Sony A7r with Leica Elmar 50/2.8

biglouis

Veteran
A few weeks back I bought a 35 cron to use with the A7r. I am so pleased with the results that I decided to bite the bullet and complete the set of Leica lenses I used to own by purchasing a second-hand Leica Elmar 50/2.8 (last version).

Except amongst the cognoscenti this is a much un-loved Leica lens so the prices are very good at present. Personally, I think it has excellent sharpness and bokeh (wide open) and should not be overlooked as a lens for any a Sony or Leica system.

Cat in the box (shot wide open at f2.8)
_DSC0005-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Reed's Place, Kentish Town (f2.8)
_DSC0038-Edit.jpg

At f8 I find it makes an excellent landscape lens
College Lane, Kentish Town (f8)
_DSC0061-Edit-2.jpg

Thanks. Yes, the 35/2 has been a great addition. When I owned a M8 my range was really 35-50-90 and I now have the 35/2, Elmar 50/2.8 and Elmarit 90/2.8 - all of which seem to work well on the A7/r.

A month or so ago curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a s/h A7r to see whether it really is superior to the A7. If I am honest there is little to choose between them. Being a bit of a camera snob I decided to keep the A7r and sell the A7 (which went very quickly). I suppose the ability to crop more severely and the lack of an AA filter is a small advantage and works especially well with non-native lenses. But if people ask me for an opinion, either camera produces excellent output - more then enough for any photographer, imho.

LouisB

Back