Sony A7C vs. A7 iv

I've heard the 7C's AF was upgraded even from the 7-III. That supports the fact they improve it with each iteration. The R-III was released in '17, the III in '18, the RIV in '19, and the C was in '20. The A7-IV has the same AF as the A1 less the speed of the stacked sensor. So far that hasn't hurt me much, and with an 800+ image buffer I don't expect it ever will. The other thing the A1 and 7IV bring to the table is bird eye focus which works both in stills and video. Not sure the A1 even did that on release, I think it's available with a firmware upgrade, though that's not the case with the other models. I figure they're going to leave that feature for the rumored releases of the A1-II, A9-III, A7c-II and A7R-V.

If the rumored A9-III hits the market next year with a sensor between 30 and 40MP and has the A1/A7-IV focusing, I may take a look at it.

After the VIIIs they added Real Time tracking.
I had the RIV, C and IV altogether for a short time.
For my use(no birds) I don't think there was a difference in ease of use or stickiness between them.

The tracking on the A1, A9II and A7 IV is superior to the A7R-IV and its predecessors. You can dismiss that if you want, but it's fact. Are they still faster/better than most other cameras? Yes, but the OP's question is asked as a comparison to his experience with the A7R-III. I can say without question the A7-IV beats it hands down, by a lot. Is the A7R-IV better than the A7R-III? Probably, Sony has improved it with each iteration.
In wildlife photography , it depends on where the lens is when you throw the camera up and try to lock on. The A9, A9II and the A1 and possibly the A74 will acquire focus faster from a dead blur to sharp focus..
If you're counting on that for birds in flight , you will miss the shot. By the time the camera acquires focus, the bird is gone or not where you wanted it to be when you released the shutter.
Real world, the tracking is nearly indistinguishable.

In wildlife photography , it depends on where the lens is when you throw the camera up and try to lock on. The A9, A9II and the A1 and possibly the A74 will acquire focus faster from a dead blur to sharp focus..
If you're counting on that for birds in flight , you will miss the shot. By the time the camera acquires focus, the bird is gone or not where you wanted it to be when you released the shutter.
Real world, the tracking is nearly indistinguishable.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Given a choice between the A7c and an A7IV, the extra resolution in the viewfinder would do it for me. I would have bought an A7c for the size and position of the viewfinder- then saw it had a 2.36m finder in it. Not much better than my Olympus EP2 finder of 12 years ago.

Adding lossless compressed Raw is a plus. Sony lossy compression is chaotic, knowing that I would never use it. Lossless compression has been in use for a long time with other manufacturers, I'm surprised it took Sony this long to implement it. Like someone came up with the Lossy algorithm, thought it was cool, and kept it in the firmware for far too long.

A $700 difference, you are buying a better viewfinder and newer sensor.

Here's a sample of one of the series I was talking about in post 24. This was made today at the track. It is a 19-frame burst, so 3 seconds on the A7-IV @ it's max of 6 FPS shooting uncompressed RAW. It starts with the focus on both cars. As they launch, I move to the red car in the near lane and track it until it gets too close and too fast for me to follow. I then drop back to start shooting the car in the far lane. There is one shot where the camera picks up the sponsor signs on the lane divider, then it finds the second car. As the car moves down the track one shot is slightly out of focus. I believe it's the only one.

This is every frame that was shot in the burst, I didn't cull any because it's meant to be an example of the tracking and AF. Feel free to ignore my lousy panning skills, but note how the camera tracked even when the subject got way to the side.
I only shoot RAW, so these are all processed as I normally would.
They are downsized to 2000 pixels on the long side to make them faster to upload on my crappy internet.

And here's the fun part. The lens is the Minolta Maxxum 80-200/2.8 APO HS G A-Mount with Sony's LA-EA5 adapter. Based on what all the experts say this is impossible. Screw Drive lenses don't focus fast enough to use like this. :laugh1:

52191912388_28b4a293f3_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC04821 by telecast, on Flickr

52192383900_ea835d11a2_o.jpg
DSC04822 by telecast, on Flickr

52190885257_0522c88327_o.jpg
DSC04823 by telecast, on Flickr

52191911858_764c5e4e74_o.jpg
DSC04824 by telecast, on Flickr

52191896601_4e6356109a_o.jpg
DSC04825 by telecast, on Flickr

52190884782_9db5b0d9ed_o.jpg
DSC04826 by telecast, on Flickr

52190884647_c1cf4a837b_o.jpg
DSC04827 by telecast, on Flickr

52191896011_5da3e3f917_o.jpg
DSC04828 by telecast, on Flickr

This is the shot where the camera finds the signs in the middle
52192382800_85b80a5f2b_o.jpg
DSC04829 by telecast, on Flickr

52191910908_5e35a8cb37_o.jpg
DSC04830 by telecast, on Flickr

52191910753_7d06883c6d_o.jpg
DSC04831 by telecast, on Flickr

52191895531_db565e5028_o.jpg
DSC04832 by telecast, on Flickr

52191895436_85604f7e91_o.jpg
DSC04833 by telecast, on Flickr

52190883847_71b514598c_o.jpg
DSC04834 by telecast, on Flickr

This is the shot that's out of focus.
52191910198_cb51467525_o.jpg
DSC04835 by telecast, on Flickr

52192381935_3859710bf9_o.jpg
DSC04836 by telecast, on Flickr

52192153504_b739ebc825_o.jpg
DSC04837 by telecast, on Flickr

52191909728_278d9939c8_o.jpg
DSC04838 by telecast, on Flickr

52191909523_d27d03e8e3_o.jpg
DSC04839 by telecast, on Flickr

Bear in mind this all happened in 3 seconds.

Whenever someone utters or writes down the words "experts say", fertilizer is to be expected. "Experts say is todays thus sayeth the lord", I've heard being said, and I saw a kernel of truth in that.
I doubt even when presented with the evidence it would change anyone's mind, especially the naysayers. It's not as fast as the E-mounts but it's fast enough for what I do. It certainly does ok in the IQ department. And with the little I use this FL, $750 for lens and adapter is a lot better than $2500.

I doubt even when presented with the evidence it would change anyone's mind, especially the naysayers. It's not as fast as the E-mounts but it's fast enough for what I do. It certainly does ok in the IQ department. And with the little I use this FL, $750 for lens and adapter is a lot better than $2500.
I'm glad I'm not an expert. Means that I can say "well gosh darnit, seems like I was wrong" without feeling pain or losing face. If anything it means I've learned something.

Then again, that lens was probably meant to do exactly what you were doing with it in the day it came out. So maybe the results aren't that surprising after all... Stuff performs as should, you save money and prove a point, we all learn something... Win-win-win!

A few months ago I tested both bodies (a7c and a7m4) with same lens (za55mm f/1.8) in SONY Product Shanghai Showcase. The a7c is lighter and considerably compact than a7m4 all-around. It's autofocus is top-notch and easily nails a flying mosquito in very dim light, according to a showcase assistant. If you aim to have realiable and carefree autofocus and use it to take photos mainly, a7c is the ideal choice.
a7m4 photography performance can beat a7c a little of course (particularly in the realm of capturing birds in flight), but as far as I am aware, a7m4 has many improvements aiming to videography, which is the deal breaker for many camera buyers who want to use SONY bodies as video-camera.
I have been torn between this two as well, because I am planning to explore the realm of videography (hesitating as it is generally accepted fact that vediography is hardly ever one-man job). I would use a7c without doubt if I was to take photos only, because it is lighter, smaller, cheaper by 30%.

@Juggernaut For what it's worth Matti Sulanto - a youtube personality - ditched his a7C for a 7 IV (IIRC) exactly because of better video features. He stated that the 7C is wonderful for stills, but the interface is a bit limited on the video side of things. There's a video of it in youtube, of course. (I'm sorry I can't be arsed to find a link for you right now, we're watching moomins with my 3-yo son...)

Even though I am completely non-video, when I was evaluating the Sony models I at first liked the look of the A7C, but after watching videos and reading the specs, etc, etc, I decided that the A7IV was the way to go, even for a stills person, unless you really wanted to travel with the camera (I wouldn't). There just seemed to be many advantages to the newer A7IV, IMHO.

@RAH You have to shoot these rangefinder-styled cameras to appreciate that approach to photography. It's not specs that drive people to cameras like the GX80/GX9, X-E3/4 or Pen F. Same goes for the a7C. Though it is an incredibly capable camera for it's size, it's more the agility the smaller, lighter approach brings to the table that's the point with all of these bodies. The GX80 was one of the most fun I'd had shooting for a while, and the more agile nature of it compared to my then main shooter EOS R made me think and shoot slightly differently.

Not everyone will of course appreciate this, nor should everyone. It's an option there is for the people who can, although there aren't too many of them. I'm looking at you OM Systems, the Pen F II is long overdue.

Even though I am completely non-video, when I was evaluating the Sony models I at first liked the look of the A7C, but after watching videos and reading the specs, etc, etc, I decided that the A7IV was the way to go, even for a stills person, unless you really wanted to travel with the camera (I wouldn't). There just seemed to be many advantages to the newer A7IV, IMHO.
Interesting perspective. It sounds as if you're looking at the A7-IV as you would a GH6. The Sony has some nice video features to be sure, but it's not designed to be video centric like the GH6, which is clearly a camera designed to shoot video that also does stills. The A7-IV is a middle of the line jack of all trades. Sony reserves the premium video features for the S series, the last one released being the A7S-III.

@RAH You have to shoot these rangefinder-styled cameras to appreciate that approach to photography. It's not specs that drive people to cameras like the GX80/GX9, X-E3/4 or Pen F. Same goes for the a7C. Though it is an incredibly capable camera for it's size, it's more the agility the smaller, lighter approach brings to the table that's the point with all of these bodies. The GX80 was one of the most fun I'd had shooting for a while, and the more agile nature of it compared to my then main shooter EOS R made me think and shoot slightly differently.

Not everyone will of course appreciate this, nor should everyone. It's an option there is for the people who can, although there aren't too many of them. I'm looking at you OM Systems, the Pen F II is long overdue.
I am a big fan of small cameras. I am mainly an Oly m43 shooter and primarily use the E-M5.3 and before that the E-M10.2. So I agree with small size. I know that you are also talking about the range-finder aspect, but I have not used this type. I could see how it might even make it better. But anyway, I am mostly looking at the Sony FF bodies for a different use (more like how I use my E-M1.3 - NOT for travel or carrying around much). :)

Interesting perspective. It sounds as if you're looking at the A7-IV as you would a GH6. The Sony has some nice video features to be sure, but it's not designed to be video centric like the GH6, which is clearly a camera designed to shoot video that also does stills. The A7-IV is a middle of the line jack of all trades. Sony reserves the premium video features for the S series, the last one released being the A7S-III.
Exactly right, Brownie. I've also been greatly tempted by the Pany S5. This is mainly GAS speaking for me, and I'll probably just stick with my E-M1.3 for this type of photography, but it's fun to look and think... :)

and I'll probably just stick with my E-M1.3 for this type of photography
Unless you want to purchase a bunch of new lenses, probably the best bet. I had initially thought I would operate two systems but it didn't take long to realize that was more of a problem for my application than anticipated.

Back