A Walk After Work

ChangshaNotes

Regular
Name
Colin
X100

i-CCmSvNc-1200x1200.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-Wpn3JHJ-1200x1200.jpg

i-CVVF79D-1200x1200.jpg

i-Lqs8jsj-1200x1200.jpg

About a week. I usually shoot with a Sony NEX 7. I like to shoot mostly street so have been intrigued with the X100 for awhile. I got a nice deal on one here in China and decided to go for it. I usually shoot tighter using a 35mm or 40mm lens on the crop sensor, so I'm still trying to get used to the 23mm on the X100. Like almost everyone who uses it though, I'm greatly enjoying the experience.

About a week. I usually shoot with a Sony NEX 7. I like to shoot mostly street so have been intrigued with the X100 for awhile. I got a nice deal on one here in China and decided to go for it. I usually shoot tighter using a 35mm or 40mm lens on the crop sensor, so I'm still trying to get used to the 23mm on the X100. Like almost everyone who uses it though, I'm greatly enjoying the experience.

I've been toying with picking up a Fuji body as well. The 5n is still going strong but I thought that I'd like to have a Fuji body for low light stuff and to give me the ability to use some of those tasty Fujinon lenses if I ever decide to go back to using native glass. With the XE2 out I think I could find a nice clean XE1. I was originally thinking that I'd pick up an XM1 or XA1 to mirror the way I use the NEX but every so often I actually do need an EVF. How is the AF on the X100...is it leisurely as I've heard? The images sure are nice. I really like the color and the low light capabilities. Done any BW?

BTW I quite like the top one.

I've been toying with picking up a Fuji body as well. The 5n is still going strong but I thought that I'd like to have a Fuji body for low light stuff and to give me the ability to use some of those tasty Fujinon lenses if I ever decide to go back to using native glass. With the XE2 out I think I could find a nice clean XE1. I was originally thinking that I'd pick up an XM1 or XA1 to mirror the way I use the NEX but every so often I actually do need an EVF. How is the AF on the X100...is it leisurely as I've heard? The images sure are nice. I really like the color and the low light capabilities. Done any BW?

BTW I quite like the top one.

Thanks.

The AF is better than I expected and better than my NEX 7 in low light. There is a lot of talk about the .... leisurely AF but you have to make sure you look at what firmware the comments are about. The latest firmware 2.01 (I think) has few complaints really. In my opinion, coming from the NEX 5n/7, the AF speed of the X100 (with updated firmware) is no issue but I don't know anything about the XE2 or XE1.

I've taken some shots in black and white. The X100 has 4 different b&w settings. Monochrome, Yellow, Green and Red. The B&W jpegs are just as nice as the colour ones. I have gone back to shooting RAW now though as I prefer to make my own conversions.

I often like a really harsh look.

DSCF0490-Edit-Edit-2-1200x1200.jpg

That's gorgeous Colin. I also like the shot of the guy with the wagon of stuff over on the E-mount forum. Great stuff. Are you finding the fact that you can't change lenses an issue? Of course it's one heck of lens.

No issue for me. I had a tendency to pick a lens for the day with the NEX 7 and go with it anyway and I mostly used primes.

It's quite freeing actually and if I see something out of range... I just move on and forget about it but I had already gotten used to doing that carrying only one prime lens.

The X100 is a little slow writing to the card but I just picked up a fast 95mb/s SanDisk card that has really sped things up.

I'm still getting used to the focal length though. My favourite lenses on the NEX are the SEL 35/50 and the Vöigtlander Nokton 40. I never had the Zeiss 24 and didn't use the kit lens much so I'm just not used to it but time will fix that.

DSCF0575-Edit-Edit-Edit-1200x1200.jpg

Is this walk from your work to where you live? The colors are lovely but to my eye the BW is even more striking (your images are always wonderful). Is that the camera or post processing?

Is this walk from your work to where you live? The colors are lovely but to my eye the BW is even more striking (your images are always wonderful). Is that the camera or post processing?

Colin's images are superb; I love seeing work like this, thanks for posting them.

Kev, I don't want to hijack Colin's thread, but having used an XP1 for over two years now, I would say the answer to your question about BW is "both". One of the things that have always impressed me about shooting with my X-cams is they draw beautifully in black and white. Colin's excellent work in post just puts the professional touch on a wonderful image.

Oh, and BTW, I also have an X-A1 and I am very, very impressed with it's image quality. It's image quality is superior to my Oly OM-Ds. Apparently, Fuji was too, and is on record saying that the performance of the Bayer sensor they used in the X-A1 suprised even them. That is a way, way under-rated camera.

Thank you very much Stephen.

I work at a couple of different places and take different routes home.

Stephen is right. The files are nicer than I get out of the NEX. I'm sure they are not measurably better but there's something about them... a kind of depth and tone. The colour images are mostly from the vivid setting velvia I think it's called. I do very little to them. A little cropping, exposure, shadows. The black and white I do more with.

Thank you very much Stephen.

I work at a couple of different places and take different routes home.

Stephen is right. The files are nicer than I get out of the NEX. I'm sure they are not measurably better but there's something about them... a kind of depth and tone. The colour images are mostly from the vivid setting velvia I think it's called. I do very little to them. A little cropping, exposure, shadows. The black and white I do more with.

Hi Colin,
It's funny you say this (from a coincidence perspective, not funny "ha-ha"), because I was just mentioning this to someone on the phone the other day as well. It's hard to put your finger on it, and describe what "it" is, but there is *something* about the files from these Fujis that is, well, in a word, magical. The closest I've seen another camera come to it was the original Canon 5D. I've done pro motorsports journalism for over a decade now, and shot with a LOT of gear and lenses, including my Canon L-glass, pro 1-D bodies, and the Canon 1Dx. I also own and like very much the truly excellent OM-D E-M1, which is a terrific camera. But none of them have this "thing" with respect to the image quality I get from these Fuji X-cameras.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble describing it. I picked up a used X100 on a lark. Good price and in great condition from a vendor I trust. I thought it would be fun and easy to carry. The first outdoor photo I took blew me away.

Yeah. The first listing in their dictionaries would be 'alter from it's original course' as in 'pervert the course of justice'.

The had no idea of the noun.

When I came to class that day, I was faced with 50 - eighteen-year-old girls all wearing the shirt for a performance they had that evening.

Fair enough, I guess it's the same with some of the folks who go to tattoo parlour and get tattoos of kanji characters because it looks "cool" only to realise that it means 'runny nose'.

Back