Panasonic A year after the Fire (Talent, Oregon)

Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A little more than a year ago, a devastating wildfire burned more than a fifth of the small Oregon town where I live. Today much of what had been reduced to ashes is being rebuilt, but near downtown, the skeleton of a grand old building - that was once a museum-like warehouse-shop of Asian antiques - still stands, as a reminder to the suddenness of the blaze that took so much in less than a day. I wandered around it with the PL15 lens on my GX9, and took a series of shots using the l.monochrome.d in-camera monochrome filter setting.

This first image sums much of it up - looking out through what were once windows, at another part of the downtown which was miraculously spared.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#1(windows).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There is something grand about the front facade of the building.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#2(front).jpg

Moving to the left, gave me a totally different perspective.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#3(left.front).jpg

As did moving to the right of the facade, revealing portions of the Cascade mountains to the northeast.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#4(right.front).jpg

Moving inside, one is immediately aware of the absence of what had once been a roof - and different large spaces and perspectives open up.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#5.5(interior).jpg

Stepping all the way to front left edge of the building gives one more perspective.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#5(left.side).jpg

From one inside window, one can see the silhouetted shape of a tree that burned as well.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#6(inside.tree).jpg

Other small windows reveal portions of the outside world.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#7(window.bake.shop).jpg

A larger window shows that an enterprising mobile food-cart-bake-shop is now a neighbor in the post-apocalyptic period.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#8(wake'n'bake.shop).jpg

I like this reverse angle, looking back towards what was the front of the building.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#9(reverse.angle).jpg

Over this corner, the cloudy sky (threatening rain) makes one aware, again, of the absence of any roof.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#10(sky.@.corner).jpg

My final image, of a passing young parent pushing his baby stroller, gives hope for perhaps a more vibrant future.

GX9_Dec17_21_burned_building#11(baby.carriage).jpg

Last edited:
Powerful stuff. Is the last image (parent pushing baby stroller) missing?

Thank you so much for pointing this out, Simon, much appreciated.
I have now posted the final image in the series, almost more of a random accidental grab - a shot I took when I glimpsed the passing young father pushing his baby stroller - and realized it could be 'framed' inside the opening of what once was a door.

Powerful images and really well done! Having seen the destruction pretty soon after it happened, I can imagine that there is still a sense of bereavement at some of the local haunts being not only wiped out, but with such haunting remnants left around.

I love the look of these images, and just as a random thought, I would love to see some treatment with an ultrawide as well, something like the Laowa 7.5mm, as I remember how oddly the path of the fire ducked in and out of the town, something that wide could be very powerful as well I believe.

Powerful images and really well done! Having seen the destruction pretty soon after it happened, I can imagine that there is still a sense of bereavement at some of the local haunts being not only wiped out, but with such haunting remnants left around.

I love the look of these images, and just as a random thought, I would love to see some treatment with an ultrawide as well, something like the Laowa 7.5mm, as I remember how oddly the path of the fire ducked in and out of the town, something that wide could be very powerful as well I believe.

Thank you for your sensitive and right-on-the-money comments, Andrew. That sense of bereavement which you mention still persists, and I have good friends who literally lost everything they owned within the space of a few hours, and though they, their loved ones and animals survived, those kind of experiences leave a mark on one. The other truly weird part, in Talent, Oregon, at least, is that on one of the few 'main streets' that runs through the heart of the downtown area, literally everything on one side of the street burned and disappeared, but everything on the other survived. Which was and still is truly almost too surreal to fathom, let alone to process.

Your other comment, about shooting some of this with an ultrawide, like the Laowa 7.5mm, is exactly what I have thought on a few occasions. The small Laowa is on my very, very short list of lenses I'm interested in acquiring one day - partially because of Matt's remarkable images with his Laowa + GX9, in a Single-in Challenge around a year ago. If or when I ever get that lens or its equivalent, I hope to revisit some of the spaces here - of course, depending on how and whether they are still 'standing' or not, so to speak.

Back