Fuji A street photographer's review of the AMAZING Fuji X10

@Ray; Now i understand what you do mean. But i don't agree :) This is digital lazyness! I am used to film so i'm totally happy that i can CHANGE iso settings without changing a roll. That's enough for me but of course everyone has different needs. Cheers!

Context is everything I guess. From the context of my beginnings in photography as a kid in the late '60's and early '70s, damn near everything we use is "digital lazyness"! Auto focus, aperture and shutter priority modes, burst mode, having a light meter built right INTO the camera! And being able to change ASA (ISO) for any given shot was unheard of. Once per roll at the maximum and if you shot a lot and bought film in bulk, it could be a lot closer to never... And zoom lenses - what the hell were THOSE??? So we all choose which of these lazinesses we indulge in. I've never really gotten used to "seeing" with zoom lenses, so the X10 is a modern day abomination where my fixed lens Nikon A is a high-minded throwback to the good days of yore.

Auto ISO, OTOH, is a tool that is just now coming into it's own in the last few years as sensors have gotten good enough to trust them at very high ISO sensitivities. I personally love it when implemented well and provides me the tools to have it do exactly what I'd do if controlling it myself. And there are plenty of poor implementations of it around as well. The Nikon, the Fuji XE2, various Samsungs, no doubt several others, have EXCELLENT logic controlling (and letting the shooter control) ISO. A few others are close but fall critically short in one area or another. The X10 just didn't quite have the range for me to want to use it and didn't have the logic to set it the way I'd want to if the range was there.

So, we each choose the modern conveniences we like and tend to think of the others as the tools of the devil... :D For me, zoom lenses are tools of the devil and a good auto-ISO implementation is singing with the angels. You mileage obviously varies.... It's all good. But that's just one of the reasons I don't shoot with an X10 anymore. Among zooming compacts, though, it was one of my favorites, along with the Panasonic LX7, which is probably my all time favorite. But I don't own any of them anymore because I just didn't shoot with 'em anymore...

-Ray

And that's fine! I see your point of view. :)
X10 is the only digital (And zoom) camera i have, even if i use it only at 35mm equivalent (if you read my review you know that i bought it instead of a x100).
Btw i think the point should be: let's enjoy what we have, it's A LOT! :)
Ciao!

Hi mates!
I made a review of the little black gem we love, the X10.
If anyone is interested in reading about it and seeing what this camera is capable of, you can find it here: “STREET REVIEW”: THE FUJI X10
Peace,
Giorgio

Nice write up Giorgio. You made me miss my X10. The Sony RX100 (which replaced it) is better for me in a lot of ways, but I totally agree with the point you made about the X10 just being fun to hold and shoot.

Thanks demiro!
It's really funny that I was actually thinking of a rx100 for the bigger sensor and pocketability. So how do you compare the two cameras?

Thanks demiro!
It's really funny that I was actually thinking of a rx100 for the bigger sensor and pocketability. So how do you compare the two cameras?

Well, in terms of IQ the RX100 is pretty much better in every way to me, though not by huge margins. More resolution; sharper; better in low light;slightly wider DR; AF is at least as quick. It also offers more in-camera options (HDR; panorama; etc). And also offers much better video. The clincher for me was size. The RX100 is very much pocketable. The X10 not so for me.

Ergonomics/shooting experience for me are way better with the X10. Size in hand was just right, especially with a thumbs up grip added, and I really liked the basic OVF. Direct controls much preferred to Sony menus. I had to add a grip to the RX100 to make it usable. It is pretty good now, but I really liked using the X10, so the Sony doesn't do well in this comparison.

It's interesting to see people's preferences and to note that we all want and need different things and that there is no one universal standard.So many arguments I see on other forums are about lack of respect for other's choices and overstating the universal appeal of one's own. Said forums -- DP Review -- shall remain nameless.

I understand Ray's preference for primes, and on my E-M5 that is mostly (but not exclusively) how I shoot. I do have the 12-50kit lens and the 40-150mm, but find I rarely use them, even preferring the old Zuiko 135, 200, and 300 on the tele end to the native zooms.

I can see myself with two or three fixed, non-interchangeable lens cameras for the bulk of my shooting; I usually don't carry extra lenses when I take the E-M5, anyway, unless I'm sure I'll need them.

I do find, though, that having a small point and shoot ( it is the X10, which makes up for it's small sensor by having a faster zoom, for my purposes) is fun and convenient. I keep getting them and then getting rid of them, though, so there'is a bit of conflict. But I'm going to a party tonight, and neither my E-M5 nor DP2 Merrill are quite what I want. I wish my newly ordered, used x10 were here!.

Lawrence i totally agree with you: everyone has some preferences, so there is no universal HOLY GRAIL in photography or in cars or in everything else! ;-)

Back