it to be somewhat hit and miss on my D600 and its predecessor, a D7000. I don't know why, I should be able to push two buttons at once. Anyway, I just want a single button to pull up the formatting option. Lazy I guess.

Never seemed like a big deal to me to have to go to the menu to format. I do it after every download, but I download at MOST once per day and reformatting is just part of my end of day routine after a day of shooting. Upload, stick batteries in the charger, reformat, etc... I do like the camera makers, like Olympus, who put the reformat command at the top of the default menu to come up though - I don't have to remember where it is that way. The only thing that bugs me a little bit about the RX1 is how freaking LONG it takes to reformat once you issue the command. With most cameras it just takes a couple of seconds. The RX1 can make you think it's locked up if you're not used to it...

-Ray

Back