Fuji a svelte new Fuji compact this way comes

Wow - I remember all of the complaints about turning on the X10 with the zoom ring - this is waaaaaaay more complicated! I never minded the X10 - kind of liked that way of turning the camera on, but this is quite another matter!

Damn pretty little thing though - looks like a really classy flask...

-Ray

unless there's a good reason (something along the lines of "by removing the motor for the lens extension we could make the lens better and still keep it small..." - or I don't know...) this is just a bit silly...

My first reaction was that this seems unnecessarily complex. But I think that I was influenced by the way the video was shot. It shows distinct steps for instruction. I'll wait to hear from someone who has used it; and really used it, not the few hours that passes for a review. Of course I'll also check it myself, but without any credit cards present.

I notice the camera is really flat with the lens retracted. This could be a pocketable alternative to the X10.

That may be exactly what Fuji were aiming for. I'll say one thing: Fuji are really stepping outside the norm and bringing out cameras that are very different from the usual point and shoot, DSLR or even mirrorless types we already have. The X10 is for those who want a viewfinder and blacked-out LCD screen, the new Fuji compact is for those who want something even slimmer and don't mind a full-time LCD.

unless there's a good reason (something along the lines of "by removing the motor for the lens extension we could make the lens better and still keep it small..." - or I don't know...) this is just a bit silly...

agreed. I can't even get my head around the X10's method. This would completely defeat me. What on earth is the point? Difference for its own sake? Geez. Off my shopping list (not that it was on, but... nah, not this one)

It does look a bit awkward but having a manual zoom ring would be awesome.
Actually, looking at the "turning off" part, I would expect that's what you'd normally do so you'd only have to do the whole 3 step operation when storing the camera in a pouch/pocket.

One thing that strikes me is that it looks a little bit of a feminine camera, not something many men would buy. I can't decide if it's 'manly' enough for me to buy despite it being such a good looking camera. Am i going mad? :)

Embrace your inner eostrogen and you will look fine with this camera but only if you buy a pair of shoes to match, Andy or is it Mandy?

One thing that strikes me is that it looks a little bit of a feminine camera, not something many men would buy. I can't decide if it's 'manly' enough for me to buy despite it being such a good looking camera. Am i going mad? :)

Yeah, it would look really fine coming out of a nice leather purse! But I guy could pull it off if he were very nattily dressed and pulled it out of the inner coat pocket of a pin-striped business suit and was wearing brown leather wing tips. If I were ever to consider one, I think I'd have to really push the "fancy flask" comparison I raised earlier. I'd pull it out and pretend to drink from it before subtly raising it to take a snap... :D

I can't imagine myself owning this camera, but I'd pay a few bucks for an empty case just to put it on my shelf and admire it...

-Ray

I predict Ray will buy it to try it out to see if he likes the user interface better than his begrudged new favorite compact, the RX100.

And his wife will wonder why he's suddenly wearing nice suits all the time as his flickrstream fills with sneaky self-portraits in street windows and clever reflected selfies in the reflection of ACTUAL flasks. It'll be a whole new side of Ray.

I predict Ray will buy it to try it out to see if he likes the user interface better than his begrudged new favorite compact, the RX100.

And his wife will wonder why he's suddenly wearing nice suits all the time as his flickrstream fills with sneaky self-portraits in street windows and clever reflected selfies in the reflection of ACTUAL flasks. It'll be a whole new side of Ray.

Heh heh heh. Well, that certainly WOULD be a new side of Ray. I'll let you know if it happens...

I'm afraid, though, that after the RX100 I'm not likely to "try out" any new compacts until I see folks start coming out with compacts built around equal or better sensors. I can't see myself trying any additional cameras built around 1/1.7 or 2/3 sensors. Now, if Fuji finds a way to get a 1" sensor inside a camera that looks like a flask, all bets are off! :D

-Ray

Back