Sony A7r or Leica M9 with m-Lenses

I think I understand what happens with exp comp now, thanks for the responses. It is the feature that links all three aperture/shutter/ISO settings together regardless which mode you're in, sort of a one-dial-fits-all.

I spend around 80-90% of my time in full manual mode, which is probably why I've never used the exposure compensation or it's never had any effect on my settings. I find that the M8 doesn't gauge exposure very well in most cases. The positive thing about going full manual is that I've learnt a lot about aperture, shutter, and ISO because of it. I'm never on shutter priority or full program mode. When I'm on other cameras (ie. my Canon DSLR), I tend to go in full manual mode too because of how I'm used to working with the Leica. The only other setting I might use is aperture priority but only in the rare circumstance when lighting conditions are perfect and the camera's metering is metering correctly.

I've spent so much time on the M8.2 - the manual aperture control is right on the lens, shutter speed dial on the top panel of the camera, and the ISO options are limited on the M8 so I already know which one I need to set it to. A lot of my photos are shot wide open. So that leaves most of my tinkering to the shutter speed dial after I've set the ISO. If I had a camera that also had an ISO dial, I'd be happy but that's just how I'm used to working.

Back