Feedback A subforum for Performing Arts?

It seems to me that it would be a good idea to create a new sub forum for "Performing Arts". There are many photographers who shoot theatre, dance, music productions, school performing productions, and related cultural activities and would happily share their images. This is much like "sports" and deserves a general categorization of "arts"

I'll have to think about this - it's not up to me to decide this anyway, but my gutt reaction tells me that I'd rather see what flies before dedicating a whole category to something, however interesting.

I'm not opposed to creating a new "Art" or "Arts" subforum, but top-level would need traffic to make it seem worthwhile. I'd really prefer threads first, structure later.

As for the forum being "non intuitive": It always pays to get the lay of the land first before judging things. This forum grew organically through many mergers of very different forums - the result does have its idiosyncrasies and is somewhat messy, but I've never had any difficulties with finding a suitable place for my images. It's just a matter of looking around and exploring - or asking. In general, it may be a good idea to manage one's expectations when starting somewhere new.

We're not a business, we're a community. Either it suits you, or it doesn't. And either you fit it, or you don't. No hard feelings - that's just the way it is.

M.

I'd really prefer threads first, structure later.
Addendum, one day later:

@TonyField I moved this discussion to the "Member Feedback" section to keep it intact and ongoing.

The original post and image has been moved to "Sports and Action"; I consider this category the one that might, in due course, be renamed into something like "Sports, Action, and Performances". But we're not there yet. For the record, there's always "Other Genres" - but the sugggested route appears more promising to me.

Finally, I'm taking the opportunity to thank you for making the effort!

M.

Last edited:
Is there a forum/thread for community help. I have yet another operational problem / bug. The attachment display shows images that "belong to me" that I do not have permission to access/delete. (Blond lady with eyes and feathers). The image display does not show this

Last edited:
Is there a forum/thread for community help. I have yet another operational problem / bug. The attachment display shows images that "belong to me" that I do not have permission to access/delete. (Blond lady with eyes and feathers). The image display does not show this
I have no idea what exactly you are talking about because apart from the admin, noone else but you can access your attachments.

However, there's a trick to get rid of attachments (after a certain delay, though): If you delete them from all posts, they'll be gone after the server's done a purge. Can't tell you how quickly that'll happen, but usually, unused attachments are gone within a couple of days, maybe weeks (the latter has happened only once to me so far). If an attachment isn't used in any thread, it's more or less scheduled to get deleted - so it's probably a display bug, if at all.

The short version: It's easiest to delete attachments from within a thread; if you can't use an attachment from your list, re-upload, it's the simplest way. The unused file should be purged automatically.

Maybe if you can point @Kevin to the attachment in question, he'll be able to assess the situation more accurately.

M.

This is much like "sports" and deserves a general categorization of "arts"
Hhhmmmm.... 🤔

I can the rationale here. Can somebody come up with a short concise description of what would be expected in the forum (and how it differentiates from the existing forums)? Thought process is to create a new thread prefix for the identified content, see how much activity there has been, and go from there on whether a dedicated forum would be good.

Hhhmmmm.... 🤔

I can the rationale here. Can somebody come up with a short concise description of what would be expected in the forum (and how it differentiates from the existing forums)? Thought process is to create a new thread prefix for the identified content, see how much activity there has been, and go from there on whether a dedicated forum would be good.
That's pretty much what I suggested. An alternative would be to amend the "Action and Sports" forum and rename it to "Perfomances, Action and Sports" or straight up "Performing Arts, Action and Sports", though I think that'd narrow things in a way that may not help the cause in question (one's general, the other's niche).

Whether a dedicated subforum should be added could be determined by prefix usage. Just one person or a small group using the prefix doesn't lead to traffic worthy of a dedicated subforum; but there's a good chance it'd catch on. Anyhow, worth finding out.

M.

Hhhmmmm.... 🤔

There are a number of aspects of the performing arts: dance, music, singing, drama, opera, oratory, magic and circus arts, etc described in the Wiki. Basically any cultural performance of entertainment. These are physically and photographically different than boxing wrestling, skiing etc.

There are a number of aspects of the performing arts: dance, music, singing, drama, opera, oratory, magic and circus arts, etc described in the Wiki. Basically any cultural performance of entertainment. These are physically and photographically different than boxing wrestling, skiing etc.
Nobody is denying that. But a top level forum for something of which the demand has to still be established is not something I'll support. The fact that it's your jam doesn't make it especially important in the overall scheme of things. We don't have a "Minimalism and Mundane Sights" board even though most of my photography covers that. Nor would I ever think we should have. Take it easy - we're trying to meet you at considerably more than half way here.

M.

On this forum- Kevin added the "Attachments" option by writing custom code. This allows you to re-use attachments in other threads.
Unlike vBulletin OLD version, you cannot delete the attachment from that custom implemented screen.

What you can do: Click "View Post". this brings you to the post that has the attachment.
Then Edit the post and Delete the attachment using the little trash can icon.
L1005665.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Nobody is denying that. But a top level forum for something of which the demand has to still be established is not something I'll support. The fact that it's your jam doesn't make it especially important in the overall scheme of things. We don't have a "Minimalism and Mundane Sights" board even though most of my photography covers that. Nor would I ever think we should have. Take it easy - we're trying to meet you at considerably more than half way here.

M.
That is reasonable. I hope you can invent a framework that allows people to logically find a thread system for arts for posting and viewing.

The thread on Elvis got lumped into "street/Documentary/Stroll"

Not really any of the above, I posted my pictures of Elvis in the thread- certainly performing artist when I saw him. We've had other threads on plays, ballet, etc- performing arts.

we have a number of sub-forums under

It even has a sub-forum for showing off Gear,

Adding "Performing Arts, Musicians, and Artists"

as a sub-forum would have been a logical place for threads I've seen over the years.

So- I have thought of this before...

Last edited:

Not really any of the above, I posted my pictures of Elvis in the thread- certainly performing artist when I saw him. We've had other threads on plays, ballet, etc- performing arts.

as a sub-forum would have been a logical place for threads I've seen over the years.

Agreed. One subforum to take up that whole array would be a good thing.

And let's be clear: Our history has left us with all sorts of idiosyncrasies - gear threads in image subforums, image threads in gear subforums, and misplaced threads ....

So, yes, there are good reasons for new subforums - and I specifically second Brians proposal over my own, simpler one. However, a subforum for maybe a dozen threads frequented only by a handful of people doesn't seem worth the effort of moving stuff there. Anyhow, it may be worth a try, but the effect will probably be less than convincing.

I still feel the main issue is a completely different one. There's a reason why we've never felt the need to restructure in a major way: Most people don't click through the subforums anyway - regulars enter with the "What's new" list and review whatever thread interests them. Threads that get many takers stay alive, personal sandboxes fade from view quickly and get less and less views - the more private and exclusive, the quicker. Even the most stout egotists give up after a while because most people simply ignore them. Participation is key - and that's not won by being exclusive or "well placed" or whatever.

As long as we're clear about the fact that we're in no way helping to create attention and traffic through some kind of "order", I'm fine with whatever solution we choose - but I want the misconception that a "proper place" creates "deserved visibility" out of the way once and for all. It'll not happen that way - on the contrary.

M.

Sounds appropriate to me :)
I have no idea what exactly you are talking about because apart from the admin, noone else but you can access your attachments.

However, there's a trick to get rid of attachments (after a certain delay, though): If you delete them from all posts, they'll be gone after the server's done a purge. Can't tell you how quickly that'll happen, but usually, unused attachments are gone within a couple of days, maybe weeks (the latter has happened only once to me so far). If an attachment isn't used in any thread, it's more or less scheduled to get deleted - so it's probably a display bug, if at all.

The short version: It's easiest to delete attachments from within a thread; if you can't use an attachment from your list, re-upload, it's the simplest way. The unused file should be purged automatically.

Maybe if you can point @Kevin to the attachment in question, he'll be able to assess the situation more accurately.

M.
This message is probably incorrect however is for @Kevin.

The issue is with "zombie" attachments that I cannot delete. I created a thread with six performing arts entries and after a few minor changes, I used the 'preview' feature which did not return me to my editing screen. When looked at my attachments, I could see thumbnails of all six images, however the 'view post's option was missing. Clicking the icon of an image resulted in an error message "you do not have permission to view this page or do this operation".

This is the second time I have experienced this issue. The first time it happened was with only one image and I forget if 'preview' was used.

Subsequently, I recreated the thread. It successfully posted however the original six zombie thumbs still exist as well as the six new attachments.

MoonMind suggests that the zombie thumbs will vanish after some variable period of time.

Last edited:
Subsequently, I recreated the thread. It successfully posted however the original six zombie thumbs still exist as well as the six new attachments.
If I'm following correctly, you were creating a thread, added a few attachments, did not save the thread, but you still saw the thumbnails in your profile page Attachments listing. If that is correct then I know where I need to poke around to check the code. If that isn't correct, please let me know where you were seeing the thumbnails.

MoonMind suggests that the zombie thumbs will vanish after some variable period of time.
That is correct. XenForo does not delete attachments in real-time, instead a scheduled cron 'cleanup' job runs and that is when they are actually purged.

If I'm following correctly, you were creating a thread, added a few attachments, did not save the thread, but you still saw the thumbnails in your profile page Attachments listing. If that is correct then I know where I need to poke around to check the code. If that isn't correct, please let me know where you were seeing the thumbnails.

Correct: it occurred when I checked the 'preview' and the normal return did not happen.

The zombie thumbs appear when I click on my name and then choose the 'attachments' option. It does not appear in other image lists like "profile" / "images"

That is correct. XenForo does not delete attachments in real-time, instead a scheduled cron 'cleanup' job runs and that is when they are actually purged.

Last edited:
Back