Fuji A street photographer's review of the AMAZING Fuji X10

Ehhh ... I already have one. Although my dad has been using it for the past year or so. So yes, must get another one! I'll put it in the queue behind the Nikon DF and Panasonic GM1. And maybe GX7. And maybe EM1. And Fuji XE2. Sigh .... not enough dough to go around.

I liked that review a lot. Whenever I read about the X10 I'm struck by how much people seem to enjoy using it, and that's a great quality for any creative tool to have.

Although I generally like the images I see from the X10, this diverse and interesting set of pictures reminds me that I have trouble with a 4:3 aspect ratio in landscape orientation. Portrait orientation looks very natural to me in 4:3 aspect, but to my eye 4:3 landscape images are neither square nor properly rectangular, just somewhere awkwardly in the middle.

Apart from that - fun pictures and a nice review.

-R

I've had two X-10s - one with orbs and one without. Good little cameras and I liked them well enough for street work. The IQ is certainly up to it. The zone focus setup is pretty good, the sensor size assures gobs of DOF, but the auto-ISO features and/or control of manual ISO aren't good enough for me to use it over other alternatives any longer. I'd use the XE2 but that's about the only Fuji that would be in the running for me to use for street at this point.

-Ray

@Richard: I can't see a problem about the 4:3 ratio: you can crop it to 3:2 later if you don't like it ;)

@ray:why didn't you like the iso settings? I set the fn button for iso so I can change it in less than one second...

Steve, you need to go back to the Fuji XA1 thread, and encourage BB to get a XA1! I need no encouragement to buy anything! :)

No, no, no!!!!:eek:

The X10 is still mine, though I have lent it to my daughter. Honestly, I have some of my bestest pix from this camera...and honestly I think I have some of my best from every camera I've ever owned. So yes, I suffer from G.A.S. Right now my stable is all Fuji...except my OM-1 which also currently resides with my daughter.:flowers_2:

@richard: I can't see a problem about the 4:3 ratio: you can crop it to 3:2 later if you don't like it ;)

@ray:why didn't you like the iso settings? I set the fn button for iso so I can change it in less than one second...
Not to answer for Richard, but cropping is not the same thing - 28mm in a 4:3 frame is simply not as wide as 28mm in a 3:2 frame and cropping doesn't add that difference back, it just lops off the top and bottom.

As for ISO, there are lots of cameras that let you adjust the ISO manually with a press of a button. And, better yet, a few that let you keep it armed so you don't have to press a button first. But now there are a growing number of cameras that let you program the auto-ISO logic so that it will automatically maintain the ISO for optimal shutter speed/ISO balance in exactly the same way I would do it if I was controlling it manually. Having used the Nikon A this way for the better part if a year, I'm never going back. One less thing to have to think about and get in the way. I don't particularly care about this feature for most types of shooting but for quick reaction shooting like street and other action shooting with today's amazing sensors, it's invaluable.

-Ray

Regarding the 4:3 aspect and cropping, I wouldn't want to routinely crop images from the X10 down to 3:2. That's a lot of valuable pixels to discard.

It's something I might consider in the future if the sensor is larger and the pixel count higher (and I'm thinking of micro four thirds here), but not for a 2/3 inch sensor of 12MP (or is it 6?)

-R

@Ray; Now i understand what you do mean. But i don't agree :) This is digital lazyness! I am used to film so i'm totally happy that i can CHANGE iso settings without changing a roll. That's enough for me but of course everyone has different needs. Cheers!

Because of what $299 can buy, as stated so eloquently above, I just replaced my previously sold and much regretted X10 with a used one for $239. The camera had a fun factor that I have sorely missed; it was easy to take everywhere (with a case on my belt), and though it might give you the willies if you pixel-peep, at sizes up to 11x14 the images from it looked wonderful. (and I rarely print as big as 11x14, even when printing old 4x5 negatives.)

The only old glass I really want right now is a good 35mm Leica screw mount lens to use on my Bessa R and Leica IIIb. It will have to wait.

Back