Fuji About the name - Xtogs - Should we change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I have no problem with Xtogs... but this just popped into my head: FujiXspot.com. As in "X marks the spot." Perhaps not... I'm just thinking of something that would be clear and brandable. Is that too cute? Having Fuji in the name might also help us with the company as well... but that's not my main motivation. Nor is it Amin's, as he has stated.

I like FujiXspot.com.

It is interesting how we all bring our own experiences to bear when we're thinking about names. I never would have thought of My Little Pony, Amin!

The plus about having Fuji in the name is that people will find their way here faster and, after all, this is about the Fuji X series of cameras. That said, I know you're concerned about the Fuji name.

I understand the concern about the Fuji name. That said, there is at least one other site that does use the Fuji name in the title: Photography Community Dedicated to Fuji X Series Digital Cameras I would say if Amin likes the idea of using Fuji in the name, it would probably be worth a phone call to Fuji USA. They can probably run it past legal and let him know within a few days whether it would be an issue - or something they would like. Perhaps it would be a great way to call the site to Fuji's attention and let them know we are friendly and cooperative. If it's an issue, then Amin can make his decision with real information in hand.

I understand the concern about the Fuji name. That said, there is at least on other site that does use the Fuji name in the title: Photography Community Dedicated to Fuji X Series Digital Cameras I would say if Amin likes the idea of using Fuji in the name, it would probably be worth a phone call to Fuji USA. They can probably run it past legal and let him know within a few days whether it would be an issue - or something they would like. Perhaps it would be a great way to call the site to Fuji's attention and let them know we are friendly and cooperative. If it's an issue, then Amin can make his decision with real information in hand.

There is already fujixseries.com as you mentioned plus fujix-forum.com. There are also a ton of other examples of forums using trademarked names in their URL - eg Nikonians, PentaxForums, SonyAlphaRumors, etc etc.

I can tell you for sure that if I ask permission, legal will say "no", because if you make no attempt to protect your trademark, you can lose it. That said, usually a company will not go after their fan sites - it's just bad for publicity. On the other hand, there are cases where they do exactly that. For example, Canon told CanonRumors.com they had to remove Canon from their name (interesting because CanonRumors adheres to much higher ethical standards (IMO) than any other photo rumors site. Eventually they settled that, but it was touchy for a while.

The counterpoint is that fujixspot.com doesn't sound all that different than fujix-forum.com or fujixseries.com, so if we want a memorable name that distinguishes us, I'm not sure it's a great option.

As an aside, I knew about fujix-forum but didn't know about fujixseries until after starting this site. I did put out a feeler to see whether the many Fuji users at SC thought there it was a good idea to start a Fuji site and the response (in private as well as on the forum) was very positive, so I think there's a place for us amidst the Fuji-sphere ;).

This is really interesting: tog - Wiktionary

Neat that in Danish it can mean "expedition", so xtogs could mean Fuji X expeditions.

I also got a kick out of the fact that megatog is considered a rare derivative often used to "humorously hyperbolic" effect. The example given was:

• 1992, Susan Roaf and Mary Hancock [eds.], Energy Efficient Building: A Design Guide (Halsted Press; ISBN 0470219521, 9780470219522), page 7 <DL><DD>[Discomfort] can also [arise] if a building is maintained at an unexpected temperature such as when a hotel bedroom is much warmer than home, and they provide a megatog duvet which can result in a sweaty night.</DD></DL>
<!-- NewPP limit reportPreprocessor visited node count: 2786/1000000Preprocessor generated node count: 15928/1500000Post-expand include size: 7126/2048000 bytesTemplate argument size: 1932/2048000 bytesHighest expansion depth: 23/40Expensive parser function count: 4/500--><!-- Saved in parser cache with key enwiktionary:pcache:idhash:3393514-0!*!0!default!!en!*!* and timestamp 20130212174125 -->

"Megatog duvet" sounds like a great title for a Spinal Tap song.

This is really interesting: tog - Wiktionary

Neat that in Danish it can mean "expedition", so xtogs could mean Fuji X expeditions.

I also got a kick out of the fact that megatog is considered a rare derivative often used to "humorously hyperbolic" effect. The example given was:

"Megatog duvet" sounds like a great title for a Spinal Tap song.

Or a piece compsed by Bach while on crystal meth. :p

As I Google more for "tog" and "photographer", I'm finding that a lot of photographers find the abbreviation to be demeaning for some reason. Based on that, I think we ought to change the name. I bought fujixspot.com to keep that as a possibility, and I have myfujix.com as well. Still open to other suggestions...

Amin, I'm glad you are open to changing. Names are important - they have a power in and of themselves. I'm as likely to refer to myself as a "'tog" as I am a "Brit" - both diminish, and carry negative connotations. You cannot please everyone, but in this case I think it's a quick win to go for something both more meaningful and less divisive. :)

Sent from another Galaxy

I'm not sure why tog carries a negative connotation or diminishes. I found lengthy discussions at Model Mayhem and ePhotozine where several people said it was demeaning, but none could say why. The fact that it also means clothes or that an old show had the same letters is not (IMO) a reason to find it demeaning. To me it's like someone calling me a doc instead of a doctor or physician. Doesn't make me think of a dock for boats by the water or anything else.

Still, there's no getting around that a bunch of folks do find "tog" demeaning, even if they don't know or can't explain why.

Maybe it's because 'tog' seems an arbitrary and unattractive clipping of the word photographer. To my eyes it's a bit like reducing an architect to a 'chit' or a diplomat to a 'lom'.

But as I said earlier, it doesn't bother me that much.

-R

I guess any reduction is reducing :confused:. If I were an architect and you called me a tect, I wouldn't see that as problematic. As a physician, you are welcome to call me a doc, tor, phys, or cian. So long as people know what you mean, it works for me.

Between myfujix.com and fujixspot.com, I think I prefer fujixspot.com

Amin... do you envision this site strictly adhering to Fuji's X families? By that, I mean Fuji's superzooms and point-and-shoot's would remain the domain of Serious Compacts. I'm just asking in case you want to take that into consideration while deciding on a new name.

Steve, I think so. X10, X-S1, And XF1 belong here, but the F-series not so much. We're facing the same questions at TalkNEX.com, where Olli recently asked if we should have subforums for the RX100 and RX1.

Of course, Fuji could stop calling them X cameras when the whole X craze passes. I don't think changing names later is a big deal, at any rate. Fujix-forum used to be X100forum, and I don't think they've had much problems with the change.

Given that there are three distinct levels of X cameras (X10 - X100 - X-E1) maybe something as simple as XXXPhoto would be appropriate? I bet Amin would see search hits like never before.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back