a warm welcome to Mr. André Kertész ...

indeed it is ... I just leafed through the first 180 pages and I have had to put it down for feeling glutted ... and wonder again whether it is worth picking up a camera when he has already done everything I would want to do ... perfectly

Paul, if your only joy in photography is in viewing the finished photos, you can safely hang up your camera. There's millions of great ones already. But for me, 50-60% of the joy is in the creation process.

Very well said sir! I think it was George Thoroughgood who once said something along the lines of "why should I write songs when Chuck Berry already wrote them all"?!?!? Which is probably a bad example because he actually then did NOT write songs. But I agree that the process is the really fun and interesting part. Once I've created a finished version of a photograph, I'm largely done with and don't think about it beyond that other than to occasionally put a few shots up in places like this. And THEN forget about them. But the process is so enjoyable I keep coming back for more. Work like this is just that much more inspiration, even if I can never hope to equal it or even come close...

-Ray

BTW there are a ton of cheap, used books on Amazon. I buy many of mine that way. But now I need more shelves because the wife does not like my piles of books on the floor.

I find picture taking much more gratifying than picture looking, but I do and love both. And I get far more satisfaction out of viewing offline than online!

books are like crack to me and I am playing with fire even buying one or two. but at this price I wasn't going to turn it down. I still can't quite believe it.

looking at photographs as they were intended to be seen - printed - is a quite different experience to seeing them on screen.

I discovered just how different when I had a few favourites of my own printed only to discover they didn't work on paper at all ...

looking at photographs as they were intended to be seen - printed - is a quite different experience to seeing them on screen.

I discovered just how different when I had a few favourites of my own printed only to discover they didn't work on paper at all ...

I hope that isn't so because I wanted to make a couple books, one of our vacation and one of some of my photos out and about. I just want to have paper copy you know like in the olden days.

I hope that isn't so because I wanted to make a couple books
I was talking specifically about the ones I had printed, Kristen, and they didn't look bad, simply rather different than I expected ... remember a screen image and a paper print are illuminated quite differently, they will never look identical ... I really liked the way mine turned out in the SiJ book though

$50US on amazon.com. Is that about the going rate? No special in Warehouse, regrettably.

I believe so Chuck, it's a pricey lump of paper but beautifully produced, really very high quality paper and reproduction.

It's worth using BookButler - Book Price Comparison, and checking back now and again for something you want but can't afford.

I got mine for ... £0.38 ... delivered ... yes, the decimal point is in the right place ... in Americany money, that's 60¢ ...

No wonder you're so enthusiastic about your bargain!! I was thinking maybe the equivalent of $25US would be a great deal. What you paid we would call a "steal"...!

I hope that isn't so because I wanted to make a couple books, one of our vacation and one of some of my photos out and about. I just want to have paper copy you know like in the olden days.

Ditto. I don't want to print my own anymore, I'd rather have them done by someone with good printing stuff. And after the blurb thing, and realising the hard cover is the way to go, I'll probably go down that path. I have a LOT of family photographs, and photographs my father took whilst he was in the middle east during WWII, and I want to get those scanned and into print before I drop off the perch, sadly Blurb is probably the best way for the rest of the family to access those. I'd love to have a book created in iPhoto and printed by Apple, but for wider distro to the family, Blurb is the best option at the moment. I may do a bunch of my own favourite photos via Apple. I've had calendars done by them in the past and they are absolutely beautifully presented.

Getting the colours right though... thats going to have to wait til I have a screen and can borrow something to calibrate it properly :)

Back