A trip to the Junkyard with the X100

Mytola

Regular
I visited an old junkyard in Sweden last saturday together with my X100 and E-M5. There were literally hundreds of old, rusty car wrecks! Mostly models from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. The X100 did a very good job here, as usual. Here are a few pics:

8510378626_c1205653ed_b.jpg

8510379908_0e97f76592_b.jpg

8510378766_6d36fb6982_b.jpg

8510377942_27e9eed887_b.jpg

8509268647_823c186cef_b.jpg

There are a lot more pics on my blog here, both taken with the X100 and E-M5. Enjoy! :D

Thanks alot, everyone! :D

Joeradza: My workflow with the pics is pretty much like this: Import raw files into Lightroom, do any quick straightening and cropping if necessary. Slight exposure adjust if required. Then add abit of contrast, a tad of clarity, and open in Photoshop. I'll do the B&W conversion in PS, along with curves, dodging and burning. Then resize, sharpen, add the frame, and export for web. I use a cheap Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for any brushes, dodging and burning in PS. They're really cheap and quite good. A huge step up from using a mouse, IMO.

Penfan2010: I believe it's a Beetle on top in the first pic, as well as the last two black&whites. I'm not too good with cars, though... :p

I hope to be heading back in a few days. There was so much to photograph over there, and it actually got a bit confusing and overwhelming. I was particularily happy with how the black&whites turned out, and I want to take more like those when there still is some snow on the ground. I think I'll bring just the X100 next time, and use the EVF with black&white preview.

Very nice photographs. I like how you saturated the colors.

I see that you shot with the X100 and the OM-D. I bought an OM-D but am considering returning it for an X100S, hoping that the slightly smaller size, onboard flash and ND filter will make it a camera I can always put in a coat pocket. What do you think of the two and of the X100S as an only do-it-all camera? (No, I can't have both...)

Very nice photographs. I like how you saturated the colors.

I see that you shot with the X100 and the OM-D. I bought an OM-D but am considering returning it for an X100S, hoping that the slightly smaller size, onboard flash and ND filter will make it a camera I can always put in a coat pocket. What do you think of the two and of the X100S as an only do-it-all camera? (No, I can't have both...)

Thanks, Frenchman!

The OM-D is all about what lenses you use. Which ones do you have at the moment? For me, the OM-D and X100 complement each other very well, and wouldn't part with either of them. The X100 works for me for 80%-ish of my photography, but I feel the need for more reach now and then. There's where the Olympus 45mm 1.8 and 75mm 1.8 really shine together with the OM-D. The EVF on the X100 isn't as good as the one on the OM-D, but the X100s should be a lot better. Not saying that the X100's EVF is bad though. I like it.

If someone were pointing a gun to my head and told me I had to choose between a X100 and a OM-D with only ONE lens, I'd have to choose the X100. But I would definately miss the OM-D a lot!

I have the 12-50mm kit lens. At least for now while I am learning photography and composition, I do not want to have many lenses. Actually, on the OM-D I would probably just want to have two: the 12-50mm so I have something I can just shoot in the Seattle rain without any worry, and a small pancake lens so I can have it with me most of the time. The pancake lens won't be weatherproof so really, whatever the camera ends up being I think I'll just have to take chances with the drizzle!

So if I'm going to have a single small lens all the time (say the Panasonic 20/1.7 or the 14/2.50), and portability and great manual controls is what I care about, it seems that the X100S would be a good match that is a bit portable. I am sure I will miss having a zoom at times (I just went walking around the lake and some pictures of trees trunks floating in water would have been impossible to isolate without one) but I also think that the contrived format of a single lens may help me learn to do compose well. I'm also mostly interested in shooting in black and white unless the subject clearly benefits from color (like some of your cars, or images like those for example).

I want simple. At least for now. So:

- Pocketable
- Complete (I like the fact that the Fuji has a flash)
- Great manual controls (I want to be connected to the camera; I love the dedicated dials on the Fuji vs the generic ones on the OM-D even though those are a bit more flexible)
- Great JPEGs OOC since I don't have the time or inclination to post process at this time
- Fantastic B&W (and I believe that in the Fuji unlike the OM-D you can select B&W and see that as a preview in the EVF if you wanted to?)
- Fast AF and good low light (should be a close match between the two)

Does that make the X100S the better match?

Unless they're here somewhere, things I'd likely miss from the OM-D would be the instant shadow and highlight clipping indication and the better level indicator (why Fuji only has a single horizon line instead of two like in a plane cockpit or, for that matter, the Panasonic GX-1, baffles me; it seems so easy).

Honestly the X20 might be a good match for me too, with a behaviors that seem to match that of the GX-1 for shutter speed and aperture selection, but I really like the idea of having dedicated manual controls and the rigor of one focal lens (at least "on paper.") I can always get an X-20 (or GX-1 or 2 or whatever) if I feel like I want interchangeable lenses later on.

As long as the 35mm equivalent focal length suits your needs and you don't feel the need for more lens options, I'm sure the X100s will be the best camera for you. You'll get even better IQ from the X100s as well, and I must admit that I have grown as a photographer by being forced to use a single non-zoom lens for extended periods of time. I don't think you'll regret swapping the OM-D for a X100s if you would just have used the OM-D with a single lens anyway.

By the way, you can select B&W and have that as a preview in the EVF on the OM-D as well as on the Fuji.

Back