Ricoh a woman & her dog (and the gxr/summarit 50/1.5)

rbelyell

All-Pro
couple things: i wanted to post the first photo because for some reason i just really connected with it. then i looked at the rest of my shots from that day and said 'soft? who says this lens is soft?' i mean, how sharp do we require? so i posted the second photo (and its very pleasing bokeh) as well as an extreme blow up of my focus point to get other opinions.

i have really enjoyed this cam/lens combo for a couple years now. i was not enamored with the summarit on my old ep2, but once i shot with the gxr, i 'got it'. the gxr really shows off this lens's special charachter. my copy seems plenty sharp at f2.8, where both pix here were taken. i seldom shoot at f2, though i do like those results, and i virtually never shoot at 1.5 with any 50, as i personally want more DOF from my photos. i also love the color rendition and am always drawn to the smoothness of the OOF areas, even at 5.6.

lately ive been mentally hankering to trade the summarit in for a summicron 50/2 dual range. then i take it out, view the results, and i question what besides close focus ability i would gain from such a 'trade'. let me know what you think.

p1828699718-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1850574767-5.jpg

p1840743859-5.jpg

I think they're very good shots. I like the "look" of the images, but that may have more to do with your PP and the ambient lighting than with the mechanical equipment.

Ultimate sharpness is great and desirable and necessary to a degree, but as I continue my meanderings thru the photographic realm I'm learning more and more that sharpness is only a singular facet of an image's appeal.

thanks so much! on the first photo i believe the only PP i did was to sharpen up the dogs nose to eye range, maybe just lightened up the extreme left side a tad. the look from the natural lighting seemed perfect to me, so i didnt want to do anything to it that would change it.

on the second i toned down the highlights and boosted the shadows.

There you go! Luke and I, being The Ultimate Arbiters of a Lens' Worthiness, have given your Summarit our Seal of Approval.

You may now go about concerning yourself with Other Things.

:drinks:

Beautiful shots, both of them. They're the kind where the chemistry is so good the equipment doesn't matter. Add more gear if you want, but don't get rid of stuff you're doing THIS with!

-Ray

Back