A travel camera decision

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I was originally packing a small EM1 kit for my trip to Disney next week. I have decided, however, to take the RX10 instead. I never really gave this camera a fair trial and Disney presents a wide range of shooting conditions. It’s really not much bigger than the EM1 with lens and the kit is actually smaller since it’s just the one piece. I’ll be especially curious to see how it does in the weird evening lighting of deep shadows and bright lights. Definitely going to shoot raw since the jpegs were not the strongpoint of the original RX10, especially with excessive noise reduction. Anyone (especially current or former rx10 owners) have any suggestions or comments?

I have two comments.....

One, take the E-M1 with a small zoom lens.

Two, if you were happy with the RX10 in situations like this, you would have never listed it for sale.

And three.... the RX10 will do fine if you decide to go that way.....

I'm thinking that I've never given the RX10 a real try. I took a few shots of deer in the yard and wasn't thrilled. I thought of all this a days ago when I used the EM1 to take a few shots of deer in the yard and realized I had similar results. Since I go to Disney at least once a year, I won't be heartbroken if my results aren't great. But I will give it some thought. And finally, you said two comments and had three points. :D

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering buying a used RX10 ii once my budget allows, so I'm curious to see how you'll do.

I think many people don't realize how well this package compares to many ILC's with larger sensors.

Yeah, there's also the scientist in me can't resist the experiment. There's no question it will do fine with the pictures of us that we might use for an Xmas card. It's the night scenes, the animals at the Animal Kingdom, the action scenes in the shows, etc, that I'm curious about. I mostly wanted to sell it because I decided to buy the EM1 ii and I always sell stuff when I buy something new, especially if the new thing costs $1600. Since no one seems interested, I might as well have some fun with it.

The RX10 is quite a compelling in its own right; I find that low light results from the 1" sensor in many ways rival 16MP :mu43: sensors, especially when downsampling/resizing the image. I am impressed by what the FZ1000 puts out - that camera offers longer reach for less money; the RX10 is weather-resistant (to a degree), something I would have liked, and the lens is a stunner for such a long zoom (the FZ1000's is no slouch either). I think you'll have lots of fun and quite good success. I myself still prefer :mu43: for travel, but only just ... The FZ1000's is a very nice walk-around solution to carry alongside film gear, though; capable enough for most things, extremely versatile, not bigger than a mid-range DSLR, but loads more reach ...

M.

Sony DSC HX-80 which steals some of the best features from the RX100 series, including the pop-up EVF, is my "always on the front seat" camera. You really can't go wrong with the likes of the Sony RX/HX series. I also see the Lumix SZ to be in the same category - light, compact but punches above it's weight class.

After soliciting your advice, here are some pictures. I tried to include a range of conditions. Several points:
1. I alwasy forget not to judge images using the LCD.
2. The night images were better than I thought. Firstly, Disney has very harsh lighting at night and there is movement everywhere. Most of my out of focus shots were actually motion blur, including my unsteady grip. There is more noise than my Olympus, but that's the price of admission with a smaller sensor.
3. The Jpegs were actual quite good, although the darker shots were best processed with RAW.
4. The camera handles quite well and its weight is not a big deal even if you carry it all day.
balloon-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

aquacar-L.jpg

egret-L.jpg
coke-L.jpg
jammitors-L.jpg
paddlefish-L.jpg
saucer-L.jpg
topiary1-L.jpg
train-L.jpg

Attachments

• balloon.jpg
    balloon.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 96
  • aquacar.jpg
    aquacar.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 66
Back