1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured A Wedding (with the XE3)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by KillRamsey, Jan 11, 2019.

1. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator Moderators Team

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    The setup: A very good friend was getting married 2,500 miles away, on a budget. He asked me and his cousin to both shoot it. Cousin has some decent experience, has good gear (Canon 6D), and is a great guy to boot (we've hung out a few times). My XT1 isn't back from repairs yet, so it would be just the new XE3 for me. Wedding was to be indoors, at about an hour before dusk.

I brought the Rokinon 12, the 23 f2, and the 56 1.2. Cousin wasn’t around until just before the ceremony, so only I got shots of the rehearsal and festivities leading up t it.

Thoughts:

1. It got DARK in there, quick. Think “6400, f1.2, and 1/80”.
    2. Even when it was still daylight out, the ceremony happened with their backs to enormous windows, so things were seldom awesomely lit.
    3. I shot RAW+FINE for the ceremony and blasted through a 16 gig card like it was a pack of spearmint gum. And I am (ahem) NOT a “spray-n-pray” amateur, dammit. So I switched back to just FINE for afterwards, trusting my decisions.
    4. The rehearsal and ceremony wound up about 1,500 shots on card, before any culls.
    5. All edited, it wound up being 224 shots I sent them.
    6. The XE3 did wonderfully. Really, really well. If I had any little quibbles with it, they were small enough that I've forgotten them now.

Some shots I liked, for whatever reason(s):

46698480661_2bf73dc0a0_b.jpg KBRY4312-SJP by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45783191505_cb91f8c8de_b.jpg KBRY4504-SJP by gordopuggy, on Flickr

46645709022_a61706cff4_b.jpg KBRY4683-SJ2P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

31757034227_7eb280a9ef_b.jpg KBRY5017-SJ3P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45973725504_93c652fffd_b.jpg KBRY5071-SJ3P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

46698344361_20c1eab73c_b.jpg KBRY5453-SJ4P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 24
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kyle - these are some nice images. Well done.
    . . . David

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Moderators Team

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Sounds like you did well in tough lighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    Great shots. But remember Kyle, it’s not the camera, it’s the lens. No, wait, it’s the photographer. I always get that wrong.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mnhoj

mnhoj gee aahrr

Jan 27, 2012
    Well done!!

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Moderator Moderators Team

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Great shots, Beautifully done!

7. Knowing what to shoot and how to shoot it more than makes up for any shortcomings in equipment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. wt21

wt21 Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Why shoot raw + jpg at a wedding? Curious why not just go all raw and plan to process after?

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Jpgs are available and adequate for quick feedback to the clients to select from. RAW for the final product.

• Agree Agree x 2

10. I also shoot RAW+JPEG. 90% of the time my JPEG's are just fine with just an occassional bit of manipulating. Plus to share on Social Media, many sites require JPEG's which saves a step.

But I have the RAW's to fall back on if needed.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  11. bassman

bassman Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    The Bassman
    What makes weddings hard is no do-overs.
    What makes weddings easy is you usually get to shoot (with your camera!) happy people.

Nice shots.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator Moderators Team

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle

The final products are all going to be jpgs, so if you're good at getting it right in-cam, you're already almost done my way.

I don't even own a computer, I use a work laptop that's locked down, so I have no raw converter. Thus, as long as I get the photo 95% right in-camera, all I have to do to edit is a quick hit with Polarr, a web-based jpg editor.

I shot RAW to give myself the flexibility to covert through a different colorway, really. I didn't (or haven't yet, anyway) wind up using any of the RAW files. And they've got all the final shots from me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2014
    Porto, Portugal
    José
    Nice work, you’ve captured well some unique moments there!

• Like Like x 1