Leica A truly reliable M8...

Brian

Product of the Fifties
I packed up the M9 and sent to Leica for a new sensor. 7.5 years old- I spotted first signs of the S8612 corrosion and wanted to get the new CCD sensor put in. I like this camera- want to use it until it can no longer be repaired.

With Fall colors outside, and some snow still on the ground from yesterday's surprise- grabbed the M8 to take a walk. I've had it for 10 years now, bought used from someone that had it for 3 months, put 400 clicks on it, and sold it for 1/2 price. Mint in Box. I tend to use the Leica digital cameras much like a film camera- the M8 and M9 have about 20K~25K shots on each. I typically keep a 1952 Jupiter-3 on the M8. I like to shoot at F1.5, and the 1/8000th shutter speed is reason to keep it.

L1023089.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1023087.jpg

Reviving this older post. You know, I've been wondering if I should pick up an M8 or M8.2 one of these days. I really can't afford anything new but the M8.2 is still generally more than $2K. The only Leica I have is an original M4 with a collapsable 35mm Summaron and a 50mm Summicron. I have to wonder how that 1960s glass will work on a digital body. The other option would be to pick up a couple of 7artisans lenses, which get very good reviews considering their price. Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions?

If you want to take a chance on a M9 as-is with the old sensor, there is one for $1299:
Used Leica M9 Steel Grey Sensor Has Not Been Replace AS-IS - Used Rangefinder Cameras - Used Film Cameras - Used

Reviving this older post. You know, I've been wondering if I should pick up an M8 or M8.2 one of these days. I really can't afford anything new but the M8.2 is still generally more than $2K. The only Leica I have is an original M4 with a collapsable 35mm Summaron and a 50mm Summicron. I have to wonder how that 1960s glass will work on a digital body. The other option would be to pick up a couple of 7artisans lenses, which get very good reviews considering their price. Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions?

Leica increased the price of the M9/M9-P/M-E/Monochrom CCD sensor replacement - Leica Rumors

"Until further notice, we will continue to offer free replacement of affected sensors for the camera models stated above that were purchased as new products within the past five years.

For all camera models listed that were purchased over five years ago, we offer our customers the following program: from 12/1/2018 onward, the customer pays a contribution amounting to $1,595 plus tax and shipping for the replacement of the affected CCD sensor."

What is the deal with Leica and those sensors? Are they replacing them all for free even if out of warranty or is it all on our own dime?

Thanks. I found this as well:

I think I’ll pass. At $1000 the replacement was worth considering. At $1600, it’s too rich for me.

Around here, the M9 (with new sensor!) goes for around $1600 to $1800 if you're patient and wait for a good deal (CHF-USD parity is helpful right now - translating prices is straightforward for once). The M8 can be had for $900 to $1000. The M8.2 rarely crops up around here, so I don't know what it would fetch ...

Anyhow, after getting the M8, my desire for the M9 evaporated. *IF* you own a decent 28mm lens (that'll perform like an all-pupose 35mm one on the M8), you're set - the Voigtländer 28mm f/2 Ultron I got with the camera is a wonderful example. I was lucky - I paid $1250 for the setup in great condition; that left only the acquistion of the IR/UV filter (another $30, I think).

M.

With the M8: you will need UV/IR filters, they are not required for the M9. I would expect an M8 to go for $1200 and under. If you can afford a used M9 with a replaced sensor in good condition- I would go for it. I would expect the $2000 range.

Older lenses work beautifully on the M8, and the M9. Veiling flare tends to preserve shadow detail on digital cameras, lower contrast reduces blown highlights.

I've had my M8 for over 9 years now. Zero-Defect sensor, never had a problem. The 1/8000th second shutter speed gives it an edge over all of the M series cameras.
L1023283.jpg

With the Minolta 50/1.4, wide-open. Converted to RF coupled M-Mount.

L1019637.jpg

And one with the M9, new sensor, with Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5 at F4.

With the M8- as stated in the first post, this camera was $2500 used, MIB, in January 2010. It's held a lot of that value. Mine has ~25K clicks on the shutter, as I use the M9 and M Monochrom along with it.

Around here, the M9 (with new sensor!) goes for around $1600 to $1800 if you're patient and wait for a good deal (CHF-USD parity is helpful right now - translating prices is straightforward for once). The M8 can be had for $900 to $1000. The M8.2 rarely crops up around here, so I don't know what it would fetch ...

Anyhow, after getting the M8, my desire for the M9 evaporated. *IF* you own a decent 28mm lens (that'll perform like an all-pupose 35mm one on the M8), you're set - the Voigtländer 28mm f/2 Ultron I got with the camera is a wonderful example. I was lucky - I paid $1250 for the setup in great condition; that left only the acquistion of the IR/UV filter (another $30, I think).

M.

A serviceable M9 for $1600 would have my attention.

A serviceable M9 for $1600 would have my attention.
The one I saw here (in Switzerland, www.ricardo.ch) was sold for CHF 1690 (IIRC) last Sunday. If you want, I can keep my eyes open, but I think shipping to the U.S. would eat up most of the price advantage ...

atm., only $2000 and above (and scarce); the better offers pop up occasionally. My stable's complete, thankfully ...

M.

Back