Fuji About the name - Xtogs - Should we change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not that keen on the name as it has a suggestion of 1960s and 1970s clothes to me, or possibly the warmth rating for a quilt/duvet. But it doesn't bother me too much and as others have said, it's easy to remember and spell.

Also, I think once you pick a name you should try to stick to it.

-R

I don't mind it, but I don't really like it. I simply think it's not warm, and not descriptive enough, and maybe not inviting.
My preferences are for something like Xphotographers, theXphotographers etc.

All that said, as you know if the search is working, it's what people see when toy first land that will make the big difference. An inviting name helps, but content is more important.

We could go with shootingyourX, but might get traffic from an odd bunch...

Thanks to everyone for your input - please continue to weigh in. I think it's still early enough to change the name if we come up with one that most people seem to like better. As Stephen said, it's the content/community that matters, not so much the name.

However, if we don't settle on a name that most people feel is much better than the one we've got, I'll leave it alone because there's value in staying put as well.

I have to admit that I thought it was a bit odd at first and that I, too, think of "togs" as clothes...and my mother used to get a very dull clothing catalogue with that name.:rofl: So really it's kind of like picking a name for one's child or dog...if you ask too many people (even your spouse or partner!) you'll get their "memory baggage"...someone's always going to have some kind of weird memory of someone or something they knew with "that name"...

I've gotten used to it, but would like to see if anyone comes up with a really better, catchy, descriptive name.

As long as you truly don't think you should include Fuji.... FujiXphiles?

P.S. Just to be clear, Xtogs does not bother me at all - especially if the search function via Google handles it well.

Interesting point, is the extent to which, from the responses, "togs" doesn't seem to "travel well", particularly on this side of the pond - too much baggage, as has been said, and it feels like a "cute" diminutive, like "Teddy" for Edward, or "Megs" for "Margaret".

What's in a name? Actually, quite a lot in terms of brand identity and positive (and inadvertent negative) connotations. I remember when the UK utility PowerGen opened a subsidiary in Portugal and named it "PortuGen"... So far so good. The wheels came off the wagon when their next subsidiary opened in Italy - "PowerGenItalia" made it as far as a registered trade mark before somebody really looked at and realised...

Since I wrote my response this morning, I have been mulling this over and would like to formally suggest "X-philes" as a viable alternative. It is short, memorable, ancient Greek in origin and appropriate to the subject matter and intent. You could effectively play about with the x-files reference - "The Truth is in Here" for instance -if you wanted to. :rolleyes:

Just some thoughts. Ultimately the community is the thing, not the name, but I have to say I would be more likely to wear a t-shirt declaring myself an "X-phile" than an "X-tog" :)

Sent from another Galaxy

I guess most non-native English speakers have no clue what Xtogs means. I certainly didn't, but now I know, thanks to this thread. I guess it depends on your target audience: Is it rather global or local (as in the United States)?

I guess most non-native English speakers have no clue what Xtogs means. I certainly didn't, but now I know, thanks to this thread. I guess it depends on your target audience: Is it rather global or local (as in the United States)?

Global for sure

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Hey All,

Hmmm... x-philes clever but what kind of (blank)phile are you an x of? Sounds like a support group to me. While -phile is a completely legit suffix in this day and age it does have a connotation. On the other hand Togs is kind of wierd but liveable - are all the x-fotogs style (using the f instead of ph) domains taken? JMO.

-Ed-

Xphiles is taken, and I'd like to avoid hyphens.

MyFujiX.com was available, and I bought it since it was short, keyword rich, and seemed okay.

I'm warming to Xtogs, but a lot of folks from outside the US seem to disike it.

In the end, I could care less what the name is. I don't particularly mind Xtogs, but the "word" part "tog" makes me wanna fight.

MyFujiX.com is straightforward without any "inside" jokes and is much more universal in it's clear meaning. Again, I could care less what it's called, but I think clarity can only help. I'll be here regardless.

It's all good to me, there's not much we can do with the prefix X without it sounding like something sleazy, at least "togs" does say it has something to do with photography.

I doubt the name "Serious X" would sound anything other than an adult site, "Talk X" would probably sound like something that'll cost me $1.45 /min, "Xphiles" or "Xphile" sounds like someone I wouldn't want my children to hang around with, and "Photo X" or "Xphoto" (refer to Serious X)

I got zero problems with Xtogs, MyFujiX.com sounds cool too ( a bit cutesy, but it works), in the end it's just a name, it's the people inside that counts :2thumbs:

It's all good to me, there's not much we can do with the prefix X without it sounding like something sleazy, at least "togs" does say it has something to do with photography.

I doubt the name "Serious X" would sound anything other than an adult site, "Talk X" would probably sound like something that'll cost me $1.45 /min, "Xphiles" or "Xphile" sounds like someone I wouldn't want my children to hang around with, and "Photo X" or "Xphoto" (refer to Serious X)

I got zero problems with Xtogs, MyFujiX.com sounds cool too ( a bit cutesy, but it works), in the end it's just a name, it's the people inside that counts :2thumbs:

I don't know why I laughed so much at this post but I agree with everything here. I like myfujix.com :)

I don't want to play cheerleader, but what I really like about MyFujiX.com is the implied pride of ownership with the word "My" in there. It's definitely a recurring theme about how much people love these Fuji's and feel a strong connection to them. As if they are more than just a tool.

I remain very conflicted. Thinknig out loud here...

In favor of xtogs:
-shorter
-more unique/brandable

Against xtogs:
-some think togs is a demeaning abbreviation
-most people see and wonder "What is an xtog"
-a few people think of duvets, clothes, old TV shots

In favor of myfujix:
-most people see and know what that means

Against myfujix:
-Fuji is trademarked and they could make us change the name
-longer
-more generic sounding (when you search for a domain name, they suggest the "my" variant if the main one is taken)
-kind of cutesy sounding (like my little pony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back