Abandoned Cameras

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
Other manufacturers undoubtedly do it too, but Olympus has a habit of starting a line and dropping it. It was the first (I think) to drop their 35mm SLR line, and I did not like the gizmos that replaced them. I still have an Om-1, 10, and 4 in the house, even if I rarely use them.

My beef at the moment is the Stylus 1, which was followed by the 1s (essentially a firmware upgrade that you could also apply to the original model). I've had 3 Stylus 1's. I keep giving them away to worthy friends and family in Laos when I visit -- people who have a good eye but no camera. They have all rewarded me with great photos.

But the used Stylus 1 are now getting expensive. They dropped for a while and now that Olympus is not making the line anymore, they've inched back up.

I will travel to Laos again in October with a fairly small kit, the Pen-F with the 12-40mm. The lens is large, but I've become addicted to it. With that I will take the Sony RX-1 I just got and another Stylus 1 for when I want some telephoto reach. There will be days when I don't want to carry much that I will go out with just the Stylus. The event I'll go to that is my rationalization for returning so soon to a country and adopted family I love is the fireboats in Luang Prabang which look to be spectacular. I'll use the Pen for that. I love my Pen-F.

But I do wish Olympus would come out with a Stylus 2. I know all about the 1 inch sensor superzooms and have been tempted to get one. But the Stylus is a perfect compromise between camera size, sensor size, large aperture, and telephoto reach. No other camera I know of has quite the same attractions for me. The camera size is perfect to take anytime.

Which abandoned camera or system to you regret??

Last edited:
Other manufacturers undoubtedly do it too, but Olympus has a habit of starting a line and dropping it. It was the first (I think) to drop their 35mm SLR line, and I did not like the gizmos that replaced them. I still have an Om-1, 10, and 4 in the house, even if I rarely use them.

My beef at the moment is the Stylus 1, which was followed by the 1s (essentially a firmware upgrade that you could also apply to the original model). I've had 3 Stylus 1's. I keep giving them away to worthy friends and family in Laos when I visit -- people who have a good eye but no camera. They have all rewarded me with great photos.

But the used Stylus 1 are now getting expensive. They dropped for a while and now that Olympus is not making the line anymore, they've inched back up.

I will travel to Laos again in October with a fairly small kit, the Pen-F with the 12-40mm. The lens is large, but I've become addicted to it. With that I will take the Sony RX-1 I just got and another Stylus 1 for when I want some telephoto reach. There will be days when I don't want to carry much that I will go out with just the Stylus. The event I'll go to that is my rationalization for returning so soon to a country and adopted family I love is the fireboats in Luang Prabang which look to be spectacular. I'll use the Pen for that. I love my Pen-F.

But I do wish Olympus would come out with a Stylus 2. I know all about the 1 inch sensor superzooms and have been tempted to get one. But the Stylus is a perfect compromise between camera size, sensor size, large aperture, and telephone reach. No other camera I know of has quite the same attractions for me. The camera size is perfect to take anytime.

Which abandoned camera or system to you regret??

I think my OMD EM5/pancake combo might be a little like your Stylus 1 . . . maybe:

Neato pancake lens: Olympus 14-42 EZ

Cheers, Jock

The Stylus is a stand alone camera so at least there is little investment. I imagine the four thirds shooters were really ticked at Olympus.

Last edited:
Nikon keeps abandoning Nikon 1 V models - the V1 was a very nice camera with a couple of stupid design decisions that could have simply replaced; the V2 defeated the size aspect somewhat while fixing most of the handling problems, the V3 lost the EVF while offering superior handling otherwise. Rolled into a mostly V1-shaped body with the J5's sensor, you'd get one hell of a powerhouse EVIL camera, provided they actually maintained the key advantages while chopping off a third of the price ($600 body-only would be one hell of a proposition).

The elderly V1 is still a capable camera I love for street and documentary shooting. The 18.5mm f/1.8 is a really, really nice lens. Sure, all my other ILC cameras are technically superior, but the package is small, fast and delivers very competitive IQ, provided you work within its limitations and keep them in mind.

M.

I had a Stylus 1 and loved it. I gave it to a niece earlier this year and it still gets plenty of use. It's an almost perfect compromise between size, price and functionality. And you gotta love that 28-300 f/2.8 constant-aperture lens. Even the EVF isn't bad.

Can you imagine a similar camera with a one-inch sensor and weather-resistance? Would anyone buy one if the size was about that of a Sony RX10? I think I would. Put the new E-M1 Mark II battery in it.

I had the original Pentax Q. I sold that and replaced it with a Q-S1. I still have all of the lenses in the set but never bothered with the "toy" lenses. The Q-S1's larger sensor is a marked improvement over the original Q but I miss that magnesium body. Pentax insists the Q is still current and even hints at a macro lens for it. But we've seen nothing for a few years.

My brother is a Nikon 1 owner. He started with the V2 because he liked the controls better. And he just recently added a J5 body. He's keeping his eye out for bodies on closeout so he can keep the system, with its excellent lenses, in use for some time to come. A pity about the 1 series and the DL series. I suspect Nikon still isn't sure where it's going.

Last edited:
Pentax's Q7. I never liked the look of the QS and didnt want that. Can't get a Q7 for love nor money. I've been watching ebay for one for ages but all you get from time to time is a body without lenses for $AUD800+ which is ridiculous.
There was one at a reputable UK dealer (with 02 zoom) for £249 recently (I think that's $AUD410 at the mo). It hung around for a few weeks and went just as I had decided to buy it. Typical.

It's too bad the Nikon 1 didn't have the Sony 20 mp sensor from the beginning. My friend has the v2 body and it's nice in the hand and focuses quickly. I have a Q and a Q7 body with a single lens, the normalish prime. I use them periodically because they are fun. The Q7 has a better sensor but the Q is such a beautifully made little camera.

Pentax's Q7. I never liked the look of the QS and didnt want that. Can't get a Q7 for love nor money. I've been watching ebay for one for ages but all you get from time to time is a body without lenses for $AUD800+ which is ridiculous.
How expensive is it to get a camera to Australia from the US? I never understand custom issues, etc.

How expensive is it to get a camera to Australia from the US? I never understand custom issues, etc.

Its not too bad, but its the exchange rate that can be a killer, plus whatever additional fees one's bank puts on a purchase to do the conversion (which everyone with a brain knows is automatic based on whatever rate the bank is charging which is usually more than the base forex)

Customs isnt an issue, though they used to not charge import duties on stuff under $1000, I believe that has now changed. I dont know, though, its been a couple of years since I bought anything from the US

Have you looked at shipito.com? They give you a US mailing address and in theory cheaper shipping costs. I've signed up but haven't found anything to use it for yet. Plus I'm wary of the hefty UK customs charges.
I have a few shipping options, but after reading your earlier comment went looking for Q7 and there just arent any. The ebay ones turn up in searches and there arent any there. And I checked pricing on a few other things and in spite of the improving state of the AUD/USD its still cheaper to buy here (and get local warranty) than to buy from the US. IN any case, not buying another camera even if one turns up because, dammit, I want that new iphoneX even if it takes me a year to save for it.

I have a few shipping options, but after reading your earlier comment went looking for Q7 and there just arent any. The ebay ones turn up in searches and there arent any there. And I checked pricing on a few other things and in spite of the improving state of the AUD/USD its still cheaper to buy here (and get local warranty) than to buy from the US. IN any case, not buying another camera even if one turns up because, dammit, I want that new iphoneX even if it takes me a year to save for it.
The truth comes out. The difference is you will get much more use out of a phone than a camera. And, probably, a pretty nice camera that you will also carry around.

IN any case, not buying another camera even if one turns up because, dammit, I want that new iphoneX even if it takes me a year to save for it.

You know, I'm an all-Mac guy... I have an iMac, iPad and iPhone (6s). Somehow, I can't get excited over Apple's new offerings. I don't need or want most of their new features and the company doesn't seem to know what to do anymore to get all of the "cool kids" to sign up. Of course, YMMV.

Sue, I am with you there. I just got the iPhone7 a few months ago through my firm, but I will probably find a way to upgrade to the iphoneX sometime next year. IMHO the most exiting product apple has release since Steve Jobs passed.

Last edited:
Sue, I am with you there. I just got the iPhone7 a fe months ago through my firm, but I will probably find a way to upgrade to the iphoneX sometime next year. IMHO the most exiting product apple has release since Steve Jobs passed.
Actually since my post I have changed my mind. Not that I dont want it, but rather that I want to wait til next year and see what bugs etc people might find over the next 12 months. I dont *need* a new phone. I really dont. I may be more likely to update my apple watch. Not sure yet.

Back