Sony A step into NEX

pharaviel

Regular
Name
Daniele Frizzi
I everyone, I'm a regular contributor in the u43 forum and a stalker here on serious compacts.
I own some micro43 stuff and I was thinking about a nex camera.
I'm not switching system, I just want a "digital back" for my mf lenses, a 58 f1,4 and a 35 f2,8 shift. I just got in my shop (I work in an electronic store) a NEX C3 (a bit old I think), price 450 euros. Could be a nice entry level camera?
Note: I don't need the evf. I do not need speed, I'm planning to use it in the studio.
I just need/want nice image quality, manual flash control of the small flash included in the box (so I can trigger dumb flashes) and focus peaking.

Phoenix said:
Fair warning, using mf lenses on the NEX can be very addictive because of the peaking function :D imo if you're looking for a digital back for your mf lenses its hard to go wrong with a NEX.

Thank you for the warning :) I like manual focus control, but unfortunately It's almost impossible for me on dslr because of a eye disease I discovered lately.

Thank you for the warning :) I like manual focus control, but unfortunately It's almost impossible for me on dslr because of a eye disease I discovered lately.

I have a CSR (central serous retinopathy) in my right eye that makes using an EVF less appealing than it might normally be and getting focus right is a hit or miss thing because of it. I love my manual focus lenses and I picked up a NEX-C3 to use them with and I love it. Focus peaking is amazing. I just posted a lengthy write up on my experiences with the NEX-C3 and my GX1 if you're interested.

A Tale of Two Systems - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

I agree with Phoenix...it can VERY addictive.

dixeyk,
just checked your "Tale of two systems" and enjoyed the read.
My experience with NEX closely matches yours; I would just add that Minolta glass suits NEX equally damn fine:)

dixeyk,
just checked your "Tale of two systems" and enjoyed the read.
My experience with NEX closely matches yours; I would just add that Minolta glass suits NEX equally damn fine:)

I have wondered about Minolta lenses. I'll have to give some a try. Didn't the Minolta 24/2.8 also get sold as the Leica R 24/2.8 or am I mistaken? The Leica/Minolta connection has always intrigued me. The M Rokkor 40/2 is another one that has piqued my interest. Got any favorites that I should look for? BTW, a lens that I have been really happy with is the Komine made Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus (MD mount). It's a really fun lens with outstanding IQ and being able to get in close opens up some interesting possibilities.

I have a CSR (central serous retinopathy) in my right eye that makes using an EVF less appealing than it might normally be and getting focus right is a hit or miss thing because of it. I love my manual focus lenses and I picked up a NEX-C3 to use them with and I love it. Focus peaking is amazing. I just posted a lengthy write up on my experiences with the NEX-C3 and my GX1 if you're interested.

A Tale of Two Systems - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

I agree with Phoenix...it can VERY addictive.

Dixeyk, I suffer from a starting case of Keratoconus which is not really debilitating (I can do everything but reading on PC/mobile without my glasses) but makes me see multiple light sources (If i point a red dot laser on my wall, I see four dots with random lines connecting them instead of a single dot). Optical viewfinders came to be really useless, while evf that limits outside brightness are a blessing for me :)

I already read your tale on m43 but I was somewhat convinced that you chose a 5N... Don't know why I was sure of this.

Can I ask you an information about your C3? I found on dpr many people who were hacking the external flash to get a pc sync for external flashes. Is really that impossible to have the C3 shot a single flash (with manual power) without using pre-flashes? This would kill the Nex for me for studio use like it almost killed the panasonic m43 (panas have the hot shoe and I can get a sync from there).

I would just add that Minolta glass suits NEX equally damn fine:)
Well, it's the same family :friends: I'm going to use the Konica 57 f1.4 I recently got... And I don't think it will come off anytime soon.

Another NEXer here, I have the -5 and i love her dearly. I use Canon FD glass or others with FD fit, I'm especially fond of the 135mm. It does nice things like this

I'd really like the 50mm macro lens, I have the f1.8 which is fun but I want to get up close and personal with stuff.
SO I say - do it! Buy it! and if you don't like it you can sell it again. But you will. Oh yes, you will :)

Dixeyk, I suffer from a starting case of Keratoconus which is not really debilitating (I can do everything but reading on PC/mobile without my glasses) but makes me see multiple light sources (If i point a red dot laser on my wall, I see four dots with random lines connecting them instead of a single dot). Optical viewfinders came to be really useless, while evf that limits outside brightness are a blessing for me :)

I already read your tale on m43 but I was somewhat convinced that you chose a 5N... Don't know why I was sure of this.

Can I ask you an information about your C3? I found on dpr many people who were hacking the external flash to get a pc sync for external flashes. Is really that impossible to have the C3 shot a single flash (with manual power) without using pre-flashes? This would kill the Nex for me for studio use like it almost killed the panasonic m43 (panas have the hot shoe and I can get a sync from there).

Well, it's the same family :friends: I'm going to use the Konica 57 f1.4 I recently got... And I don't think it will come off anytime soon.

I probably would have chosen the 5n but at the time I bought I was still on the fence so I decided the C3 would be a good point of entry as it was $200 less than the going price for the 5n. I also liked the fact that the C3 had and additional level of MF assist (15x) that the 5n curiously dod not. Now that I know what to expect from the NEX I could see picking up a NEX6 or NEX7.

As to the Flash question...sorry I can't answer because I shoot available light. I don't even know where the flash that came with the C3 is anymore. I do remember reading about the Hotshoe adapter for the 5n. Would that help?

dixeyk said:
I probably would have chosen the 5n but at the time I bought I was still on the fence so I decided the C3 would be a good point of entry as it was $200 less than the going price for the 5n. I also liked the fact that the C3 had and additional level of MF assist (15x) that the 5n curiously dod not. Now that I know what to expect from the NEX I could see picking up a NEX6 or NEX7.

As to the Flash question...sorry I can't answer because I shoot available light. I don't even know where the flash that came with the C3 is anymore. I do remember reading about the Hotshoe adapter for the 5n. Would that help?

That hotshoe adapter would be awesome at 7,90$, but at 79$ it's not :)

21:45 add:
I believe I'm going to keep some money and get the F3 or 5N for the evf support. Unless I get some store credit at my shop (sometimes happens), in that case I'm going to buy the C3 :)

Back