Fuji About the name - Xtogs - Should we change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin

Hall of Famer
I dislike the word "tog" as an abbreviation for photographer.

So why then did I choose "Xtogs" as a site name for Fuji X photographers?

First, I was trying to avoid using the word "Fuji", because Fuji can always ask us to remove that, and I'd rather not change the name after the site has been well established.

Second, Xtogs is easy to remember, and having a short URL name without hyphens or special characters is generally considered a real plus. It's also easy to type into any browser, eg on a phone, etc.

Third, I figured that even people who, like me, dislike the word "tog" would get past that once they came to associate the word "Xtogs" with a great community. I still believe that.

--------

That said, I'm open to suggestions about other names for the site. We had a suggestion thread in the Serious Compacts forum, and I didn't like any of the ones that came up there. The closest one was "xphotographers.com", but that was long and generic sounding.

We could use the word Fuji and count on Fuji being generous with us. A bit risky, but it's worked for plenty of other sites, eg Nikonians, PentaxForums, etc.

If we go with a Fuji-based name, lots and lots of domain names are available: fugixclub.com, fujifolks.com, fujipeeps.com, fugila.com, fugidome.com, fujispot.com, etc - all available.

Thoughts?

I have no problem with "tog" as an abbreviation for photographer and I actually like Xtogs, seems short and to the point and rolls off the tongue quite well.

I don't mind Xtogs at all, Amin. But I'll ask this: Will using Fuji in our name bring substantially more people to the site via Internet searches? There aren't many dedicated Fuji sites on the Web. But there are some. Will using the Fuji name help us compete or rise above the noise? When I search "Xtogs" via Google, this site comes up quickly and it clearly explains what it is all about. But if I seach "Fuji" or "Fuji camera site," we're nowhere to be found. Does it matter? Or should we use some kind of search-optimized combination, like "Fujifilm Cameras: Xtogs"?

Steve, I'm pretty sure we'll come up in searches for Fuji forum or X-Pro1 forum, etc, once we're more established. We're already getting quickly and reliably indexed by Google, which is great considering how new this site is.

The official name of this site as far as search engines are concerned includes Fuji photography forum. It would definitely have its advantages to put "Fuji" in the domain name from a search standpoint, but Mu-43 has done well without "Micro Four Thirds" or "Micro 4/3" in the domain name. I think the same will be true here.

Steve, I'm pretty sure we'll come up in searches for Fuji forum or X-Pro1 forum, etc, once we're more established. We're already getting quickly and reliably indexed by Google, which is great considering how new this site is.

The official name of this site as far as search engines are concerned includes Fuji photography forum. It would definitely have its advantages to put "Fuji" in the domain name from a search standpoint, but Mu-43 has done well without "Micro Four Thirds" or "Micro 4/3" in the domain name. I think the same will be true here.

Okay, then. I vote for keeping the name. I like that it's unique. ;)

Most people here seem to not mind the name Xtogs. I actually like it -- so much that it is the entire reason I joined. Ha ha.
Seriously, it is a good catchy, memorable name. I've been happy to say "I am a street-tog." Now I am proud to say that I'm an Xtog street-tog!

IF you type "Fuji X forum" into google, Serious Compacts comes up on page one and Xtogs comes up on page two. Given how new it is, that's a pretty good result, I think, promising that typing in Fuji X will bring it up in short order .

I'm not crazy about "togs" for photographers either, but curiously, Xtogs doesn't bother me. And once you've got it, it's memorable. Besides, I like the logo.

I hate it, to be honest. I have tried, but I dislike "cute", "in-the-know" abbreviations in general that require the reader to be "in on the secret" to get it and "'togs" makes my teeth itch. Also here in the UK at least it instantly brings to mind "Terry's Old Geezers" - an unfortunate mental association that I cannot shake, no matter how I try. I'd prefer something like X-philes, X-plorers, X-shots or the like. I would, however, avoid X-perts... :rolleyes:

Sent from another Galaxy

"Togs" is not an abbreviation I have ever thought of for "photographers". However it does mean "clothes" at least in the UK so xtogs sounds a bit strange to me. Do we have to wear special clothes to use these cameras? :rolleyes: I quite like the "X-philes" suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back