A Wedding (with the XE3)

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
The setup: A very good friend was getting married 2,500 miles away, on a budget. He asked me and his cousin to both shoot it. Cousin has some decent experience, has good gear (Canon 6D), and is a great guy to boot (we've hung out a few times). My XT1 isn't back from repairs yet, so it would be just the new XE3 for me. Wedding was to be indoors, at about an hour before dusk.

I brought the Rokinon 12, the 23 f2, and the 56 1.2. Cousin wasn’t around until just before the ceremony, so only I got shots of the rehearsal and festivities leading up t it.

Thoughts:

1. It got DARK in there, quick. Think “6400, f1.2, and 1/80”.
2. Even when it was still daylight out, the ceremony happened with their backs to enormous windows, so things were seldom awesomely lit.
3. I shot RAW+FINE for the ceremony and blasted through a 16 gig card like it was a pack of spearmint gum. And I am (ahem) NOT a “spray-n-pray” amateur, dammit. So I switched back to just FINE for afterwards, trusting my decisions.
4. The rehearsal and ceremony wound up about 1,500 shots on card, before any culls.
5. All edited, it wound up being 224 shots I sent them.
6. The XE3 did wonderfully. Really, really well. If I had any little quibbles with it, they were small enough that I've forgotten them now.

Some shots I liked, for whatever reason(s):

46698480661_2bf73dc0a0_b.jpg
KBRY4312-SJP
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45783191505_cb91f8c8de_b.jpg
KBRY4504-SJP
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

46645709022_a61706cff4_b.jpg
KBRY4683-SJ2P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

31757034227_7eb280a9ef_b.jpg
KBRY5017-SJ3P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

45973725504_93c652fffd_b.jpg
KBRY5071-SJ3P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

46698344361_20c1eab73c_b.jpg
KBRY5453-SJ4P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Jpgs are available and adequate for quick feedback to the clients to select from. RAW for the final product.

I also shoot RAW+JPEG. 90% of the time my JPEG's are just fine with just an occassional bit of manipulating. Plus to share on Social Media, many sites require JPEG's which saves a step.

But I have the RAW's to fall back on if needed.

Last edited:
Why shoot raw + jpg at a wedding? Curious why not just go all raw and plan to process after?

The final products are all going to be jpgs, so if you're good at getting it right in-cam, you're already almost done my way.

I don't even own a computer, I use a work laptop that's locked down, so I have no raw converter. Thus, as long as I get the photo 95% right in-camera, all I have to do to edit is a quick hit with Polarr, a web-based jpg editor.

I shot RAW to give myself the flexibility to covert through a different colorway, really. I didn't (or haven't yet, anyway) wind up using any of the RAW files. And they've got all the final shots from me.

Back